November GT500 Track Attack!

BOD89LX

Established Member
Any members going to the November 9-10 Track Attack? I am signed up and just seeing if any Forum members are going to see if they want to connect at this event.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Surprised nobody else is going. How many days is it? Can you pay extra to extend for a day or two? How many do they have a year and how long after purchase do they send you info about it?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
1 day and you can pay for a 2nd day (but not in a GT500).

You have 1 year after delivery to attend.

Don't wait for any "info" to be sent. All you do is call and schedule a date once you have your car.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Like Tob said you have a year after delivery to go. I am in the last event of the year and the registration is closed for 2021 and will open back up sometime in 2022 .

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Tob, you did this, right? Was it everything you hoped it would be, and more?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
From June 3rd of last year...

Still not caught up from this trip but I'll do my best to hopefully impart some good advice as well as share my experience.

To begin with, the hotel recommended by the school (Terez in my case) was perfect. Near empty, plenty of parking (barely any cars there so you can park close to the hotel) and you can get in and out quickly. The promotional code provided by the school works and if you use it you'll see the rate get discounted. There are a number of bars and restaurants in the area and at current only the staff is required to wear masks so if you choose not to you won't be denied entry. I always had one with me in a small glad sandwich bag in my pocket but found I didn't need it to go into a store, gas station, or restaurant.

If you arrive the day before your scheduled track day you might want to make a dry run by the school's address just to familiarize yourself with its location. It is very close to the hotel the school suggests and you'll pass by the dragway as well on your way.

The day of your scheduled event get there a few minutes early. There aren't a whole lot of people in the covid-era classes but this will give you a chance to check in, park, register, and take a quick look at the cars if they are outside by then. They'll have you stay in your vehicle and drive to the center of the building where they will collect your covid questionnaire and take a quick thermal reading of your temperature from your forehead. They will direct you from there. Once registered inside they will put you in one of two classrooms which have the seating arranged to fall in line with social distancing requirements.

Note if you registered a guest to be with you the school will have the guest with you at times and at other times they won't be participating, for example. They do get first crack at the demo rides at the end of the day. Note - you can't bring a friend or a buddy. They won't get in. And they can't go to the track to hang out and watch from the stands either (either the speedway or dragstrip). Only registered guests can.

You'll get numerous opportunities to use bathroom facilities throughout the day but I highly suggest avoiding foods that historically may not agree with your stomach before you attend.

The school will assign you a car and you will use that vehicle all day. It will have been sanitized for your safety as well as everyone elses. On that note - the staff all have face coverings. Be sure to have your own just in case but you are not required to wear a mask while driving the car.

This may change as this is still early in the process (there was already a difference between the first class group and our second class group) but we essentially spent the first half of the day at the dragstrip and after lunch spent the rest of the day at the speedway. Sprinkled in between are classroom sessions and "get togethers." It is all very well organized in order to maximize track time as well as instruction. The day finishes with some demo laps with an instructor and after that you drive back (on a network of back roads that connect the school to the strip/speedway) for graduation. We were given the opportunity to shop after that. Then it is goodbye.:(:)

They store the cars in here prior to a given track day (both GT500 and GT350). This is where we drove through and checked in first thing.

20200601_071220-2-X3.jpg

Ok. Without a doubt, silver is the clear winner. I think everyone was blown away by how good it looked and this is with every color outside save for white.

20200601_071710-2-X3.jpg

20200601_071646-2-X2.jpg

They have you exit your vehicle at the digs and proceed to talk everything over. Basically, everyone does some individual 1/8th mile runs (pay attention to where you exit the track and remember that the left lane will always go first when exiting onto the return road). Don't be nervous about the lights and positioning your car for a given run. After the first time it is simple. You'll be in "drag mode" for all of this portion of the day. You then move onto the 1/4 mile (pay attention to where it ends as well as the end of the track!) and then side by side 1/4 mile runs.

20200601_091740-2-X2.jpg

20200601_091732-2-X2.jpg

The staff is the best there is. I had "Spencer" for my instructor throughout the day and thought he did an absolutely fantastic job. Very professional and ready to help or answer any questions you may have. These are some RAW files the school gives you that I edited to reflect what I'm trying to convey.

IMG_1574-2-X3.jpg

IMG_1573-X4.jpg

4TR_4515a-2-X2.jpg

4TR_4516a-3-X3.jpg

4TR_4498a-2x-X3.jpg

IMG_1598-2EDITED-X4.jpg

Of importance - the school didn't let us use the burnout box, so no preheating/hazing the tires before a given run. On this day that meant things could get a little squirrely at times and also meant nobody would be hitting some of the times you may have seen on YouTube etc. The track hasn't had much use and isn't as sticky as you'd hope for (I'm by no means complaining as the facility was gorgeous, clean, and the staff very professional). I didn't listen to the recommendation for launch rpm and went straight to the max. I then decreased each run by 300 rpm, eventually going as low as you could go. Even at that, traction was limited and we saw a little hop. I drove straight through the car wandering a bit at times due to available traction. In the following shot I'm doing just that. Also note the weight transfer and camber at the rear and rise at the splitter post launch...

z 4r-2a-X3.jpg

I did see a couple guys back out of a run due to their cars becoming too upset. Cliffs:
- look straight down the track but take in all the periphery
- start with a low rpm setting in drag mode and work your way up
- the first run may surprise you at how fast this car is but you'll quickly get used to it and go even faster

Once staged, I found that if I removed my foot off the brake just as the second yellow light illuminated, I wouldn't red light and got along with the tree very well. There is quite a delay in the DCT. You'll see what I'm talking about and pick up on it quickly after the first time you do it. Don't be afraid to experiment or feel bad if you red light. Best part - you barely have to wait between runs to go again, again, and again. This part of the day was a blast I honestly didn't expect.

Lunch. I think there were three different meals to choose from (I had the roast beef and it did the job well).

20200601_115344-2-XL.jpg

Charlotte Speedway was a joy I won't soon forget. My group consisted on myself, one other guy, and the instructor (Spencer). They school you on flags in case of any issue and then stagger the groups on the track. You'll start the lead/follow sessions by getting to know the line and then things will ramp up if your group is capable. This is why small groups can potentially be better. I made sure to ask the instructor how close he wanted us to him as well as each other and then did my best to stay on him. He'd say "good job guys" or "red car, give the black car some space", etc. When I immediately followed him I worked hard to mimic his brake points, lines, and his steering inputs. I'm chasing him here...

4TR_4629a-2-X3.jpg

4TR_4637a-2z-X4.jpg

The infield has plenty of elevation changes and can be tight in a few spots. This car will throttle oversteer at will if you'd like it to (I did and had a blast sliding where I wanted it to). Be prepared for the banked oval as this is where you'll feel it throughout your body. The guys here that frequent Daytona can no doubt elaborate on how you feel when banking at speed. It is something you won't forget if you've never done it. Personally, I was shocked at the grip of the 4S tires and think the aero did well here. I can't imagine how much better it would be with Cup2's and the GT4 wing! Remember, these cars have more power than the Nascar machines that can be 4 wide, etc. Insane.

4TR_4592a%20%282%29-2-X3.jpg

We were able to press pretty hard and the two of us in our group were out of fuel whereas that didn't happen to anyone else (but I'm sure they were close). So pay attention to your fuel gauge during the last session. In talking it over with the school they mentioned they may have to make an adjustment and give the cars a splash at the end of the day.

Anyway, kudos to the school for the experience they provide. It is beyond superb. If anyone has any questions, ask now as my mental hard drive dumps data on a whim and I never get it back.:)

Attachments

• z 4r-2a-X3.jpg
    z 4r-2a-X3.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

BOD89LX

Established Member
From June 3rd of last year...

Still not caught up from this trip but I'll do my best to hopefully impart some good advice as well as share my experience.

To begin with, the hotel recommended by the school (Terez in my case) was perfect. Near empty, plenty of parking (barely any cars there so you can park close to the hotel) and you can get in and out quickly. The promotional code provided by the school works and if you use it you'll see the rate get discounted. There are a number of bars and restaurants in the area and at current only the staff is required to wear masks so if you choose not to you won't be denied entry. I always had one with me in a small glad sandwich bag in my pocket but found I didn't need it to go into a store, gas station, or restaurant.

If you arrive the day before your scheduled track day you might want to make a dry run by the school's address just to familiarize yourself with its location. It is very close to the hotel the school suggests and you'll pass by the dragway as well on your way.

The day of your scheduled event get there a few minutes early. There aren't a whole lot of people in the covid-era classes but this will give you a chance to check in, park, register, and take a quick look at the cars if they are outside by then. They'll have you stay in your vehicle and drive to the center of the building where they will collect your covid questionnaire and take a quick thermal reading of your temperature from your forehead. They will direct you from there. Once registered inside they will put you in one of two classrooms which have the seating arranged to fall in line with social distancing requirements.

Note if you registered a guest to be with you the school will have the guest with you at times and at other times they won't be participating, for example. They do get first crack at the demo rides at the end of the day. Note - you can't bring a friend or a buddy. They won't get in. And they can't go to the track to hang out and watch from the stands either (either the speedway or dragstrip). Only registered guests can.

You'll get numerous opportunities to use bathroom facilities throughout the day but I highly suggest avoiding foods that historically may not agree with your stomach before you attend.

The school will assign you a car and you will use that vehicle all day. It will have been sanitized for your safety as well as everyone elses. On that note - the staff all have face coverings. Be sure to have your own just in case but you are not required to wear a mask while driving the car.

This may change as this is still early in the process (there was already a difference between the first class group and our second class group) but we essentially spent the first half of the day at the dragstrip and after lunch spent the rest of the day at the speedway. Sprinkled in between are classroom sessions and "get togethers." It is all very well organized in order to maximize track time as well as instruction. The day finishes with some demo laps with an instructor and after that you drive back (on a network of back roads that connect the school to the strip/speedway) for graduation. We were given the opportunity to shop after that. Then it is goodbye.:(:)

They store the cars in here prior to a given track day (both GT500 and GT350). This is where we drove through and checked in first thing.

View attachment 1724378

Ok. Without a doubt, silver is the clear winner. I think everyone was blown away by how good it looked and this is with every color outside save for white.

View attachment 1724379

View attachment 1724381

They have you exit your vehicle at the digs and proceed to talk everything over. Basically, everyone does some individual 1/8th mile runs (pay attention to where you exit the track and remember that the left lane will always go first when exiting onto the return road). Don't be nervous about the lights and positioning your car for a given run. After the first time it is simple. You'll be in "drag mode" for all of this portion of the day. You then move onto the 1/4 mile (pay attention to where it ends as well as the end of the track!) and then side by side 1/4 mile runs.

View attachment 1724382

View attachment 1724383

The staff is the best there is. I had "Spencer" for my instructor throughout the day and thought he did an absolutely fantastic job. Very professional and ready to help or answer any questions you may have. These are some RAW files the school gives you that I edited to reflect what I'm trying to convey.

View attachment 1724384

View attachment 1724385

View attachment 1724387

Of importance - the school didn't let us use the burnout box, so no preheating/hazing the tires before a given run. On this day that meant things could get a little squirrely at times and also meant nobody would be hitting some of the times you may have seen on YouTube etc. The track hasn't had much use and isn't as sticky as you'd hope for (I'm by no means complaining as the facility was gorgeous, clean, and the staff very professional). I didn't listen to the recommendation for launch rpm and went straight to the max. I then decreased each run by 300 rpm, eventually going as low as you could go. Even at that, traction was limited and we saw a little hop. I drove straight through the car wandering a bit at times due to available traction. In the following shot I'm doing just that. Also note the weight transfer and camber at the rear and rise at the splitter post launch...

View attachment 1724388

I did see a couple guys back out of a run due to their cars becoming too upset. Cliffs:
- look straight down the track but take in all the periphery
- start with a low rpm setting in drag mode and work your way up
- the first run may surprise you at how fast this car is but you'll quickly get used to it and go even faster

Once staged, I found that if I removed my foot off the brake just as the second yellow light illuminated, I wouldn't red light and got along with the tree very well. There is quite a delay in the DCT. You'll see what I'm talking about and pick up on it quickly after the first time you do it. Don't be afraid to experiment or feel bad if you red light. Best part - you barely have to wait between runs to go again, again, and again. This part of the day was a blast I honestly didn't expect.

Lunch. I think there were three different meals to choose from (I had the roast beef and it did the job well).

20200601_115344-2-XL.jpg

Charlotte Speedway was a joy I won't soon forget. My group consisted on myself, one other guy, and the instructor (Spencer). They school you on flags in case of any issue and then stagger the groups on the track. You'll start the lead/follow sessions by getting to know the line and then things will ramp up if your group is capable. This is why small groups can potentially be better. I made sure to ask the instructor how close he wanted us to him as well as each other and then did my best to stay on him. He'd say "good job guys" or "red car, give the black car some space", etc. When I immediately followed him I worked hard to mimic his brake points, lines, and his steering inputs. I'm chasing him here...

4TR_4629a-2-X3.jpg

4TR_4637a-2z-X4.jpg

The infield has plenty of elevation changes and can be tight in a few spots. This car will throttle oversteer at will if you'd like it to (I did and had a blast sliding where I wanted it to). Be prepared for the banked oval as this is where you'll feel it throughout your body. The guys here that frequent Daytona can no doubt elaborate on how you feel when banking at speed. It is something you won't forget if you've never done it. Personally, I was shocked at the grip of the 4S tires and think the aero did well here. I can't imagine how much better it would be with Cup2's and the GT4 wing! Remember, these cars have more power than the Nascar machines that can be 4 wide, etc. Insane.

4TR_4592a%20%282%29-2-X3.jpg

We were able to press pretty hard and the two of us in our group were out of fuel whereas that didn't happen to anyone else (but I'm sure they were close). So pay attention to your fuel gauge during the last session. In talking it over with the school they mentioned they may have to make an adjustment and give the cars a splash at the end of the day.

Anyway, kudos to the school for the experience they provide. It is beyond superb. If anyone has any questions, ask now as my mental hard drive dumps data on a whim and I never get it back.:)
Thank you very much for the detailed outline of what to expect. I am really looking forward to the experience.

Users who are viewing this thread