O/T events in a vert?

jm35ny

Established Member
One of my buddies is planning on running some O/T events and a couple of autocrosses next year in his 04 cobra, the only problem is that its a convertible. I have an 03 vert also and both our cars have FLSC, strut twr brace, and other mods but they still flex alot. I told him if he should probably consider selling or trading it for a coupe, what do you guys think?:shrug:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
If you're racing and need to beat the competition, get a coupe.
If you just want to go out and have fun, get a roll bar. :D

jm35ny

Established Member
Thanks that Seems like good advise! He`s mostly looking to have and he is planing on installing a 6 point from Max Motorsports.

How solid does your car feel around the track? It looks awesome

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
If you're racing and need to beat the competition, get a coupe.
If you just want to go out and have fun, get a roll bar. :D

In the words of internet punkdom, PLUS ONE HUNERT, MANG.

What Greg says is the absolute truth. Just get a bolt-in MM or Autopower rollbar and start getting seat time. You never know, you may sell those Cobras for something else after you get some experience.

Whatever rollbar you get, ensure it is NOT a drag race versio, you need to ensure you get one that is acceptable for open tracking. In addition to the main hoop, it has to have rear diagonal bars, a cross/harness bar, and a diagonal cross bar.

This is an Autopower. I don't see a single MM bar on the MM page that I would install in an open track Mustang Vert.

ATPHB.jpg

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I used to O/T a 95 convert that had a lot of suspension mods and ran the above pictured Autopower. My car also had SFCs. The rollbar definately helped. However, if you are considering doing anything past autocross I wouldn't do it in a convertible. After a year or two at events running 100+ mph I decided I needed a roof over my head. A coupe is more stable and safer in an O/T environment.

Tom

Sirl

Established Member
There is not a club (at least in Florida) that will let you run a Vert on a track without roll over protection.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I used to O/T a 95 convert that had a lot of suspension mods and ran the above pictured Autopower. My car also had SFCs. The rollbar definately helped. However, if you are considering doing anything past autocross I wouldn't do it in a convertible. After a year or two at events running 100+ mph I decided I needed a roof over my head. A coupe is more stable and safer in an O/T environment.

Tom

Very true. If you own a vert, it's fine to put a roll bar in and see if you like road course events. They aren't for everyone (though most get hooked). But a coupe is soooo much better, that it's worth thinking about swapping out for one later if you at all can.

I'm in a rather unique position with my wife supplying a lot towards the track fund, as long as we can have a vert to go cruising in on the odd Sunday afternoon. I'm dealing with it as best I can. Lots of bracing, subs, matrix braces, etc. The car's ok handeling-wise, but I'm usually running back a few places in my class. But I'm having fun doing it, and keeping the little lady happy.

One thing to think about is putting extra bracing where the roll bar's upright's attach. I have extra bracing and supports welded in, as I've seen a roll bar punch through a floorpan. I have the same A/P shown in Kevin's photo. I hope to never try it out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread