O2 senser? to change or not?

99toursvt

Established Member
i got 90k on the clock, gas milage is piss poor. napa said they cost 55 bucks each. im trying to sell the SHO, will it run much better? i dont wanna drop over a $100 if it dont need it.

machone

NA power
Established Member
Depends on if its your 02 sensor. Is your car giving you any ce lights? New 02 sensors will make a big diference in gas if your old ones are bad. It will also run better. I think you can get boush (did i spell it right) at autozone for 35 each.

99toursvt

Established Member
no ce lights, my find just got a boshe(spelling?) universal o2 sensor, we called around town the cheapest one was 60 bucks, but he has an eclipse, napa had ones for the SHO for 55bucks. i think thats the cheapest here.

Has any SHO owners changed there o2 sensors? did it help?

machone

NA power
Established Member
I changed mine, it was really easy and it helped a lot. Do you have any idea how old your 02 sensors are? I would think they have like a 60k life span?

99toursvt

Established Member
well, my car has 90k on it so thats how old they are. lol. imm try and dig up my 60k tune make sure i didnt get it done then. so you really noticed a differnce? in power or just gas mileage?

machone

NA power
Established Member
Not really in power, buy if your 02 sensors are bad youll notice a pretty big difference depending on how bad your old ones are. Does your car bog at all? Having any drivability issues, if your 02 sensors are bad you should be getting some other symtoms. It would suck if you bought new 02 sensors and didnt need them. I changed mine cuz i threw a code and it was the 02 sensors so i was sure that was it. Bad gas mileage can be caused by other things...

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by 91SHO+
Not really in power, buy if your 02 sensors are bad youll notice a pretty big difference depending on how bad your old ones are. Does your car bog at all? Having any drivability issues, if your 02 sensors are bad you should be getting some other symtoms. It would suck if you bought new 02 sensors and didnt need them. I changed mine cuz i threw a code and it was the 02 sensors so i was sure that was it. Bad gas mileage can be caused by other things...
Sounds like my problems, I smoke a little on taking off from a light in addition to my bogging, course stabler told me to change my O2's the day I bought my car heheh

machone

NA power
Established Member
The cool thing about 02 sensors is they are cheap, cuz you dont have to pay for labor, since theyre super easy to install. But if you havent changed the 02 sensors in a while, i say go ahead. Even if your bad gas isnt caused by the sensors, yours still sound old so im sure theyll probably be going out anyway. Another thing you might want to do is check the maf sensor. A while after i got my 02 sensors my car started bogging again. No cel. My friend tyler who is very familar with shos told me to clean my maf, i did it and it stopped. So check your maf. Unscrew the 2 screws that hold the sensor on the actual maf. Pull it right out and check it. You can use electricle cleaner on it. Im wondering, when you did your 60k, what plugs did you use. If it was the motorcraft you should be ok. But i hear of people using other plugs, and they foul hella quick. Did you change your plug wires to? How does your exaust system look? Any rust or leaks? Are the cats good? Ill keep tryin to think what causes bad gas mileage on a sho, but for now i would check those things if your still stuck. I hope i was helpful.

99toursvt

Established Member
ok im not sure if this is bogging but when the engine is cold, and i tap the gas the rpms go down for a second or two, then if i let go of the gas they will go back up. the same thing happens when its cold, and im about to stop, i put in the clutch and the rpms go down so low sometimes it dies. this only happens somtines, mosly when i wake up my SHO to early in the morning. ;)

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
1) pull your plug wires to see if you have oil in the plug wells
2) change your fuel filter and other misc filters
3)CHANGER YOUR O2s!

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by RTStabler51
1) pull your plug wires to see if you have oil in the plug wells
2) change your fuel filter and other misc filters
3)CHANGER YOUR O2s!
LOL

Stabler are you talking to me ? :D ;-)

99toursvt

Established Member
checked plugs 750 miles ago, fuel filter only has 1500 miles on it. so that leaves o2s....i think im ganna tke off my y pipe and pressure wash the in side of it. maybe? or not a good idea?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
All of you knuckleheads who know what the damn problem is but don't fix it and ask the same questions!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Don't wash the ypipe, just 'knock' it and get all if any of hte stuff comes out. A cheap alternative is to surf the SHO classifieds and pick up a used ypipe.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by RTStabler51
Don't wash the ypipe, just 'knock' it and get all if any of hte stuff comes out. A cheap alternative is to surf the SHO classifieds and pick up a used ypipe.
what If I took my exhaust all the way off :p

99toursvt

Established Member
yeah i want to take them off the pressure wash 90k worth of black grime. can you clean o2 sensors? im in college and poor

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
You can clean them, but doesn't mean they will still work properly.

99toursvt

Established Member
yeah i suppose if they are broken then they are broken clean or not. i think i read somthing about using a blow torch to clean the sensor, or was that just for testing?

Users who are viewing this thread