OEM Exhaust studs or locking header bolts

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Putting a set of Kooks Long tubes on the 4V, wondering which way to go, OEM exhaust studs or Stage 8 locking header bolts. I have both options in my garage. The Kooks will be installed with new OEM gaskets. Anyone have a preference or good/bad experiences with either combo?

TP03

Established Member
I run the stage 8 bolts on my kooks LT's and I've been very happy with them. No one wants a exhaust leak. Especially with how time consuming the LT header install is. This is cheap insurance to install and one less thing to worry about.

Albatross

Established Member
I have installed many sets of headers. Here is my opinion on this. Stage 8 locking header bolts are a massive pain in the ass. It can be a real headache getting those tiny clips on. I think they are a waste of time.

If your budget allows it, I highly recommend ARP Stainless studs with serrated nuts. This is what I am using with my kooks. I have checked the torque on them a couple times since installation (roughly 5000 miles ago) and not one has loosened or backed off. They also have a broach on them so it makes starting the nuts a lot easier. I got mine from Summit. They are a bit expensive but worth every penny in my opinion. If your budget is stretched thin then I would stick with the oe studs.

Screenshot_20221105_071644_Chrome.jpg

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
When I did my rebuilt back in 2018, I just went with the stock studs and nuts on my long tubes. I used the OEM style gaskets and I haven't had any issues myself.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys (or girls). I think I will just stick with the factory studs, I like the stainless one above but They are a little spendy for what they are.

gmtech

Grease Monkey
Established Member
When I did my rebuilt back in 2018, I just went with the stock studs and nuts on my long tubes. I used the OEM style gaskets and I haven't had any issues myself.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Same here, all OEM stuff except one location where the stud contacted the primary tube.I used a bolt that came with the ARH’s and haven’t had any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread