Off road pipe for bassani catback?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Only mod is catback with stock headers is there a bolt on off road h for these cars? Would prefer an h but will take an x if only option, thanks.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I ran a 3" Bassani catback, UPR O/R H pipe. Times have changed
Looks like MRT makes one and boy, is it gonna cost. $700.00

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I ran a 3" Bassani catback, UPR O/R H pipe. Times have changed
Looks like MRT makes one and boy, is it gonna cost. $700.00

Thanks kona, I ended up finding one on Ebay for half the price. That's retarded for any mid pipe to cost that much. Seems like a lot of companies are getting away from o/r pipes in general. I don't like the idea of cats on any boosted car. This car is way to quiet with just a bassani catback.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
FYI, all mid pipes for 96-04 will fit all V8 models. The main differences are the center bracket in the 96-98 cars and the rear O2 placement in the 04 cars. But nothing that's too hard to overcome.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
FYI, all mid pipes for 96-04 will fit all V8 models. The main differences are the center bracket in the 96-98 cars and the rear O2 placement in the 04 cars. But nothing that's too hard to overcome.
If I'm just turning off the rear 02s do I really need an extension?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If I'm just turning off the rear 02s do I really need an extension?

You shouldn't. I was just pointing out the differences I've had to deal with. FWIW, the mid pipe on my car has also been on my old 98 GT and 01 Cobra.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
You shouldn't. I was just pointing out the differences I've had to deal with. FWIW, the mid pipe on my car has also been on my old 98 GT and 01 Cobra.
Good info these cars have interchangeable mid pipes. They seem to he getting harder to find.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
So got the o/r h pipe on at the shop had a bunch on trans work done so was more convenient. The bassani catback sounded good but was way to quiet for a mustang let alone a cobra. Not what I was expecting has rasp at idle right under the shifter. Has a burble when downshifting I only ever had with an x pipe on other cars. My wife says it sounds good outside the car. To me it sounds like an 80s pickup inside though. Don't really want to put my stock cats back on. What direction should I go from here for a good sound louder then catback but not wake the dead longtubes sound?

Also did the mmr head cooling as it had the best design imo. Egr tube was in the way so removed that but now getting codes for that. Will probably need to get it tuned to get rid of them.

GodStang

Established Member
Everyones opinions will be different. I mean people actually like the ATAK muffler which to me sounds horrible. Go on youtube and listed to videos and pick what you like and go from there.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
So got the o/r h pipe on at the shop had a bunch on trans work done so was more convenient. The bassani catback sounded good but was way to quiet for a mustang let alone a cobra. Not what I was expecting has rasp at idle right under the shifter. Has a burble when downshifting I only ever had with an x pipe on other cars. My wife says it sounds good outside the car. To me it sounds like an 80s pickup inside though. Don't really want to put my stock cats back on. What direction should I go from here for a good sound louder then catback but not wake the dead longtubes sound?

Also did the mmr head cooling as it had the best design imo. Egr tube was in the way so removed that but now getting codes for that. Will probably need to get it tuned to get rid of them.
Get under the car and make sure nothing is touching. Also make sure all the bolts are tight. A couple heat cycles can move things around.

JMO, but skip the Stingers with an O/R pipe. I did that for a bit and would get a headache after a long drive. If I ever delete my cats I'll be switching catbacks.

JWExperience

Established Member
I couldn’t take the stingers on my car but I also have an off road x. Switched to magnaflows and it’s much better. Deep rumble and no headache. Still loud though, I have a magnaflow catted x that I’m thinking of installing soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I like loud just not shitty loud, my s550 with longtubes off road h sounds amazing and so did my 11 gt500. I actually went from a off road x to h pipe on that car because the x sounded like I was on the last stages of making popcorn on a downshift getting off the highway. They didn't put a gasket on the passenger side header so one is on order hope that fixes it. Trying to get loud just not nascar loud if that helps. I might just order a whole new setup if this doesn't work.

IllCobra

Established Member
The H pipe is the problem. A catted x pipe will fix that problem.
Why do you say that? I thought H pipes were better for a deep tone? I just got a used h pipe and dont want to make the mistake switching to a raspy setup...

44shelby

Established Member
Why do you say that? I thought H pipes were better for a deep tone? I just got a used h pipe and dont want to make the mistake switching to a raspy setup...
the h pipe doesnt produce a good clean sound it produces a blat blat blat sound. think Harley Davidson or Massey Ferguson.

Users who are viewing this thread