Oil cooler delete help.

Badaz01

Established Member
Well after a complete rebuild of the oil cooler on my 2001 cobra and a whole season with no leaks wouldn’t you know. I went for a ride around the horn just to keep her loose and when I parked it and the car cooled down I noticed a puddle of antifreeze on the floor. This only happened when the car sat for almost 24 hours and was completely cooled down to the point of being cold. Idk if this has anything to do with the cold temps where I am this time of year or what. Anyway I think I’m just gonna go ahead and delete it. It is said this cooler is actually a heater I and was marketed for emissions purposes and is pretty much useless. That being said I think I’m gonna go with a 2 valve gt oil filter adapter and do away with the cooler all together. Anyone on here ever do this or have any other suggestions.

shurur

Established Member
I am getting rid of my oil cooler altogether.
IMO it is just another chance for oil and coolant to mix.
I have to do the motor mounts and will delete it then.
The gt fixture is in the trunk.

Badaz01

Established Member
I am getting rid of my oil cooler altogether.
IMO it is just another chance for oil and coolant to mix.
I have to do the motor mounts and will delete it then.
The gt fixture is in the trunk.
Yea it seems the gt set up is the way to go on this not to mention the cheapest way.

Dave.O

Established Member
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the 4.6 marauders had a gt style oil filter adapter on a 4.6 4v

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I went with the Cobra Engineering one because I had issues on my 2V with it leaking coolant a couple of times. My original plan was to use the one from my 2V engine. I haven’t tried but I assume that the 2V one will bolt up to a 4V block but that is only an assumption

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I went with the Cobra Engineering one because I had issues on my 2V with it leaking coolant a couple of times. My original plan was to use the one from my 2V engine. I haven’t tried but I assume that the 2V one will bolt up to a 4V block but that is only an assumption
It will bolt up.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Isn't the gasket different between the iron and aluminum blocks? I remember dealing with something when I went from the WAP block to the Boss block in my 01.

Badaz01

Established Member
Isn't the gasket different between the iron and aluminum blocks? I remember dealing with something when I went from the WAP block to the Boss block in my 01.
Not sure we will find out tomorrow when we tackle the job. I will make sure I pay attention to that thanks.

Badaz01

Established Member
Well got the gt oil filter adapter on today and so far everything seems ok. I will monitor it for leaks over the next few days and hope for the best.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
Well got the gt oil filter adapter on today and so far everything seems ok. I will monitor it for leaks over the next few days and hope for the best.
I have a 2V oil filter adapter in my stash of parts. Running it on my 03 Cobra seems like a pain….I bought the rebuild kit for the cooler with new O rings. I hope I have better luck than you did. I’m a little nervous

Badaz01

Established Member
I have a 2V oil filter adapter in my stash of parts. Running it on my 03 Cobra seems like a pain….I bought the rebuild kit for the cooler with new O rings. I hope I have better luck than you did. I’m a little nervous
You are running the 2v adapter now? We put it on my 01 cobra and it fit like a glove and the swap was a breeze. Not to mention it shed about 3 lbs.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
You are running the 2v adapter now? We put it on my 01 cobra and it fit like a glove and the swap was a breeze. Not to mention it shed about 3 lbs.
No, I’m not running it right now. I’m still running the stock oil cooler.

I kept a 2V oil filter adapter knowing they were discontinued and I would prefer to run it my cobra but it seems like a pain on these terminators.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I think the issue is alternator placement on the 03/04. It gets in the way of the 2V adapter. At least I remember hearing something along those lines.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Until this thread i didnt know about this, so a couple questions, after engine warmed up and let say running in a hot weather climate does the stock cooler keep the oil cooler? Are the Gt adapters available and are the Mach 1s the same.? What about any adapter from 5.4s will they work ?

Badaz01

Established Member
Until this thread i didnt know about this, so a couple questions, after engine warmed up and let say running in a hot weather climate does the stock cooler keep the oil cooler? Are the Gt adapters available and are the Mach 1s the same.? What about any adapter from 5.4s will they work ?
It is said the oil cooler actually heats the oil quicker and this was to accomplish some kind of emissions crap. And no the gt adapter is discontinued I believe the oil cooler on the Mach 1 is the same as the 99-01 cobra not sure about the 03/04 cobra and I’m gonna lay odds a cooler from a 5.4 wouldn’t work on a 99/01 or 03/04 cobra. Not 100% sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread