Oil Heat/ Conversions

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I am looking at buying a home with oil heat/ boiler with baseboard heat. Anyways I am looking at what is best, I am thinking of replacing the system with a propane or maybe adding a heat pump if I replace the a.c system to use when it's not super cold. Just kind of weighing my options. The good thing is the place has 3 or 4 250 gallon tanks so I can buy a large amount when the price is low in the summer time. I was told they were Seventh Say Adventist and prepped for the second coming or something. From what I can guess I am outside the boundaries of our natural gas company.

Looking to hear everyone's experience. The house was built in 1896 but has newer windows. I plan on renovating the whole thing over the next 3 years based on my time. Not my ideal situation with the heating system, but the place has a great location and 2 acres and the land is worth a chunk.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I like your thinking. As an HVACR contractor I promote energy conservation thru ultra efficient HVAC systems however the prepper in me says have an alternative just in case.

Check into Bryant's line of Extreme heat pumps, they're air to air, super efficient, operate to their name plate BTU rating capacity down to 17*(f) outside, have an HSPF factor above 10 and a SEER rating in the 20s. The also qualify for the 30% federal tax rebate, with payback periods around 4-5 years. They'll do 95% of the heating requirements for your home, yet you can have several heating season's worth of oil on standby.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I have Natural Gas and our most expensive bill has been $120. Our heat, hot water, and I have a grille tapped into it all still run cheap. My parents have oil and they pay more in three months than I pay in a year.

Robert Francis

Established Member
Go gas (propane) if you can - and get rid of those oil tanks. I had an oil furnace for many years and it's so much more complicated than a gas system. You've got a fuel oil pump and filters in the fuel lines to filter the oil (if you get any dirty oil in the fuel oil pump you'll have problems) and in the winter, if you have really low temps you have to make sure and have the fuel oil lines from your tanks into your house really well insulated.

YJSONLY

Established Member
As a propane dealer. I personally would go natural gas, propane in that order too. Natural gas is cheap. Also I will post up some info for a water heater for you that you can use as a boiler it's a instantaneous water heater. That is 97%ish Efficient.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
It boggles my mind to think of a house sitting over 500-1,000 gallons of heating oil. Don't you people have any _idea_ of the energy you are sitting on? My mom grew up with coal-fired heaters, in Michigan. Again, do you realize how much energy is tied up in that material?

Of course, I say that as a guy who has lived in Pasadena and Houston Texas his whole life. But still ... the sheer quantity of energy! Under your house!

I am looking at buying a home with oil heat/ boiler with baseboard heat. Anyways I am looking at what is best, I am thinking of replacing the system with a propane or maybe adding a heat pump if I replace the a.c system to use when it's not super cold. Just kind of weighing my options. The good thing is the place has 3 or 4 250 gallon tanks so I can buy a large amount when the price is low in the summer time. I was told they were Seventh Say Adventist and prepped for the second coming or something. From what I can guess I am outside the boundaries of our natural gas company.

Looking to hear everyone's experience. The house was built in 1896 but has newer windows. I plan on renovating the whole thing over the next 3 years based on my time. Not my ideal situation with the heating system, but the place has a great location and 2 acres and the land is worth a chunk.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I would love to use natural gas, but from what I can tell they have no lines near me. Sad since the place I am no has a line that runs right next to the property. It is the price you pay to move out further into the country. I am highly considering using the propane option right now depending on cost vs. the high efficiency heat pump. I may transfer the the oil furnace to the barn anyways down the road. I wont mind its use there.

YJSONLY

Established Member
I would use propane over a heat pump. It's a better heat. I will get on pc tomorrow and get that info for you. What is your location?

Users who are viewing this thread