Oil in throttle body from driver side PCV???

itzHypn0tic

Established Member
I've looked into the PCV system and fixes for lightnings for while now, and I'll admit it, I'm probably stupid and am missing something obvious...

Sorry in advance as i know the PCV system has been talked about dozens of times and I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm just really frustrated and have no idea what's going on after reading for hours on PCV discussions... I currently getting tons of oil in my throttle body and intake tube, even enough for it to drip past the line between the driver side valve cover and intake. I put on trick flow valve covers (which I heard cause nightmares, but they have a baffle in them), performed the turkey pan mod, and placed a JLT separator between my passenger valve cover and upper intake (diagram of current setup attached).

Is there a reason I'm getting so much oil from here? Is it possible traveling from my intake, pooling up, and gravity then taking it to the throttle body? I would not think this is the case as I have the oil separator in line... Do I need a 1 way PCV valve on the driver side? I'd also think this wouldn't be necessary as the throttle body should be either closed and forcing air into the driver side PCV, or open and pulling air from the 5" Intake tube and not the small line... I've cleaned my intake and throttle body multiple times and I will probably have to clean my intercooler again.

It also does feel a bit rough on startup (possible misfires from pooled up oil being sucked in and coating my plugs, etc.)?

Below are also my compression test results (unfortunately my leak down test adapter wouldn't seal properly and I probably could have gotten slightly higher numbers if I let it crank more)

Tested when cold, no oil:

Cylinder 1:
- NO TEST, STRIPPED PLUG (since fixed and tested similar to rest)
Cylinder 2:
Cylinder 3:
Cylinder 4:
Cylinder 5:
Cylinder 6:
Cylinder 7:
Cylinder 8:

Attachments

• 2125386975a435eb9187df24dc609d53_zpsdd71bf14.jpg
    2125386975a435eb9187df24dc609d53_zpsdd71bf14.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 158

Dusten

Established Member
If you still have the TF valve covers, that is your issue. I promise. Go back to stock and your problems will be 90% Mine was bad enough if i let it idle long enough it would smoke blew when I went WOT. It was ****ing awful.

Baffles, no baffles, do whatever you want, they won't work correctly in a boosted application.

itzHypn0tic

Established Member
If you still have the TF valve covers, that is your issue. I promise. Go back to stock and your problems will be 90% Mine was bad enough if i let it idle long enough it would smoke blew when I went WOT. It was ****ing awful.

Baffles, no baffles, do whatever you want, they won't work correctly in a boosted application.
I should have listened to you the first 5 times I read about this, but I was being skeptical and stupid.

Is there any way to fix this? (1 way PCV valve?) This seems like a very weird problem to have, and especially with the amount of oil they suck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190305-170202.png
    Screenshot_20190305-170202.png
    952.9 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
I should have listened to you the first 5 times I read about this, but I was being skeptical and stupid.

Is there any way to fix this? (1 way PCV valve?) This seems like a very weird problem to have, and especially with the amount of oil they suck.
The pcv is sucking... That's the direction it's supposed to flow. The fix is stock, bbk, or team breed valve covers.

itzHypn0tic

Established Member
The pcv is sucking... That's the direction it's supposed to flow. The fix is stock, bbk, or team breed valve covers.
I thought the air is supposed to be pushed through the driver valve cover... I definitely messed up somewhere. Guess they're going to have to get returned and time for another hot tanking for my intercooler...

Users who are viewing this thread