Oil leak between motor and tranny

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Hey guys, been awhile since I was on - but have a quick question. I ran into the back of a truck quite some time ago, I was only going about 15 MPH but it crumpled my hood. The good part was I got a new hood and front bumper cover and got those pesky rock chips fixed :p However, I discovered after I got the car back there was a decent amount of oil on the floor in my garage. Looked like tranny oil and on inspection was coming from between the back of my block and the tranny housing. I figured it was probably a input shaft seal on the tranny from the impact(?) After a few days the leak stopped.

A few questions - I am not too happy about the leak stopping - since there was considerable oil on the floor before. Any thoughts on what might need to be replaced based on common failures with these cars? Not sure if it was tranny fluid or engine oil as they looked about the same. I heard rear seals are a common leakage area as well.

Dan

03zycobra

Established Member
Engine oil and Trans oil are a different color and have very different odors. If your fluid levels are good and the leak has stopped I wouldn't worry. Check your fluid levels and monitor. Trans fluid will have a red tint to it and has a very distinct odor, almost foul.
Crankcase oil doesn't smell as bad. You'll notice the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread