Oil leak on Cobra...rear of oil pan/trans?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Guys,
Input is appreciated.
Finally was able to put the 59,000 mile Terminator on the lift and noticed that I have some oil that leaks between the rear of the oil pan and transmission. Input is appreciated.
I hope that makes sense. This has been going on for a few months and believe me, I'm not happy about it.
Anyone had oil leaking from around that area?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Guys,
Input is appreciated.
Finally was able to put the 59,000 mile Terminator on the lift and noticed that I have some oil that leaks between the rear of the oil pan and transmission. Input is appreciated.
I hope that makes sense. This has been going on for a few months and believe me, I'm not happy about it.
Anyone had oil leaking from around that area?

Oil leaks other than the oil filter flange/oil cooler issues, are fairly rare on these cars.

Oil pan leaks and rear main seal leaks are normally something that don't show up until much higher mileage than 59,000.

But anything is possible.
1. Clean the area completely with brake clean.
2. drive 15 minutes.
3. re-inspect closely the area that was oily before, to see if the source can now be determined.

Rear main requires the trans or the engine to be out.
Oil pan gasket normally requires the K-member to be dropped down.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
drivers side? is it only limited to the back of the oil pan near the trans? My oil cooler to engine block gasket leaked a few years ago,it would run from the middle of the pan back.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
That's what I was wondering too Jimmy, as I was perplexed that it's not coming from the oil cooler/filter area.

Yes it seems to be limited at the back of the oil pan.

I'll clean it real good and take some good pics for you guys when I get a little time.
Thanks for the input!

Mystic03

Established Member
ive noticed some saturation in the same place since ive yet to pull the bellhousing due to some complications at hand. i cannot locate the source i dont think its rear main though but ill keep updating as i progress

horspla2000

Established Member
Rear mains are auite rare. Any leak in that area will likely travel down the pan then "look" like its leaking at the back of the pan. Oil pan gaskets on these are pretty rare in my experience. How bad is it?? Does it drip on the ground or is the pan just damp??

Users who are viewing this thread