Oil pressure test port sealant?

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I'm replacing all of my oil cooler gaskets and o-rings right now, and I figured while I'm in there I should just replace the pressure sensor and reseal the pressure test port fitting while I'm at it (I assume that's what it is, the pipe thread that is loosened and tightened by an allen socket)

My question is: What do I use to reseal that test port plug? Teflon tape? It looks to be red, but I"m not sure what it could be.

IMAG0931_zps38074895.jpg

Sensor and test port located in this picture
weephole.jpg

Maybe since neither are leaking or broken I should just say screw it and reinstall it lol, what do you guys think?

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Perfect. Thanks Ken! By the way, I got your Email. The backing came off the sticker perfectly and it looks great on my toolbox haha, so no need to send any more for now. :beer:

I'll be buying some more stuff soon enough!

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Perfect. Thanks Ken! By the way, I got your Email. The backing came off the sticker perfectly and it looks great on my toolbox haha, so no need to send any more for now. :beer:

I'll be buying some more stuff soon enough!

:rockon:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
FYI, Teflon tape doesn't seal a joint. It lubricates the threads so you can tighten it enough that the pipe threads seal themselves.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
So Mark, if I wanted to seal an air hose connection, all I would have to do is put oil or something slippery on the threads and then tighten them down, and they would seal completely? It seems to me that the teflon tape may help lube up the connection, but more importantly that little extra bit of tape seals up the connection perfectly and gets bound up inside the threads preventing anything from going though.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
So Mark, if I wanted to seal an air hose connection, all I would have to do is put oil or something slippery on the threads and then tighten them down, and they would seal completely? It seems to me that the teflon tape may help lube up the connection, but more importantly that little extra bit of tape seals up the connection perfectly and gets bound up inside the threads preventing anything from going though.
You are right about other lubricants working to do the same thing. But the tape itself provides no sealing properties. If you want sealing properties, you have to use a pipe sealant such as the one 006 recommends.

FYI, here is what Wikipedia says about the tape: "The use of PTFE tape in tapered pipe threads performs a lubricating function, which more easily allows the threads to be screwed together, to the point of deformation, which is what creates the seal."

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Interesting, I really never knew that lol thanks :beer: So you do agree that the above thread sealer would be perfect for the oil pressure test port, right?

Users who are viewing this thread