drh_5.0

Established Member
Sorry if this is already a thread somewhere, at work on break didnt have time to dig it up...I am planning on adding a Vortech or Paxton tuner kit in near future and have all the full bolt-ons already along with upgraded radiator and Boss engine oil cooler. My plan is to be somewhere between 600-620 RWHP range...preferable 7 psi or lower boost... I have other mods planned in addition to the supercharger such as: PCV breather package, FR 0 heat range spark plugs, ID1000 Fuel injectors, and Vortech Boost-A-Pump.

My question is I have seen there is a lot on how the Coyote 5.0 weak points are the connecting rods and the oil pump gears. Though I am not sure on exactly how much HP people/racers are pushing when their OPG's go on them. Or how much boost when a rod breaks. I do not daily drive my car, or track it. It is more a weekend warrior that may see a few strip runs here and there. I don't beat on my car but I don't baby it either...it see's 5500+ RPM at LEAST once everytime I drive it. Is it necessary to upgrade the OPG's at the power level I am looking for/ My driving type? I know it would be a good idea for more a "safe" setup...but I talked to some people who run over 600+ RWHP with stock gears going fine.

Thanks in advance for your insight! :thumbsup:

PC03GT

Established Member
I've been at 612hp with my vortech for the past 2 years, with stock gears. No problems and I don't baby the car. I plan on doing them eventually and running e85

drh_5.0

Established Member
Good to hear!! Probably the route I will take and avoid getting them...wish i had E85 near me! Do you have any other mods or did you go with the complete kit system?

Joey8

Established Member
arent oil pumps gears needed more if you plan on spinning your motor 7500+ rpms?

I was under the impression that its more based on rpm rather then hp. You should be fine with the stock oil pump gear as stated above when staying under 650 and not spinning your motor to the moon. Then again, they again a TSS or MMR oil pump gear couldn't hurt!

drh_5.0

Established Member
arent oil pumps gears needed more if you plan on spinning your motor 7500+ rpms?

I was under the impression that its more based on rpm rather then hp. You should be fine with the stock oil pump gear as stated above when staying under 650 and not spinning your motor to the moon. Then again, they again a TSS or MMR oil pump gear couldn't hurt!

That is what I was lead to believe to...Just wanted to clarify that. I never hit 7500+ RPM, so if that is the case I would definitely be fine. I agree it wouldn't hurt to upgrade them but if I can avoid it and still be safe.....then that's good enough for me! :)

burke985

Established Member
i would not spin it past 7k with boost without doing the OP gears , just my opinion from all the failures i've read about on line. My car is at 640-650 whp @7k rpm and on stock gears and have had zero issues with oil pump or oil consumption and i dont track my car but i have my share of fun. I think the failures are a combo of big power and high rpm and that don't mean necessarily they will break at high rpm i think the combo weakens them and they just let go . Obviously the safe bet would be to just do them but i think you will be fine if you stay at 7k ,but then you would not be taking full advantage of a centrifugal blower.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
If you do not plan of going built motor on a boosted car I highly suggest just putting billet oil pump gears and a good crank dampner on. Its cheap insurance.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Do the oil pump gears before you install the paxton/vortech. If you do it after the entire bracket has to come back off to do the install. If you are doing it yourself no big deal, but a shop will charge you for the extra labor. Do it right the first time. IMHO.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
As far as Oil pump gears go.

If you plan on racing the car at all it's highly recommended that you install a set of oil pump gears.

Give me a call if your looking to get them. We've got them in stock at all times.

Users who are viewing this thread