OK FOLKS! Photo Alteration Tip #1: Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Please jump down everyone...I had to repost the pics....

OK Everyone,

Wanna learn how to paint any car black? It's easy. I'm using Corel PhotoPaint but other programs are similar. Here goes!

First, get the photo. In this example we'll use 03DOHC's beautiful Sonic Blue Cobra...

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Next, use the FREEHAND MASK TOOL and carefully select the area you want to change. I like to hold the SHIFT and CTRL keys down to control what's added and subtracted from the mask.

HINT: Make sure your feather edge on the tool is 0-1 pixels. Also make sure ANTI-ALIASING is also turned on for this tool.

So now it looks like...

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Here comes the good part. We now want to remove the color and change the area to grayscale. We can do this using Hue/Saturation/Lightness option in our tool. We select all colors and kill the saturation. This pushes the photo to gray...

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
We're almost there! Since gray is not the color we want, we need to decrease the brightness and increase the contrast. Using the BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST/INTENSITY tool, we can now adjust the area to give that ole' girl a nice dark luster....

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Now we're done!!! If you think this is easy, you can control the HUE/SATURATION/LIGHTNESS to control the tint of the selected area. For example, push the selected color using the HUE option and this can change the tint. Here's the final pic. Hope you like this tutorial!!! :thumbsup:

03DOHC

Established Member
Hell yeah. That's good! I always wondered how that was done! Mind if I make this a sticky and close it?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Hell yeah. That's good! I always wondered how that was done! Mind if I make this a sticky and close it?

Sure! Wouldn't want anyone to take your awesome sig pic but I thought is was the best example I could find! ;-) Thanks TwoToneFreak. Let me know if you need help! :beer:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
OK Everyone,

Wanna learn how to paint any car black? It's easy. I'm using Corel PhotoPaint but other programs are similar. Here goes!

First, get the photo. In this example we'll use 03DOHC's beautiful Sonic Blue Cobra...

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Next, use the FREEHAND MASK TOOL and carefully select the area you want to change. I like to hold the SHIFT and CTRL keys down to control what's added and subtracted from the mask.

HINT: Make sure your feather edge on the tool is 0-1 pixels. Also make sure ANTI-ALIASING is also turned on for this tool.

So now it looks like...

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Here comes the good part. We now want to remove the color and change the area to grayscale. We can do this using Hue/Saturation/Lightness option in our tool. We select all colors and kill the saturation. This pushes the photo to gray...

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
We're almost there! Since gray is not the color we want, we need to decrease the brightness and increase the contrast. Using the BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST/INTENSITY tool, we can now adjust the area to give that ole' girl a nice dark luster....

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Now we're done!!! If you think this is easy, you can control the HUE/SATURATION/LIGHTNESS to control the tint of the selected area. For example, push the selected color using the HUE option and this can change the tint. Here's the final pic. Hope you like this tutorial!!! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread