Ok, the GT compares very well with the Enzo and Carrera GT...

fordification

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Crate engine = racing engine = no emission cerification, no 70,000 mile powertrain warranty. If you want to compare racing engines look at the GTSR motors. 800 hp N/A and will run a full/near full throttle for 24hrs. You can't compare a aftermarket crate engine to a production one. The V-10 is very detuned from the factory and has been proven to be almost unbeatable against the worlds best in international racing. It's not a drag car, it is a raod racing car!

The reason they have 8.3L is because they don't have a BLOWER. They just use different ways to make power. Also, lets not get into the whole cost argument, it gets real old. Peace :thumbsup:

Hahah, I knew the crate engine vs production was going to be brought up. Anybody can build a big motor to get big power. The challenge is getting more out of less. And the blower issue has been beat to death. It's all volumetric efficiency, like increasing the displacement to get more combustion.

The 5.4 is making 600hp(I have the dyno) with the s/c, take it off and your still looking at 450-500.

Last edited:

fordification

Established Member
I'd really like to see an official road test, GT vs Viper, just to put it to bed. None of this Motor Trend bull$hit, testing on different days on different tracks with test mules.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
fordification said:
Hahah, I knew the crate engine vs production was going to be brought up. Anybody can build a big motor to get big power. The challenge is getting more out of less. And the blower issue has been beat to death. It's all volumetric efficiency, like increasing the displacement to get more combustion.

The 5.4 is making 600hp(I have the dyno) with the s/c, take it off and your still looking at 450-500.

You won't be making 500hp with that low of compression. You ask any race team if they could have more cubes, they would all say yes. Like I said earlier, the V-10 is VERY de-tuned, trust me. They can just keep adding more power without having to redesign the motor. Now that DC runs the show, we might all get to see what the V-10 can do......8.3L + S/C, ouch!!

Good discusion :thumbsup:

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
fordification said:
I'd really like to see an official road test, GT vs Viper, just to put it to bed. None of this Motor Trend bull$hit, testing on different days on different tracks with test mules.

There is no doubt in my mind that the GT would win. They hit DC on the lame duck years. The SRT-10 is a drop top, wait till the new GTS comes out then we can compare coupe to coupe.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
If Ford couldn't supercharge, they would have a big displacement, high performance NA engine to compete with Chevy and Dodge. But they can, so they use less displacement. On the highway my Lightning gets 15 mpg, the SRT-10 Ram would be lucky to get 10. Thats why Ford uses superchargers. Well, the reduced cost of the actual engine too. SRT-10 Ram= $55k, Lightning=$32k.

Vic

Established Member
fordification said:

I think most viper owners respect the FGT's 3.3 0-60 time, and the 205 mph limited top speed. I know I do. Many of us also know that huge displacement is a cheap way to make power, without all the go-fast tricks that make an engine get up and go. Dodge did that as a calculated business plan, to get some excitement in the brand, without spending a fortune in development on a low volume engine run.

The next Viper coupe will likely have more power, and less drag. Combine that with 60-0 braking in 97 feet, and the scales could tip back towards the Viper. Time will tell.

What about that new ZO6? Its more than just rumors now, its confirmed to be 500HP and 475 lb/ft of torque, about 3100 lbs, and a very slippery shape. Comes out in the fall of 2005. That should run real strong, and its not astronomically expensive, at about $60,000.

Last edited:

sckcobra

Established Member
if woulda shoulda coulda but they don't. what is the agrument against the viper being the baddest car pound for pound in the world? trust no ford gt is ever gonna see 1000rwhp and that is final. it is way closer to it's max potential from the factory. i hate the if this and if that bull. stupid. all that matters is what is not what could be. dig?

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
sckcobra said:
if woulda shoulda coulda but they don't. what is the agrument against the viper being the baddest car pound for pound in the world? trust no ford gt is ever gonna see 1000rwhp and that is final. it is way closer to it's max potential from the factory. i hate the if this and if that bull. stupid. all that matters is what is not what could be. dig?
Yeah, but talking about a 1,000 HP Viper is also a "what if ". Yes, it's been done, but from the factory, the Viper has less HP than the GT the way it sits in the factory trim. You begin to get into the "what if's" with any car when you speak of modifying them. Especially modifying them to get 500 HP more than they come with from the factory.

And on a more personal note, not only do I like the way the Ford GT looks much better than the Viper, but I happen to think the V8 engine sounds much better when you wind it up than any V-10 engine does. And on a more technical note, I think it's a given that any well designed mid-engine car like the Ford GT will out handle any front engine car. Especially one with an engine as big as the Viper has. Just my observations. I think it's great that some of you guys can own Vipers. I cannot afford a Viper nor a Ford GT. But I gotta say, that as nice as the Viper is, I'd much rather have the Ford GT given the opportunity.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
As they sit right now from the factory and assuming you keep stock I would take a GT over Viper. If you want to mod the heck out of either car, it would be extremely difficult to beat the Vipers potential especially when you have 500+ cubes to work with. The GT is no doubt a very impressive car and I'm not blind to admit that, but it gets old that everyone says how they only get 500hp out of 8.3L. That how much hp DC chooses to put in the viper and at the time was by far the fastest production car in the U.S. Now that every other auto maker is amking 500+hp cars, DC can easily dial up the Viper's power without any major investments, which is finacially key for these low volume cars. Remember the GTS-R concept from a few years back, it had 625 hp from the very same engine that is in the car now.

sckcobra

Established Member
excact;y the ford gt is one bad ass car no one will deny that. and no one is talking about what "sounds" better. i had an 04 viper and i think it sounded lik a ups truck. nothing sounds bettter than a supercharged vehicle (especially with smaller pullies). all that i know is if you slap a blower on the newewr 8.3 liter viper motor you are looking at 700rwhp car. that is what almost 820 ot so to crank. and mind you that i with everything else completely in stock form. start getting internal and throw some tt's on there and fugit it. jason hefneer who is one of the worlds most respected viper tuners has a tt setup on a car right now with 1200rwhp 1200rwtq. hard to argue with that.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
sckcobra said:
jason hefneer who is one of the worlds most respected viper tuners has a tt setup on a car right now with 1200rwhp 1200rwtq. hard to argue with that.

He maxed out the dyno at 1200hp/tq, and estimates the hp and tq to be in the 1400rwhp/tq range. Thats like 2x the power I have and I think I have a pretty fast car. :??: The dyno graph is posted all over if you want to see. :bowdown:

Last edited:

sckcobra

Established Member
yes excactly no other car in the world has that type of potential. that firm. i took a ride in a viper similar to yours and all i can say is wow.

KevPSR

Established Member
I've only wrode in the Carrera GT, but I must say I was VERY impressed with it's sound and performance aroudn a road course. (Got good video of it too! )

Slow01Cobra

Established Member
It's foolish to say the GT motor won't ever see 1,000 horsepower. The 4.6 cobra engine can make 800 without breaking the bank, the 5.4 has much more potential.

sckcobra

Established Member
yes i mean i suppose anything is possible. they can make hondas have 800+ horsepower. i mean realistic and daily drivable. there are many vipers seeing that kind of horsepower that are daily drivable. i mean in all reality no one is gonna take a collectors car and compromise the integrity of the car, by trying to get some outrageous number on the dyno. like i said anything is possible. furhtermore there is no replacement for displacement, and it is obvious that the ford gt is further along in it's potential from the factory. who in there right mind would do that anyway? why reinvent the wheel. i gurantee you that someone will break into the tens with that car bone stock with some slicks. pulley chip and full exhaust = an easy mid to low ten second car. there is no doubt that that car is a marvel of enginering and is one of thte baddest cars on the planet. i would love to have one someday, and if i could have one right now i would. no one is knocking the car, all i said was that 1000 horsepower was not as easily accesible as it is for the viper. so what? i would rather have a ford gt any day. the facts are the facts

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Slow01Cobra said:
It's foolish to say the GT motor won't ever see 1,000 horsepower. The 4.6 cobra engine can make 800 without breaking the bank, the 5.4 has much more potential.

In the lastest issue of MM&FF there is an article about the Cobra's 4.6 potential. The author gets 990 hp from a street twin turbo setup with 20 psi. on the stock block and internals. The author says he can't wait to get his hands on a 5.4 GT version with the same setup. He says that he should be able to rip right through the 1000 hp and 1000 lb-ft of torque marks. Very interesting reading.
A 1000+ hp & 1000+ lb-ft tq. Ford GT would be sick. :bowdown:

Last edited:

sckcobra

Established Member
believe me that cat won't last two seconds on stock internals. like i said they can make honda motors put out 800+ horse out of a 2 liter. while very impressive it blows up every time down the track. if those stock pistons are failing under a kenne bell with 650+rwp i doubt a tt setup will last very long at all

sckcobra

Established Member
like i said the 1000 horse viper last and can be daily driven, although i don't know who would be up to driving a car that fast everyday. talk about no margin for error

Formula51

Established Member
Vic said:
What about that new ZO6? Its more than just rumors now, its confirmed to be 500HP and 475 lb/ft of torque, about 3100 lbs, and a very slippery shape. Comes out in the fall of 2005. That should run real strong, and its not astronomically expensive, at about $60,000.

Nothing has honestly been confirmed. You should know in about a month. The "leaked information", best guess, rumor, GM testing the waters, whatever you want to call it is as follows:

0 -> 60 in 3.8 sec.

Top Speed 200 MPH

2,900 #'s

5.7 #'s/HP

Chassis & Suspension development by Pratt & Miller,
Aluminum Hydroformed frame produced by DANA
- 345/30x19 Rears
- 6 piston Front, 4 piston Rear Brake Calipers
- Cross Drilled (cast and camfered) Rotors (possibly Brembo)

Engine Development by KaTech
To be hand built by new HP Engine Plant

LS7 427ci/ 7.0L. 500HP/500 Ft Lbs (512 HP derated to 500HP)
- 2 OHV (3 OHV not necessary for target HP)
- Raced based CNC ported Aluminum Head with 70cc chambers
- 11.0:1 CR
- 46 mm (1.81") Titanium Intake valve
- 41 mm (1.61") Na filled Exhaust Valve
- 104.8 mm Bore (4.125") , 101.6 mm Stroke (4.0") Aluminum block
- Forgrd Crank
- Forged 6 bolt main Bearing Caps
- Titanium Rods
- Cast Aluminum Flat Top Pistons
- 0.591" Lift Cam (15 mm)
- Dry Sump
- 90 mm Throttle Body on Composite

Many Vette enthusiasts say the 3.8 0-60mph will drop considerabley when the numbers are confirmed as C5 ZO6's ticked off 3.9's!

The general consensus or "best guess" is $60-70k for pricing. A few even think as high as $75k. Either way, it's going to compete with the big guys for the cost of a house less, in some cases TWO or THREE houses! God Bless America! Long live the ZO6 and the GT :rockon:

If you register at digitalcorvettes.com you can see some pics!

Last edited:

Vic

Established Member
My head is spinning from all the new fantastic sports cars that are coming out, from Pagani Zonda to Gallardo to the Ford GT, to PGT, to Corvette ZO6, Mustang Cobra, to whatever the new Viper coupe will be, I mean, I'm really getting dizzy! Its all too much for me! I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas morning.

Users who are viewing this thread