Ok, the GT compares very well with the Enzo and Carrera GT...

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Vic said:
My head is spinning from all the new fantastic sports cars that are coming out, from Pagani Zonda to Gallardo to the Ford GT, to PGT, to Corvette ZO6, Mustang Cobra, to whatever the new Viper coupe will be, I mean, I'm really getting dizzy! Its all too much for me! I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas morning.

Ya this is definetly the 60's all over again. I'd guess it will probably wind down in 3-5 years (not really sure why I think that, just a "hunch").

But these HP wars are sure turning out some nice powerplants.

Codes

ROLL PRINCE ROLL!!!!
Established Member
I think the Enzo is beautiful, but not in the sense that the GT is beautiful. The GT looks American, it looks like raw muscle...it looks like it will kick your ass. The Enzo looks functional through and through, its a work of art to me like works of abstract art...you either hate it or you love it. I personally would take the Enzo in looks, I cant get enough of the looks of the Enzo.

Codes

ROLL PRINCE ROLL!!!!
Established Member
Another car I think is incredibly awesome is the Mercedes Mclaren or what ever its called. I hear that thing is an absolute beast...and I love the way it looks.

MAAquino

Established Member
Exotics Design

Interesting thread ...

Personally I've never been able to warm up to the appearance of the Enzo, or the F50 for that matter. Probably for the same reason that I think 1965 F1 cars are so much better-looking than today's computer-perfected ones. The Enzo may have aerodynamics going for it, but it's still ugly. Really.

I think the best looking supercar Ferrari ever made was the F40, which (like the Ford GT) simply looks just like you'd imagine a supercar should look. Of course the F40 was also almost impossible to actually use as a car. Getting in/out of it required a shoehorn, it was noisy and uncomfortable to ride in, and the front spoiler was so low that Ferrari of Los Gatos routinely had aftermarket "roller skates" added beneath it so that (at least at parking speeds) street irregularities wouldn't rip it to shreds.

When the F40 came out, one owner ripped out the wall in his living room, drove the car into it, and rebuilt the wall. I completely grok this. He wanted to admire the car like a fine work of art, pet it, and probably meditate and sleep in it. (He got an amused writeup in Rosso Ferrari, Ferrari North America's magazine.)

After his first ride in an F40, Enzo Ferrari commented, "This car is so fast it will make you sh*t your pants." (I've always thought this profound observation by the Great Man should be immortalized on a silver engraved plaque on the dashboard of each of the cars.)

Lamborghini has been making utterly unusuable cars since the Countach. Ever try to get in/out of a Countach? It would be a good trial on "Fear Factor". At exotic meets it's always fun watching the Lambo drivers back their cars up, as in: Open the door, sit on the doorjamb with your feet stretched to the pedals and your head twisted 180-degrees around on the outside of the car. But at least the Countach, like the F40, is gorgeous automotive sculpture. The Diablo was described as a Countach that had been left in the oven too long and melted.

As for comments about blazing acceleration times, I fondly recall a quip by one enthusiast who had just had his skeleton pushed out the back of his body in a twin-turbo-equipped Testarossa: "It's like being mugged by angels. Your mind and body wind up in complete disarray, but you still feel blessed."

Michael Aquino

fordification

Established Member
I just wonder where Ford would be now if Enzo hadn't walked out at the last second for the buy-out. Ferrari was at a pinnacle point in it's racing history.

Btw, all this talked about quarter mile times and 1000+hp, unless your building a drag car, these numbers are useless for road coarse use. AWD systems would only be able to harness that kind of power down low to benefit from it.

earl lee

Established Member
fordification said:
I just wonder where Ford would be now if Enzo hadn't walked out at the last second for the buy-out. Ferrari was at a pinnacle point in it's racing history.

Btw, all this talked about quarter mile times and 1000+hp, unless your building a drag car, these numbers are useless for road coarse use. AWD systems would only be able to harness that kind of power down low to benefit from it.

eh, drag racing is 97% the only thing anybody on this forum cares about. you mention turns, and the first thing that comes to mind to them is ricers.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Enzo was designed as an F1 for the street, hence the looks. Whether you love it or hate it is subjective. Some designs are timeless, however. For example, the AC Cobra. The lines on that car scream sexy and it will be that way for the next 100 years. The Mercedes Gullwing is the same way, timeless. My opinion is that the Enzo does not have that timeless look, it goes like stink but will be left behind in the design department. The Ford GT is a gorgeous piece of design. It was beautiful in the 60's and is even better now. The retro design thing needs to be put to bed though, in my opinion. Chevy's SSR has fallen on it's face. THe PT Cruiser is looking long in the tooth, and the new Mustang, while cool looking, will suffer if they don't keep it fresh.

In summary, the manufacturers have to come up with what they THINK the customers will want. Retro or futuristic, which is it gonna be? It can be a crap shoot.

sckcobra

Established Member
that is definitely a tough call. i think i would get an enzo because it is a little faster and i just love the way it looks. does anyone agree that the enzo is timeless? just like their last supercar the F40. what else looks like that?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
mclaren f1 for me. i've been obsessed with that car for many years. i just dont like the looks of the enzo, the gt looks much better. i would take an original 427 gt40 over a new one anyday.

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
What the hell are ya gonna do the 1,000 HP? I'm putting 430-450 to the wheels and now 1st gear is pretty much useless with 2nd close behind. If I wanna play, I have to heat the friggin' tires first! With that kinda HP not only do ya have to worry about throttle in the corner lifting now becomes just as bad. I guess if I won the Lotto it would be cool to buy another Snake, tub it, build it and go play. Otherwise.....

MAAquino

Established Member
Watch the Doortops!

Saw my first "live" Ford GT the other day; they have a white/bluestriped one in the showroom at Beverly Hills Ford.

First impression much like that of the F40 et al.: A very pretty work of autoart, but useless for nontrack driving. Cramped interior, small windshield with the left A-pillar cutting off much of the driver's vision. No way to see the extreme corners of the car (as in parking). No luggage space. Perhaps most menacing were the doors, whose tops wrap over the top of the car. When these doors are open, and you try to either enter or exit the car, their horizontal tops act as sharp deadly weapons against your head.

The car at BHF was marked up to over $300K as I recall. Doubtless some Rodeo Drive denizen will pay it, then walk around for a few weeks with a head bandage.

Michael Aquino

Vic

Established Member
Michael, you need to give those doors a chance! :) Once the "muscle memory" is in place, you could do it with your eyes closed! heh heh!

Asking price on eBay is about $225,000. But I haven't seen one sell for even that yet. Maybe there isn't enough hype out there to get all the Tom Cruise types to go buy one?

fordification

Established Member
Thought I'd add this.

Porsche Carrera GT:
hp:612
weight:3042lbs
top speed:201mph(motor trend)

Ford GT:
hp:550
weight:3458
top speed:200.5mph(motor trend)
official speed @ mulsanne: 212mph