Ok to add cams to setup?

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
I have an 11 with 49k miles almost 50 drive the car a lot basically DD it. Current setup is

VMPR 2.4 pulley
Longtubes off road h
VMP 67mm tb
BAP
ID 1050xs
93 oct

The typical setup. Thinking of adding some NSR cams but not sure if that would be to much for stock motor.

Anyone know if this is ok or running similar setup?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Sielmo

Established Member
I had a similiar setup with a couple sets of cams and had no issues of motor safety (768whp). The question of should you, well that's dependent on what your goal is. My experience is based on my 2010 where I drive it occasionally in heavy city or urban traffic without a whole lot of wide open road opportunities. I've had both SR and NSR cams and am now back to stock. My SR cams sounded awesome and gained me 96hp above 4500rpm territory but cost me vacuum. At 7.5hg, it was very easy to stall and since this amount of power required an aftermarket performance clutch, added chatter to an already finickier motor. (Really challenging in stop and go traffic, inching up a hill, lots of clutch smells) Swapped to NSR cams, and gained lots of streetabilty back (vacuum now 14hg) but lost half of that top end gain, and that choppy sound. With that said, top end gain above 4500rpm. Also to add, both sets of cams didn't tolerate normal DD (ie lugging around) in the 1500rpm range, so my car did a lot of hitching. My car also had the luxury of being a garage queen so I could do all the work on my own time (three times I did the cam swap which require substantial amount of tear down)
In summary, SR (and some NSR) cams are nice choppy sounding and give good gains up high but will cost at least some DD driving ease. NSR cams are much better DD but choppy turns to lopey exhaust sounds at best and top end gains are less. Typical labor costs are about 2.5K and more if doing springs, add another 2k for the cams and springs.

So, cams are a nice power adder, but what is your goal, how do you intend to drive it overall, and is it worth the cost?

An afterthought note, although NSR cams don't require springs, most would recommend adding in better springs regardless.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
Damn thanks for the detailed info.

Plans were for sound and I guess the little gain it adds with current setup I am at a crossroad of running E85 for a little more safe power on stock motor and maybe adding a lower on top of current setup. Or building my motor and playing it safe making 800 or so on 93 will probably swap blowers to the Gen 3 as well.

I have talked to a few people who got good sound with longtubes off road mids and NSRs and a few said they were able to make 50rwhp which Lund tuned and they had him mostly focus on low end drivability for DD use and they say it really didn’t change drive ability at all.

I will probably not do springs just the gear and apr studs and such.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread