Old guys...first time fathers. How old were you?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I quote this because my story is almost this to the letter. It was a good feeling to be young enough to do everything with them when they were growing up and it is just as good a feeling being young enough to still do things for myself now that one is adult and the other will be by the end of this year.

for those of you who have waited more years than I have, I wish you the best. Having kids was great for me, here's hoping you can say the same :beer:

To add, it is also nice to be young enough to go out with them if they want.

I spent my daughters 18th birthday with her.
It was cool.

I loved having them young and still enjoy them as much now.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I was 18 when my first was born. He turned 21 this past Feb. and I turn 40 in July. Youngest (and 2nd) will be 13 in July.

MNCobra

Established Member
45 now had my daughter at 41...it was tough getting up to feed her but now that she is older and we can talk and play it was all worth it...i wished i had her when i was younger so i can enjoy more years with her...best thing thats ever happened to me...

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
About to turn 43. 1st was at 35 and the second was at 40. I feel safe in saying I would either be divorced or not such a good dad if I did it any sooner. Required way too much growing up time.

mcdover

Established Member
OP, One of the advantages of having kids later in life is that more than likely, you are much more financially secure than you were at 20-something. You can give you child more opportunities than you could when you were first starting out.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Dangggg.

I will be 42 when my daughter turns 18 and 46 when my son turns 18.

Wow, freaky even thinking about it. But it will give me time to enjoy life afterwards, once they are done with college at a decent age to still do things.

jbs$

Established Member
I was 22, by 45 I had them out of College. I see guys who are my current age, with kids it diapers and I wonder how do they do it.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
^^This,

Mine were born at 24 and 27.

I'm almost 43 and oldest is in college and youngest has 2 years of HS left.

I have my life back at a young age and all done on purpose!

I really feel for you guys. lol

+1 i was 23 pretty good age :rockon:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
25 and 27, now my kids have kids. It was great having them out of the house when I was in my 40's. Yup, I'm a grandpa and 53.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
OP, One of the advantages of having kids later in life is that more than likely, you are much more financially secure than you were at 20-something. You can give you child more opportunities than you could when you were first starting out.

I don't really think this statement has much truth to it.

What exactly can you do for a baby-toddler-kid @ 30k a year VS 80k a year? Besides basic care, I don't really think wealth matters for a kid at that age. Maybe when they are quite a bit older and you have things such as private schools and colleges, aside from that I'm not seeing your view.

I'm not bashing, I am just curious of what exactly you mean?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
My dad was 40 when my sister was born, 41 when I was born. Honestly the only thing different about it was my dad was usually older than my friend's dads.

He's always been the athletic type, so he taught me basketball, baseball and golf and was my baseball coach and basketball coach for many years. He was in his early to mid 50s when the other coaches were in their 30s, but he was probably more active than they were. He retired from teaching when I was in middle school, so I'm sure it was easier to manage a couple high school kids when you don't have to work all day.

Kinda funny, but he's been a teacher for a long time, so I'm good friends with the childen of some kids that he taught in high school.

Personally, I plan on having kids around 30, hopefully not later than early 30's. I just would rather be a younger father, nothing against my dad though.

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
I was 20 when my daughter was born and 24 when my son was. I just turned 37 a couple weeks ago. My younger brother who will be 30 this year just had his first(baby girl), two weeks ago as well. Being a young dad is fun. My son and I share a lot of interests. It makes things a lot easier to do. My daughter shares some as well. :)

cobra_80

MOTORBOATER
Established Member
25 and 27, now my kids have kids. It was great having them out of the house when I was in my 40's. Yup, I'm a grandpa and 53.

My dad had his last kid with is his 2nd wife at 52. Feel bad for the cause the man had no break. Now he's 60 with a 7 yo girl.

racermatt

Established Member
I am 36 and just had my 1st. We plan to have at least one more in the next couple years. I have to agree than I feel more "able" to take care of my son at this point in my life. I traveled around the country drag racing in my 20's and am glad I did not have to worry about anything back then.

Users who are viewing this thread