Old newbie

L-Bronco

Established Member
Hi all, I joined a couple weeks ago and just found this intro thread...
I have been in the performace\racing world for a long time, 20 yrs racing dirt\asphalt oval track and the last 6 I have been lucky enough to crew on a nostalgia nitro funny car.
We also have a collection of protects\drivers. My latest work in progress is a 1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, with a 2015 F-150 chassis and a 2003 Lightning powertrain. (Don't worry, I didn't kill a Lightning for the build. That would be sacrilegious!!
We just love everything auto in my yard.
I have always been a Ford diehard with a short stop in bow-tie land in my early stock car years (for cost reasons) Then I found out one small block ford was way cheaper than the 3 chevy small blocks you had to build to get the same longevity!
I was a tech at a large Ford dealership for 15 years and have been teaching automotives for the last 22. (Don't do the math!)
Well, that's me, glad to be here and looking forward to swapping stories and tech info!

L-Bronco

Established Member
DSCF0686.JPG
just a couple of them. we were definitely the "open trailer guys"

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's pretty cool that you're on the race team. Is that you on the left or right?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nah, you look young enough! From the side (in that photo) you heavily resemble a good friend of mine. He's around 52. So take that as a compliment. LOL!

L-Bronco

Established Member
Nah, you look young enough! From the side (in that photo) you heavily resemble a good friend of mine. He's around 52. So take that as a compliment. LOL!
Thanks, I was born with the mustangs (64), so you aren't far off. Makes a guy feel pretty old doing 4 or 5 engine overhauls (and one replacement) in a couple days,
then trying to get out of bed on Monday!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've never done anything close, but I can well imagine how draining that must be. LOL!

L-Bronco

Established Member
At the end of the day for sure, but, when 5000hp launches 2 feet in front of you, There is nothing like it! (Except maybe 11,000HP) (I got to stand between 2 top fuel funny cars at the hit, it was mind blowing!! 11,000 HP each!)
Funny thing is, aside from the Kid in the picture, I'm the youngest on the crew!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The closest I've ever been to a FC at WOT was around 25'. I can only imagine the huge adrenalin rush standing between two 11,000 hp FCs. Wow! Stereo blast to the max!

L-Bronco

Established Member
The closest I've ever been to a FC at WOT was around 25'. I can only imagine the huge adrenalin rush standing between two 11,000 hp FCs. Wow! Stereo blast to the max!
You actually can't inhale when they go, (I swear I felt the earth move!) Then all you see is chutes at the other end at 300+MPH!
I'm pretty lucky to be part of that!

Users who are viewing this thread