older heads w/ 3-4 spark plug threads and 500++hp

doubleblack

Established Member
guys that have been running around w/ these, how are they holding up to 500+ port and twinscrew set ups?

these heads have been around now for a while, I just wanted to see if there are issues w/ these...

are people blowing out spark plugs left and right w/ these?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
none...30k miles...500hp and ran a 75 shot a couple times last year and a 100 this year...

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
I shot the #5 plug out under normal driving conditions, i don't believe its power related. It's just a game of chance sometimes.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
The list of people having shot a plug out of a Terminator head, in relation to total production, is a very small amount.

If it bothers you, you could just Time-Sert or Lock&Stitch all 8 holes as a preventative measure like the Lightning guys do...

My Time-Sert repair is still holding just fine. Its been about 20,000 miles, give or take a few thou.

doubleblack

Established Member
The list of people having shot a plug out of a Terminator head, in relation to total production, is a very small amount.

If it bothers you, you could just Time-Sert or Lock&Stitch all 8 holes as a preventative measure like the Lightning guys do...

My Time-Sert repair is still holding just fine. Its been about 20,000 miles, give or take a few thou.

too bad it's not a quick fix, you have to pull the heads so you can access them from the opposite side right?

doubleblack

Established Member
really, that's awesome, any more info on the time-sert mod you can give me would be appreciated. any write ups or part #'s, tools required?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Like John said, the key is taking your time and following the instructions to the letter. Back to his point about only a small percentage of Terminators throwing plugs, that is so true. It is a VERY small percentage for sure. But I can understand your concern about it even being a possibility. If I remember right, some thought that improperly installing the plug could be a more important concern. Improper installation coupled with 4 threads can equal a thrown plug. Therefore the idea of at least using the Time-Sert is a good one. JMO.

doubleblack

Established Member
45 minutes, was that for one hole?

it's the thing about the aluminum chips that gets me....how'd you guys clean that up w/ the heads still on?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
You pack the reamer and the tap with grease and it catches the shavings. Remember, you're talking about tiny aluminum shavings, which wont hurt anything if they pass through the cylinder.

Its more important to be sure the piston is past TDC when using the reamer so you don't take material off the top of the piston... :-o

doubleblack

Established Member
i think the video also mentioned to attach a straw/small hose or something to the end of a vacuum to try to get a few extra shavings..

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
i think the video also mentioned to attach a straw/small hose or something to the end of a vacuum to try to get a few extra shavings..

When you pack the reamer with grease the majority of the shavings get caught. You can vacuum the cylinder if you want, but like SG said, a minute amount of aluminum passing through the valve isnt going to hurt anything.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can guarantee you only have 4 threads. Based on information from the past, all 2003 Cobra have 4 threads. The only way you'd have 9 on your '03 would be if you bought the January 2005 heads. Some stock 2004 heads have been reported to have 9 threads. Here is a link to my FAQ page with more info. http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092462

As a side note, those who had the tick issue and had (only) the driver's side head replaced likely have 4 threads on the passenger side thread unless they were one of the few '04s that got 9 from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread