Oliver or Manley I beams

Ironhand

Banned
Manley. They have been making rods for a long time and I believe the Manley rod uses a larger rod bolt then the Oliver.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hands down the Manley Billet I beam, the rod cross section is much thicker, bottom line, we could not make anything over 1200HP with the oliver without bending them, we tried them 3 times, we switched to the Manley and the same set is still running in Don and Dana cooks engine to this day making over 1800HP !!

We offer 2 versions, the 14319 and the 14321, the first part # is good up to 1400, the second should be used from there up. Both include ARP 2000 bolts, both are 7/16 (BIG bolts).

BTW, we have the best prices on Manley rods - guaranteed- just call!

MMR
805 383 4130

MMR

bull3441

Established Member
Manley. They have been making rods for a long time and I believe the Manley rod uses a larger rod bolt then the Oliver.
they use the same size 7/16 bolts. you can't go wrong with either rod. i have Oliver in my motor.

Last edited:

DMotorsports

Established Member
FWIW, the Manley forged H-beams are a really strong rod at half the price of a set of billet rods. I'm personally not aware of a 5.4 engine failure due to one of these rods breaking. General consensus seems to be that they're good to about 1,000 hp, but I do know guys that have pushed them further than that without failure. It just depends on what your horsepower goals are.

Last edited:

bull3441

Established Member
Hands down the Manley Billet I beam, the rod cross section is much thicker, bottom line, we could not make anything over 1200HP with the oliver without bending them, we tried them 3 times, we switched to the Manley and the same set is still running in Don and Dana cooks engine to this day making over 1800HP !!

We offer 2 versions, the 14319 and the 14321, the first part # is good up to 1400, the second should be used from there up. Both include ARP 2000 bolts, both are 7/16 (BIG bolts).

BTW, we have the best prices on Manley rods - guaranteed- just call!

MMR
805 383 4130

MMR
there are numerous guys using Oliver on Yellow Bullet making 2k HP. multiple guys state they're the best steel rod they ever used.

Ironhand

Banned
Carrillo uses 3/8 bolt, just like Manley H-beam.

Which means I confused Carrillo(3/8) for Oliver(7/16). Oh well. I'd still buy the Manleys. lol

I put Manley H beams in my 5.4 because I've never heard of anyone breaking them and you cant beat the H beams for the price.

bull3441

Established Member
Which means I confused Carrillo(3/8) for Oliver(7/16). Oh well. I'd still buy the Manleys. lol

I put Manley H beams in my 5.4 because I've never heard of anyone breaking them and you cant beat the H beams for the price.
go into the Terminator section and look for broken Manley H-beams. they're a good rod and with the ARP2000 bolt option good for 1k hp. my wife gave me one shot at building my motor, so i went Oliver.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Manley's here and I can't complain.. It's what came in the first built motor I bought used on here so I reused them.. I can't say which is better Oliver or Manley, but in all honesty either or will do just fine.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
there are numerous guys using Oliver on Yellow Bullet making 2k HP. multiple guys state they're the best steel rod they ever used.

Not in a 5.4 Modular!! , the problem with the 5.4 is the VERY long rod (6.658"), the longer the rod, the easier to bend. Even the Manley H beam will take more abuse than the Oliver I beam - This is not another internet opinion, we have proven it!

To the OP, if you are looking for the best piston available take a look at the MMR M2500R pistons, 2618 alloy, tested by MMR up to 2500HP! No other piston manufacturer can claim this for a modular piston! :beer:

MMR

scandalous

Established Member
Not in a 5.4 Modular!! , the problem with the 5.4 is the VERY long rod (6.658"), the longer the rod, the easier to bend. Even the Manley H beam will take more abuse than the Oliver I beam - This is not another internet opinion, we have proven it!

To the OP, if you are looking for the best piston available take a look at the MMR M2500R pistons, 2618 alloy, tested by MMR up to 2500HP! No other piston manufacturer can claim this for a modular piston! :beer:

MMR

Talked to my builder, he is already planning to use your mmr m2500r pistons.

bull3441

Established Member

MMR
Nelson Race Engines has. I've also seen your motors come with rod bolts installed upside down, drop a valve on start-up and spin a bearing on start up. maybe it's the builder.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread