Oliver or Manley I beams

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yes it does. The billet I beams are an even stronger rod, but are probably overkill for most engine builds unless you're planning on going way north of 1,000rwhp.

For the price the frpp seems to be the best bang for the buck.

the Manley H ase Chinese forgings machined in the U.S. i wonder if they use Chinese billet as well? Oliver uses American E4340 billet.

this is a 1st I heard of that. Is there proof of that. An why do you hate manley? Have you had a failed engine with manley parts? Just trying to get an idea. Because the guys I've read about getting the frpp short block seem to have really good luck with them.

shelby mark

Established Member
Yes it does. The billet I beams are an even stronger rod, but are probably overkill for most engine builds unless you're planning on going way north of 1,000rwhp.

this the only true answer, as stated above.

5.4 mod motors are bound to fail when you have upwards of 800RWHP, even with the best parts, the oiling system is marginal. Dry sump is the safe way. The next motor for me will be a dry sump.

bull3441

Established Member

this is a 1st I heard of that. Is there proof of that. An why do you hate manley? Have you had a failed engine with manley parts? Just trying to get an idea. Because the guys I've read about getting the frpp short block seem to have really good luck with them.
i don't hate Manley at all, as stated before. call Manley and ask as i did when decided as to which rod to buy. there is statements from Manley about the H beams being Chinese forged and manufactured here. i'm curious as to their billet being Chinese or U.S. MMR makes claims about Oliver with no evidence shown. there is a car on youtube with a MMR 2000hp block with Oliver rods in it. MMR will say well that's a 4.6 and the length is shorter blah blah blah.

DMotorsports

Established Member

It is a pretty good deal. However, the pistons are actually lower compression than the factory GT500 engine (8.1:1 vs 8.5:1). And, unless I'm mistaken, the frpp short block uses TTY bolts in the main caps (same as stock). MMR was offering esentially the same engine with ARP hardware and whatever compression ratio you request for pretty close to the same price.

I'm not a spokesman for any engine builder or parts manufacturer. Still have the factory engine in mine.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
you should posts links when you make claims like that. i've heard similar, but only hearsay.

This. Don't post unsubstantiated claims. Back your claims up with some links or other proof.

so member 03Steve is a liar about the wrong springs, rods and pins in his motor? the they guys who had wrong oil pumps installed? the flattop pistons finding there way into a dish piston build? i said you warrantied my friends 3 engine failures and payed for shipping. but three failures for one customer is nuts.

Has nothing to do with this thread.

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
I'm curently running the Manley Billet I-Beam rods in my GT500 and I have put a 9100 mile thrashing on them since May of last year. So far, so good. I have used Oliver billet rods in other applications in the past and I must say they were exceptional also with no failure. I truley believe you can not go wrong with either as long as the supporting equiptment and it's setup is in top shape also. Good luck with your build.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
i don't hate Manley at all, as stated before. call Manley and ask as i did when decided as to which rod to buy. there is statements from Manley about the H beams being Chinese forged and manufactured here. i'm curious as to their billet being Chinese or U.S. MMR makes claims about Oliver with no evidence shown. there is a car on youtube with a MMR 2000hp block with Oliver rods in it. MMR will say well that's a 4.6 and the length is shorter blah blah blah.

Things may have changed since the last time I looks, but at that time on the H-beams were Chinese forgings. The Manly forged I-beams were made in the USA.

it wasn't my intent to bash MMR, but i get tired of them pushing Manley like they're the only option. they are sponsored by Manley and sell Manley exclusively. Manley makes a great rod, but they're not the only choice. where's the pics of the bent Oliver rods?

I'd like to see those pics too.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm curently running the Manley Billet I-Beam rods in my GT500 and I have put a 9100 mile thrashing on them since May of last year. So far, so good. I have used Oliver billet rods in other applications in the past and I must say they were exceptional also with no failure. I truley believe you can not go wrong with either as long as the supporting equiptment and it's setup is in top shape also. Good luck with your build.

That's pretty much my take on it too.

bull3441

Established Member
This. Don't post unsubstantiated claims. Back your claims up with some links or other proof.

Has nothing to do with this thread.
they're a paying vendor so you're gonna back them. MMR has made the claim about the Oliver rods with no proof. i notified James, the owner of the 3 MMR blown motors. if he wants to post the pics it's up to him. i'm not trying to be disrespectful to you Sid, but a vendor who is sponsored by a company shouldn't be able to bash another product with out proof as well.

bull3441

Established Member
Sid,i didn't see your other post before posting my last. again not being disrespectful to you.

bull3441

Established Member
i will add, when i was shopping for a motor i called MMR first. i told them what i wanted and every answer was "well we use this or that" ok well i want H13 pins.... i want spiral lock rings etc. if i'm paying what difference is it to them? build what i ask and get payed for it.

i apologize to the OP who asked a simple question. i shouldn't have let my personal feelings about MMR knocking Oliver derail your thread.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
It is a pretty good deal. However, the pistons are actually lower compression than the factory GT500 engine (8.1:1 vs 8.5:1). And, unless I'm mistaken, the frpp short block uses TTY bolts in the main caps (same as stock). MMR was offering esentially the same engine with ARP hardware and whatever compression ratio you request for pretty close to the same price.

I'm not a spokesman for any engine builder or parts manufacturer. Still have the factory engine in mine.

Right I did see it was lower compression. But that's fine if you add more boost to make up for it. So the only real down fall is the main cap bolts which be changed to arp. Thanks for the info. I'm still on my stock engine with no issues. But If something where to happen its nice to see cost effective options.

bull3441

Established Member
Right I did see it was lower compression. But that's fine if you add more boost to make up for it. So the only real down fall is the main cap bolts which be changed to arp. Thanks for the info. I'm still on my stock engine with no issues. But If something where to happen its nice to see cost effective options.
you're not gonna notice a power loss with the lower compression. 1 full point in CR is about 4-5% N/A power. the FRPP is 3/10 of a point lower. Andy made big power on that block.

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
FWIW, i have a MMR motor and have had zero issues with it, the one problem i did have was a missing freeze plug that was solved easily, mark at MMR was very helpful and he also knew that my build would continue into the weekend, so even gave me his personal cell phone number incase i had any more issues, my motor has been in my car since april of 09. if i ever need a motor in anything else, i guarantee i will be calling MMR. by the way my motor uses the manley I-beam, and my rev limiter is set at 7100!!!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
you're not gonna notice a power loss with the lower compression. 1 full point in CR is about 4-5% N/A power. the FRPP is 3/10 of a point lower. Andy made big power on that block.

Andy car was bad ass. His frpp took a good beating.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
they're a paying vendor so you're gonna back them. MMR has made the claim about the Oliver rods with no proof. i notified James, the owner of the 3 MMR blown motors. if he wants to post the pics it's up to him. i'm not trying to be disrespectful to you Sid, but a vendor who is sponsored by a company shouldn't be able to bash another product with out proof as well.

I'm not backing anyone, I just want fairness. That's why I said I'd like to see pics of the bent rods.

Sid,i didn't see your other post before posting my last. again not being disrespectful to you.

NP:beer:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Sid, there's something I want to slip in at this point. I want to credit you and thank you and the rest of the crew here at SVTP. Things can get, shall we say, a bit testy at times. Personalities conflict. We reach different conclusions quite often when discussing even the simplest, most mundane of topics. And as heated as things may get, you let the chips fall where they may.

That's what I'm most thankful for. Because after the ugliness, there is reflection during the calm. It can be forgiveness or eternal hatred. Whatever the outcome, as men, we learn from it and move on - a kind of closure if you will.

So when I visit sites like Camaro5 and see how they handle issues that they don't want discussed, no matter how fair and logical an individual may have been, individuals are often chastised and banished for eternity. All of which is horribly counterproductive and encourages even the most devout GM fan to become somewhat keyboard 'nervous' and hypocritical.

So thanks.

That said, why is there even a discussion on aftermarket rods? I've been told countless times how the factory PM rods could withstand the forces of even the angriest God.

:)

[/sarcasm off]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread