Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
My car facts....
03 SB vert.
no FLSC
H&R race springs only on the rear with ISO's in
Factory shocks
7,000 miles (almost a new car)

So I finally got to pick up my car today from Bruce at FTBR. Seriously the rain has been killing my plans cause my car has 7,000 miles on it and I want no rust on it so I been waiting for a dry day.

Anyways I stop in a Bruce explains a few things to me and the ride starts.

First of all I didnt even drive it at first cause Bruce had to test drive it first cause this was the first day he drove it too after the install just to check the work but I had a big smile on my face as he took it for a spin.

What I noticed first was the stability of the car in the first turn and then in the acceleration, f'in phenomenal how that IRS responds correctly now and how stable it is in turns.

So we were cruising at 75mph and Bruce asked me if the rear end noise bothered me, I said what noise. I guess some people have had poorly installed rear gears, noisy aftermarket gears or just beat rear ends and heard noise. You got to remember my car has 7,000 miles on it so that rear end is factory new and expertly set-up to begin with. Bruce used the volume control (Gas Pedal) to show me at 75mph under load there is just a little whine, I had to listen hard to hear it and it was so quiet I would never even hear it with the radio on or top down.

So a heavy acceleration from a rolling start..... NO WHEEL HOP. I used to have this where the car shook violently with my stock IRS.

My turn to drive.....

First turn I get the car sideways...... damn traction control is still on.... shut that thing off.

Second turn I get the car sideways hard and it recovers instantly like it was on rails. The sock IRS made me crap my pants when I did this cause it felt like the road was butter and I was all over it trying to get the car straight again.

More smiles on my face.

I go and dump the clutch on one of them tared roads where they poor gravel on it so they are not smooth.... yep I got some wheel hop and hate to admit it but remember I have no FLSC and I am running stock shocks that are fighting with my H&R race springs. Also if you notice in the picture below you can see on normal asphalt that is smooth I have no wheel hop.... Time to get the Stifflers system in soon.

Back at FTBR I do some tight turns at the end of the street in a culdesac and this system impresses me again. The car felt like it was on rails.

I cant say anything bad about the FTBR system and I am fully impressed with Bruce and the crew at his shop!

My car handles like it should of from the factory.

If anybody is on the fence about getting this kit I hope it helped you decide on the FTBR system.

What I had installed.
FT 1350M Ford Racing Reinforced IRS Rear Diff Cover
FT 5001 Complete IRS Bushing Kit
FT 1860 Deluxe Bumpsteer/Upgraded Toe Link Kit

http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/index.htm

P.S. That is my awesome Maroon 98 Windstar in the picture.:banana:

Also I just went and counted my steps.... looks like over a 60ft track of rubber I laid down. You can almost see the treads in it.

9417d1366142072-my-irs-complete-install-ftbr-laying-down.jpg

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
badass brother! Glad your another happy FTBR customer. I had a similar experience on my first test drive after install!

IA Shelby

Established Member
Great write up. Sounds like a must do mod.

What is the best match for the h&r race springs for shocks/struts btw?

shurur

Established Member
sounds great,
The stifflers will take it up yet another notch..

If you change/need gears consider looking in to a Detroit truetrak as well.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
I have to research shocks, any inputs would be appreciated. I don't want fancy dial in ones, just bolt on and forget!

The H&R Race springs are un-noticeable. The car is lowered but I did not notice any ride change over stock where it was harsher. Seems smooth to me.

shurur

Established Member
I have to research shocks, any inputs would be appreciated. I don't want fancy dial in ones, just bolt on and forget!

The H&R Race springs are un-noticeable. The car is lowered but I did not notice any ride change over stock where it was harsher. Seems smooth to me.

B8 Bilstein Sport shocks/struts are faster than the B6 HDs and used on the 2000R. The H&R Race are ~ the same rate as the 2000R Mustang Springs.

Better shock than the HD and for same money.

The B8's can keep up with the H&R Super race springs and other 1000#+ springs like steeda comps, AFCOs, Griggs blue springs, landrum... yup.

Also I think maybe Bilstein can rebuild/re-valve your OEM HDs to B8 for you....
and that MM can rebuild yours to their MM race spec series.

MM responds quickly to email...

Last edited:

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
So I accidentally got the car up to 100 this weekend and NO DRIVELINE VIBRATION.

I used to get it with the stock system around 80 MPH, nasty shake.

Another positive outcome with this upgrade!

cj428mach

Established Member
I thought Bruce was saying Verts needed SFC's for the FTBR bushing kit to work its magic.

shurur

Established Member
So I accidentally got the car up to 100 this weekend and NO DRIVELINE VIBRATION.

I used to get it with the stock system around 80 MPH, nasty shake.

Another positive outcome with this upgrade!

Accidently?? Yah I'm accidently nearly maxed on tickets...:burnout:

03Cobranator

Established Member
I as well just finished the Install Last Weekend and Was EXTREMELY Impressed!!! It was very time consuming but VERY worthit!

Users who are viewing this thread