On Speed NOW!!!! Sun 10AM EDT

SDW Racing

Established Member
RIGHT NOW!!!!!

The Rolex 6 hours race at Watkins Glen for Daytona Protoype and GT classes!!!

You can get a good look at the changes at the Glen regarding runoff, curbs and fencing.

Cars look pretty good too!

03'Darin

Established Member
I went to the Glen Saturday for the GA race. They have made TONS of changes since I was there last year.

- No more foam blocks (now tires with sheeting over them)
- FIA spec curbing
- Moved some of the guard rails back
- Cut lots of trees down in the boot
- Installed lots of catch fence
- Removed the gravel trap from turn one, brought the ground level up 5 feet and PAVED the entire run off area with an abrasive blacktop.

Those are just the changes I noticed without being on the track.

Darin

SDW Racing

Established Member
Darin,

Yup, totally different vibe driving the track now. I drove it for the first time in May with the new changes. Most radical change is the layout of the boot. Two flag stations in the laces and you can see across to the sole, they musta moved tons of earth. Not used to seeing daylight and other cars as you go down the chute.

What did you think of the race? Man, it was loony when the rains started.

I think I enjoy the GA races more than anything else now. It used to be the TA races, but they are so screwed up, they rarely televise them anymore.

03'Darin

Established Member
SDW Racing said:
Darin,

Yup, totally different vibe driving the track now. I drove it for the first time in May with the new changes. Most radical change is the layout of the boot. Two flag stations in the laces and you can see across to the sole, they musta moved tons of earth. Not used to seeing daylight and other cars as you go down the chute.

What did you think of the race? Man, it was loony when the rains started.

I think I enjoy the GA races more than anything else now. It used to be the TA races, but they are so screwed up, they rarely televise them anymore.

I actually didn't stay for the 6 hour on Sunday. I only got to see some of it on TV. I must say the DP class usually puts on one hell of a show. I remember watching the first race at Holmstead when the DP's were introduced and I think there were only three of them. I figured the class would just be another place for a manufacture to come in and buy a series title. I'm impressed with what the series has turned out to be. Between the Speed Challenge, GA and Rolex series there is some awesome racing to be seen.

I went up Saturday to watch some friends of mine that campaign one of the 2005 Mustang "boy racer" cars.

Darin

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
03'Darin said:
I went up Saturday to watch some friends of mine that campaign one of the 2005 Mustang "boy racer" cars.

I read the #55 car finsihed 2nd. A BMW M3 won and a Porsche 996 finished 3rd. The #5 car was 7th. How did your guy do?

The #05 car must have had a bad day since it finished back in the pack although it had a good lap time early in the race.

All of my friends are going up this weekend for the HSR Watkins Glen Historic Races (June 16-19). It features the Ford GT40/Shelby/Cobra Reunion and the Anglo-American GT Challenge. I can't go. Something about my wedding anniversary. :shrug:
HSR Race.com

03'Darin

Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
I read the #55 car finsihed 2nd. A BMW M3 won and a Porsche 996 finished 3rd. The #5 car was 7th. How did your guy do?

The #05 car must have had a bad day since it finished back in the pack although it had a good lap time early in the race.

All of my friends are going up this weekend for the HSR Watkins Glen Historic Races (June 16-19). It features the Ford GT40/Shelby/Cobra Reunion and the Anglo-American GT Challenge. I can't go. Something about my wedding anniversary. :shrug:
HSR Race.com

The 05' Mustangs have been doing very well this year. The 5 and 55 cars are campained by MultiMatic with Ford money. They are doing the best. The 05 car is another one of the factory "boy racer" cars (built by MultiMatic) being run by Ian James and ? Nastasi. They are also doing pretty well this year. My friends have been doing pretty well this season with their best finishes being an 11th at Dayton (pretty good considering they started like 37th) and 8th at Santo Domingo. However, they struggled all weekend just not being able to get the handle on the car. With less than 10 minutes to go in the race they were hit by a Porsche and sent into the wall hard. Driver was knocked unconscious, cut out of the car and flown to the hospital. Fortunately before I even got home that night he was released from the hospital with nothing more than bad bruises and heat exhaustion.

Darin

SDW Racing

Established Member
hawkls1 said:
track masters.bin going there with them for 4 years.i use to going with track time 2 or 3 years :-D

cool! If you're interested we always do the big 3 day PDA event at the Glen in October. We're also running there with Rochester Shelby Club in August.

SDW Racing

Established Member
03'Darin said:
I actually didn't stay for the 6 hour on Sunday. I only got to see some of it on TV. I must say the DP class usually puts on one hell of a show. I remember watching the first race at Holmstead when the DP's were introduced and I think there were only three of them. I figured the class would just be another place for a manufacture to come in and buy a series title. I'm impressed with what the series has turned out to be. Between the Speed Challenge, GA and Rolex series there is some awesome racing to be seen.

Darin

Darin,

Damn! Was it televised? I only found out about the GA DP & GT race Sunday morning. I would have loved to see the Mustangs run at the Glen. I love those cars.

BTW...I am taking up a collection to buy a Boy Racer...donations can be sent directly to me via PayPal....I only need $129, 998 more.

03'Darin

Established Member
SDW Racing said:
Darin,

Damn! Was it televised? I only found out about the GA DP & GT race Sunday morning. I would have loved to see the Mustangs run at the Glen. I love those cars.

BTW...I am taking up a collection to buy a Boy Racer...donations can be sent directly to me via PayPal....I only need $129, 998 more.

Now you tell me you wanted to go.........I had a spare weekend ticket that I could have given you. :p It's pretty awesome to see the Mustangs running up front with the Porsches, BMW's and Nissans.

Sorry I can't help your "boy racer" car fund. lol I'd help my buddy right now if I was helping anyone. He has to buy a new one now because his is junk. :uh oh:

Darin

SDW Racing

Established Member
I couldn't go, I could only watch on TV. I'm pretty tied up right now with house stuff and trying to sell the race car.

No more toys for a while.

03'Darin

Established Member
SDW Racing said:
I couldn't go, I could only watch on TV. I'm pretty tied up right now with house stuff and trying to sell the race car.

No more toys for a while.

The GA race is always broadcast tape delayed. It will be airing this Sunday on Speed.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
I was watching this and watched a GTO hit the wall. Chuckled a bit :p

And then I think it was the Pontiac prototype that was driving along on its front valence (wheel fell off) and he piloted it halfway around the course and into the pit with not so much as a scratch on it!

Users who are viewing this thread