On the fence with what pony car to buy?

eagle eye

Established Member
If it doesn't matter to you if it's a Chevy or Ford you have to own to have fun, you may want to think twice before plunking down a chunk of cash on a ZL1.
These ZL1s are having some HUGE quality issues.
Many ZL1 owners are having intermittent steering loss issues, engine oil leaks, and I mean major leaks, warranty , and a host of other concerns that should make any normal human run the other way.
I could go on for ever but if you bought a Shelby, you definitely made the right choice.

Yeah, like you didn't already know that.

If your curious, checkout the C5 forum for yourself, you won't believe it.

Cam

n/a
Established Member
The ZL1 is a nice car, but 662hp made the choice to own a GT500 very easy!

Zeroescence

Established Member
Horsepower doesn't mean shit if its in the dealer's shop for warranty work all the time. My grandfather always told me that GM products should come with oil trays to put in your garage from the factory. GM = same crap products since inception. Ford has had its problems but have a generally high quality product that lasts.

Cam

n/a
Established Member
They are all more or less "Made in Detroit", not Heaven. :beer:

Kewlv8

Established Member
If it doesn't matter to you if it's a Chevy or Ford you have to own to have fun, you may want to think twice before plunking down a chunk of cash on a ZL1.
These ZL1s are having some HUGE quality issues.
Many ZL1 owners are having intermittent steering loss issues, engine oil leaks, and I mean major leaks, warranty , and a host of other concerns that should make any normal human run the other way.
I could go on for ever but if you bought a Shelby, you definitely made the right choice.

Yeah, like you didn't already know that.

If your curious, checkout the C5 forum for yourself, you won't believe it.

GM may have stretched the Caddy Platform too far to try to keep up with the Shelby and is paying the price. The ZL1 is a commuter car trying to be a muscle car, while the GT500 was purpose built to kick ass and take abuse. thumbsup:

rwboring

Established Member
Ford has had its problems but have a generally high quality product that lasts.

the amazing thing is that I have seen many Fords over 150k miles and still going strong... actually my dad had a 1990 Ranger he drove to work everyday and beat the hell out of and he sold it for $500 with 252k on it, and with general maintenance only had minor issues...

where i am going with that is in the early 2000's ford really stepped up their quality program, at one point (IIRC) they had the least amount of recalls per 100 cars in the industry.

they have really changed the game (one which i feel they were good with other then the 1988 F-150 and the 1983 LTD (which i think was the 3.8, first time alum heads on cast motor, once again IIRC))

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
apparently no one has ever owned a powerstroke

I do recall when the 6.0 came out back in 2003 we called it the "powercroaker" with the "no-shift" transmission.

But it was on the early trucks- and it was quickly rectified (atleast in our dealerships case)

Last edited:

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
apparently no one has ever owned a powerstroke

I think the root of all this was how much smack was talked by GM, Camaro owners and bow tie fanboys all before the cars were even out and tested. Now that the rubber has hit the road so to say, the story has turned out quite different.

Yes, Ford has had their issues in the past, we owned a 6.0 PowerStroke before. Was INCREDIBLE..........for the first month and a half, then the dealer did a "Ford recommended ECU upgrade" and had nothing but EGR valve issues after. Ford has stepped their game up lately. This is simply us enjoying the spoils of that. Mainly, mass amounts of Camaro/Corvette egos annihilated across the country :D

Mxfrench

Established Member
I have worked for Ford service as well as Dodge. Its now funny that Dodge is owned by Fix It Again Tony (FIAT). If it were not for recalls and crappy design I would never eat lol. I have not worked at a Chevy service dept and honsetly I do not know if I could. Where I live the battle lines of Ford/Chevy/Dodge is thin its more the tuner cars. Lots of Military with money.

For me I ordered a GT500 Silver wih blue. Love my Mustangs just glad we got some fang back.
Maybe thats a liscense plate fangbck

Last edited:

04svtsnke

Established Member
I'd have to agree, the more unread the thread and the bs excuses it just doesn't seem plausible that you would have a deposit down on one of the baddest pony cars of all time and go to a lesser version because of rumors. I wonder if he's had the electric steering problem, the oil leak and more importantly getting his doors blown off by the so called huge-issued '13 gt500.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
the amazing thing is that I have seen many Fords over 150k miles and still going strong... actually my dad had a 1990 Ranger he drove to work everyday and beat the hell out of and he sold it for $500 with 252k on it, and with general maintenance only had minor issues...

where i am going with that is in the early 2000's ford really stepped up their quality program, at one point (IIRC) they had the least amount of recalls per 100 cars in the industry.

they have really changed the game (one which i feel they were good with other then the 1988 F-150 and the 1983 LTD (which i think was the 3.8, first time alum heads on cast motor, once again IIRC))

Lexus has owned this title for the last couple years

duramaxsp33d

Established Member
I think the root of all this was how much smack was talked by GM, Camaro owners and bow tie fanboys all before the cars were even out and tested. Now that the rubber has hit the road so to say, the story has turned out quite different.

Yes, Ford has had their issues in the past, we owned a 6.0 PowerStroke before. Was INCREDIBLE..........for the first month and a half, then the dealer did a "Ford recommended ECU upgrade" and had nothing but EGR valve issues after. Ford has stepped their game up lately. This is simply us enjoying the spoils of that. Mainly, mass amounts of Camaro/Corvette egos annihilated across the country :D

Agreed, the ZL1 is a fail from the lack of performance or quality. My powerstroke sucked, snapped a crank with 1800 miles cruising down the free way at 65mph. The fix was plagued with numerous ecu crappy upgrades and turbo failures. Dumped it and won't ever go back.
I do want a GT500 tho :rockon: and is from a chevy guy. The new gt500 is just amazing.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Agreed, the ZL1 is a fail from the lack of performance or quality. My powerstroke sucked, snapped a crank with 1800 miles cruising down the free way at 65mph. The fix was plagued with numerous ecu crappy upgrades and turbo failures. Dumped it and won't ever go back.
I do want a GT500 tho :rockon: and is from a chevy guy. The new gt500 is just amazing.

Well it's a good thing GM never had any issues with their vehicles :banana:. :read: Every car manufacturer has issues with their products and you got a taste of it. It happens.

eagle eye

Established Member

Ford did have issues with some of the power strokes but a lot of that was due to their supplier. They no longer have to worry about that.

There hasn't been as much hot air coming from the GM camp lately. A lot of ZL1 owners are voicing their concerns over issues that apparently have been an internal secret. What, didnt the GM engineers think that the block porosity issues in the LSA engines wouldn't eventually surface or didn't they care?
But to loose you electric p/s while your driving and GMs fix is to shut the engine off and restart it, I'll try to remember that when I'm trying to avoid the women pushing her baby stoller through the crosswalk.
Gee, wheres Al Bundy been through all this. For months all he did was to bash Ford and the new Shelby.
Maybe it's time to go back to Obama and see if they can get more money so they can fix all the design flaws

Users who are viewing this thread