On3 fuel hat??

cooper1320

Established Member
cant see myself paying 500-700 bucks for the fuel hat from LP.
would rather just spray the car

saw On3 has a triple fuel hat for 291,
http://www.on3performance.com/shop/on-3-performance-triple-fuel-hat-assembly/

says its e85 coated.

did a search but didn't find anything about reviews on this.
heard On3 has awesome customer service

so pretty much looking for feedback, if I should get this or stay away

dan_dmg_gt01

Established Member
I bought one last year, be ready to modify if you buy it. Here are the issues I ran into.

1. The return fitting that's on the underside of the fuel hat has to be trimmed a lot to fit into the ring on the fuel tank so that the holes will line up.

2. The supply and return ports are drilled/tapped shallow both the fittings that go into them had to be cut down. -10 and -8 where cut down from FACTORY. When I installed my
-6 return fitting into the hat it had to be cut down as well.

3. You have to buy a cobra fuel level sender. Period. If I remember right even that was a PITA having to find screws that would fit the fuel hat, I don't think the factory cobra sender bolts will work. (Unless you order it assembled, buy the sender from LP best price I found)

4. I had problems getting the actual fuel pumps into the hat, kept ripping the O-rings. Guys I know with Fore hats say they slipped right in no problems.

5. The holes for the wires are really small like 16ga I think, I ended up drilling them out for 12ga. Also having to seal the holes after to make sure gas/fumes don't leak out. I used RTV to seal them but I haven't had my car running to know if it worked.

6. And then you have to connect all the wires to the factory stuff. I ended up getting a bunch of GM connectors and pins to re-pin the factory harness, and also added another connector for power to the fuel pump.

Honestly I think the On3 Fuel Hat is an ok piece, it could use a little refinement. And if you can handle doing the little tweaks to make it work go for it but, that's why your saving money. Check Ebay before you order from On3 because they usually sell it cheaper there. If you need any Pics of anything my fuel tank is down right now and I could pull the hat off and show you anything you need.
-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread