On3 kits

T davis

Established Member
What are the pros and cons of using a twin on3 kit for a 03 cobra. With precision turbos?

Kiohtee

Established Member
Do you... What are...

Do you even know what you're doing here?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Cons: Cost, tubular suspension will be required, Cost, Fitment of on3, Cost, need for fuel system upgrades, Cost, Need for driveline upgrades, Cost, need for 01/Mach parts, Cost.

Pros: Precision turbos will last 6 months before eating themselves, you will make a decent dyno number.

MG0h3

Established Member
Has On3 gotten any better? Ive seen a few coyote guys run them.

I remember when they first came on the seen and it was garbage. Chinese SS that would rust and nothing would fit.

Just due to those facts I wouldn't even look at them.

GodStang

Established Member
They have gotten a bit better. I am looking at using them for another Mustang I am building. I plan to use their pipes but upgrade the turbos and waste gates and what not to big name items. People are building really nice setups going this route. I for sure would not use the turbos and other pieces that comes with their basic kit.

Has On3 gotten any better? Ive seen a few coyote guys run them.

I remember when they first came on the seen and it was garbage. Chinese SS that would rust and nothing would fit.

Just due to those facts I wouldn't even look at them.

wanna_b_03

Established Member
I've used both On3 and CG fabrication for turbo kits. Lets just say the On3 was significantly cheaper but the quality of the weld were better. The CG headers i received were warped so bad they wound never work. I sent them back and got a refund. With the refund money i purchased the complete On3 hot side minus turbo. The quality was great way better than expected. i test fix everything and had no problems with fitment. I later removed this as it was a single setup and i wanted twins. So i went back to CG and ordered another set of headers. These ones were good. they were straight but the welds weren't the best looking. Overall they did work and i was happy but just thought the welds could have been better.

With all this being said there is nothing wrong with an On3 kit. if money is tight i would go that route. if money isn't an issue i would recommend a custom turbo kit. if you have buddy that can weld it might almost be cheaper and you can make the kit fit your needs and mods! Thats the route i took. bought CG headers and had a custom kit made to fit twin 6766s

stangfreak

Established Member
I am looking at the on3 more and more. I just cant justify spending close to 10 grand just for piping. Its crazy.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
The on3 piping is ok. They have issues with fitment from time to time, their v-bands are complete crap. Their BOV and wastegate are china crap. Their turbos are old technology left over design crap. If you buy a kit expect to re-do much of it to get anything that resembles a quality kit. Sure someone can slap it on and run for a bit though.

stangfreak

Established Member
yes, I heard people getting different v band clamps, bov and wastegate.

Nightmare, what turbos do you suggest?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Their newer sets aren't unreliable they just don't make as much power. Their old stuff is garbage though. I use Borg Warner, Garret makes good stuff. Some people love precision I personally had issues but I may just have had bad luck.

stangfreak

Established Member
I've used both On3 and CG fabrication for turbo kits. Lets just say the On3 was significantly cheaper but the quality of the weld were better. The CG headers i received were warped so bad they wound never work. I sent them back and got a refund. With the refund money i purchased the complete On3 hot side minus turbo. The quality was great way better than expected. i test fix everything and had no problems with fitment. I later removed this as it was a single setup and i wanted twins. So i went back to CG and ordered another set of headers. These ones were good. they were straight but the welds weren't the best looking. Overall they did work and i was happy but just thought the welds could have been better.

With all this being said there is nothing wrong with an On3 kit. if money is tight i would go that route. if money isn't an issue i would recommend a custom turbo kit. if you have buddy that can weld it might almost be cheaper and you can make the kit fit your needs and mods! Thats the route i took. bought CG headers and had a custom kit made to fit twin 6766s

I wish cg fab would just offer a complete kit. You have to finish off the kit. It will cost me just as much as getting a complete kit from another company.

wanna_b_03

Established Member
I wish cg fab would just offer a complete kit. You have to finish off the kit. It will cost me just as much as getting a complete kit from another company.

In my experience buying a prefabbed kit works but it will still need work to make it fit correctly. If the Kit is designed with brand A k member but you use brand B k member it can throw off the whole fitment. Personally i would suggest buying headers, turbo/s, intercooler, bov, wg, and making a custom kit to your car. it really doesn't cost as much as people think. I found out its less than buying a complete HPP or Armageddon kit.

stangfreak

Established Member
HPP is expensive. There kit doesn't even include the suspension.

a complete turbo kit will include the k member and all the other items needed. so there should be no confusion like you said on using brand A's kit and brand B's suspension.

The last kit that was decently priced was HP. complete kit with k member and suspension. Two of my friends used that kit long time ago and I saw both cars being built. I am also friends with my tuner, who installed those kits and he will tell his customers how it is. He doesn't sugar coat things and doesn't believe what floats around on the internet. well if its on the web it must be true! No. Both mustangs had zero fitment issues with the HP kits and no problems at all. You will hear different opinions on this but those two cars had no problems. The one cobra went 8.30's and the mach 1 went 9.10's with little 57mm turbos driven by a man in his 60's.

Matter of fact HP was going to sell the turbo pipe making machine to mustang magic. They were going to mass produce turbo kits but it never worked out.

Packerfan88

Established Member
I had the on3 4v kit on my mach 1 and it was pretty good. made 473/444 on 9psi. I built the engine and swapped to a PTE 7675 and made 9xx on 18lbs. Great kit for the money. not 100% fit but nothing extra time can't fix. i will be going this route again on my 97 cobra just not sure if TT or single.

Users who are viewing this thread