only 180 mph

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
yet you have understood nothing that was just discussed.

You and math were not friends i see.

Even when i do it for you.

And we go full circle to you still fear the gear.
You showed from the start that you didnt know a thing.You and reality are not friends.Fear the top end!

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I can see some of that.Rowing your own gears is more exciting!!Sure you wont win all the races or most of them,BUT the fun factor will always be with a manual.

Having the DCT I don't miss my manual. The DCT has a lot of the same character as a manual, w/o it's drawbacks.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
13/14
5th .74
That's the correct ratio for the 10-12, but for whatever reason, the 13-14's 5th gear ratio is .76:1. Not much difference really.

The 180 mph factory throttle based speed limit is easily changed with a tune, or so I assume. My 2012 was speed limited to 155, but I drove it to 185 mph at the Texas Mile. That was pretty much just below the factory redline in 5th gear with my then stock bottom end and 3.73s. Shifting to 6th at the top of 5th drops the rpm too much to overcome the aero at that speed. Granted you could continue to accelerate, but not like you would if you were able to stay at higher revs. But if you're mile racing, you'd probably want 3.31s or 3.55s, if you had the mods to get to 200 mph. And you should be able to hit 180 mph with 4.10s, but you will be spinning the engine 7,000 rpm at the top of 5th gear. With 3.3.1s you're only turning 5,500 rpm at 180 mph.

Ford did us no favors with a .5:1 6th gear ratio other than cheat the EPA out of the gas guzzler tax.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
That's the correct ratio for the 10-12, but for whatever reason, the 13-14's 5th gear ratio is .76:1. Not much difference really.

The 180 mph factory throttle based speed limit is easily changed with a tune, or so I assume. My 2012 was speed limited to 155, but I drove it to 185 mph at the Texas Mile. That was pretty much just below the factory redline in 5th gear with my then stock bottom end and 3.73s. Shifting to 6th at the top of 5th drops the rpm too much to overcome the aero at that speed. Granted you could continue to accelerate, but not like you would if you were able to stay at higher revs. But if you're mile racing, you'd probably want 3.31s or 3.55s, if you had the mods to get to 200 mph. And you should be able to hit 180 mph with 4.10s, but you will be spinning the engine 7,000 rpm at the top of 5th gear. With 3.3.1s you're only turning 5,500 rpm at 180 mph.

Ford did us no favors with a .5:1 6th gear ratio other than cheat the EPA out of the gas guzzler tax.
Thanks for the correction Catmonkey

I also assume the 331 in the 13/14 were also to make the EPA/gas guzzler tax happy

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the correction Catmonkey

I also assume the 331 in the 13/14 were also to make the EPA/gas guzzler tax happy
That and the higher 1st gear ratio probably had more to do with lowering the 0-60 times by eliminating the 1-2 shift, but the later cars did have an extra 25 cu. in., so it may have contributed to better mpg. I now have a 13-14 transmission in my car for the 1st gear ratio. I am toying with the notion of putting in 3.90s or 4.10s. My current cams and 3.73s are not that well matched for in-town cruising. But maybe I just need to drop down a gear more frequently. I'd hate to swap them out and not accomplish what I'm hoping. Pretty sure the 3.73s are now too low for any future mile attempts anyway.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
That and the higher 1st gear ratio probably had more to do with lowering the 0-60 times by eliminating the 1-2 shift, but the later cars did have an extra 25 cu. in., so it may have contributed to better mpg. I now have a 13-14 transmission in my car for the 1st gear ratio. I am toying with the notion of putting in 3.90s or 4.10s. My current cams and 3.73s are not that well matched for in-town cruising. But maybe I just need to drop down a gear more frequently. I'd hate to swap them out and not accomplish what I'm hoping. Pretty sure the 3.73s are now too low for any future mile attempts anyway.

For your cams is there a preferred rpm they want to operate at cruising speeds?

Gears would help if they put you in the desired rpm for cruising.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
For your cams is there a preferred rpm they want to operate at cruising speeds?
They're not real terribly aggressive, but the stock cams are so mild that they can operate smoothly at 1,000 rpm. These need to be at least 1,500 rpm to be happy. 3.90s would give me about 4.5%higher rpm and 4.10s 10%. With the 3.73s, 65 mph cruise in 6th is ~ 1,500 rpm

Users who are viewing this thread