Opinions if I should buy this 03 Cobra

mustang_guy

Established Member
Hey guys, after selling my 04 Cobra I’ve regretted it ever since. I’ve had an s197 and a few fox bodies since but have an offer to trade my 89 coupe for an 03 cobra with a friend. Imo both cars are on par as far as worth go and me and my buddy both agree with that.
My question is, what your opinion on weather or not this is something I should get into.
The car is black and has 83,000 miles, is that too high of milage of a car to get into?
The interior has been recently detailed so the seats are in nice shape. The car overall is in nice shape other than the rear bumpers been painted (which I will do a carfax)
It has been rust proofed (oiled) at one point but the engine bay is clean.
Mods are as follows:
Gen2 tvs
Accufab (polished) sbtb and vmp elbow
Jlt
Ba2600 maf
Siemens Deka EV6 60lb inj
Ngk tr7ix
KB BAP
Dual pass fluidyne HX
Powered SVT cop covers
Pro5.0 shifter and MGW handle (feels just right)
New OEM clutch installed my dealer at ~90k kilometres
Magnaflow catted Xpipe
Borla stinger catback
Cluster bezel dual gauge pod
AEM wb02 sens with bung welded into X
Digital boost gauge with last peak recall
Machined/Anthricite OEM style rime 10.5/9
Nitto 315 nt555 rears, fallken 285 front
IRS brace, delrin front and rear diff bushings... the thing doesn't wheel hop at all

26DFC3FD-47DD-43B8-B682-F6E868103C1A.jpg

42618DAF-56EB-47E6-9A18-024DCD8E8C68.jpg

Discuss...

Last edited:

mustang_guy

Established Member
Edit pics in first post

Attachments

• 26DFC3FD-47DD-43B8-B682-F6E868103C1A.jpg
    26DFC3FD-47DD-43B8-B682-F6E868103C1A.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 42618DAF-56EB-47E6-9A18-024DCD8E8C68.jpg
    42618DAF-56EB-47E6-9A18-024DCD8E8C68.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 145

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
+1 ^.
Almost thinking about trading the other way around for my 03 cobra.
But notch is a low 8 sec car, Dart M block with a 8285 DBB turbo and a PG. Easily has 10k more into it then my 03. I am new to the 99-04 platform but might stay with it. getting older I like driving more then wrenching now..

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Get the 03. Foxes are easier to get into if you desire another down the road.
Also, unless the Fox body is a low mile mint coupe or good condition Cobra, it isn't near the same value imho

mustang_guy

Established Member
Thanks guys but I don’t really want to make his thread about my fox or what each is worth TBH.
My biggest concern and reason I made this thread is because I’m worried about the milage on the car.
From what I understand the owner who modded it bought it in 2011 so I think it was fairly stock till then.
Should I be worried about the drivetrain being “on its last legs” with that milage?

On a side note here is a picture of the fox as a token of appreciation for your guys help lol
Car is spotless with a new build, everything done no expense spared.

E43AE8DE-1106-4B40-A126-6F9482B50402.png

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Get the 03. Foxes are easier to get into if you desire another down the road.

I would say quite the contrary as far as finding a fox vs terminator.

Fox bodies are very difficult to find a clean example, especially a coupe.
Terminators are everywhere for sale. There's 6 on my local CL right now, and there's one fox coupe and it's a beat up p.o.s.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks guys but I don’t really want to make his thread about my fox or what each is worth TBH.
My biggest concern and reason I made this thread is because I’m worried about the milage on the car.
From what I understand the owner who modded it bought it in 2011 so I think it was fairly stock till then.
Should I be worried about the drivetrain being “on its last legs” with that milage?

On a side note here is a picture of the fox as a token of appreciation for your guys help lol

View attachment 1442157

Keep the fox.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member

View attachment 1442157
It's just an interesting dichotomy, because generally speaking the Cobra would be worth twice as much, but in my own experience a nice Fox 5.0 five speed coupe would be three times as hard to find.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I personally would keep the fox and add a terminator to the stable, if possible down the road.

I had a very clean 92 coupe, medium titanium metallic, 5 spd, factory non ac car. It had 39k miles, and I sold that for 10k. If I had the space I would have kept it. I sold it a bought a cobra.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I personally would keep the fox and add a terminator to the stable, if possible down the road.

I had a very clean 92 coupe, medium titanium metallic, 5 spd, factory non ac car. It had 39k miles, and I sold that for 10k. If I had the space I would have kept it. I sold it a bought a cobra.

Yup, I sold my clean 89 coupe to get into a SN95. Glad I went with the SN95, and have been sticking with them ever since, but that coupe was the one that got away. Wish I had it back.

Foxes are getting harder and harder to find every day.
I'd keep the coupe, especially if it was just finished up.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
That coupe would spank just about any Cobra. Seems it all depends on what you want to do with it. That notch would be happiest at the track, whereas the Cobra would probably be more fun as a cruiser. A buddy recently sold an amazing 9 second notch - amazing show-quality build - because he just didn't enjoy it as often as he'd like. He likes his Terminator with the usual streetable mods ( just the usual 700 rwhp ) because he can jump in it and have fun without going to the track.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
This thread makes me want to trade my Terminator for a Fox coupe.
Like I could ever find one around here.

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
To answer your original question we would need to know more about the fox. Not sure why your holding out on the info for it.

I have a 83k mile black terminator and a decently built fox with 90k miles. Both are super clean but the cobra would be worth about 9k more.

mustang_guy

Established Member
It seems there’s a 50/50 response which is kinda where I’m at on the trade.
I don’t want to get into mods on my fox mostly because I really don’t want to get into what’s worth what, that’s not the point of me making this thread.
On a note about fox’s I can say that they are getting really hard to find clean and straight. Specially a coupe IMO.

Anyway. trade and fox body aside is 83,000 miles too much for a termi?
Last thing I wanna do it get this car and have to rebuild the bottom end shortly after

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
No I wouldn't be afraid of 83k miles. Mine drives just as good as it did at 40k, maybe better. If it's been well taken care of I'd do the trade.

There's a member on here with over 400k miles on his stock bottom end.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
All cobras are beat on, and the mods aren’t there for looks. Your gonna see what it’s got quite a few times so do a compression check and maintain the oil and transmission fluids sounds like all the bolt on stuff is new.

Users who are viewing this thread