Opinions if I should buy this 03 Cobra

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I think it's actually much easier to find a decent 03-04 Cobra than a nice Fox 5.0 five speed coupe, but I still don't think the Fox commands nearly the same dollars, all other things being equal.

I would say quite the contrary as far as finding a fox vs terminator.

I was speaking to the price difference between the two. It's easier to cough up the money for a fox than a terminator. It would have to be a pretty jam up fox body to be in the ballpark, price wise, as a Terminator.
There are lots of foxes out there. Granted, not many that aren't dirty or hacked up.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This thread makes me want to trade my Terminator for a Fox coupe.
Like I could ever find one around here.

I drove 14 hours one way to find a good one. That car was in Colorado and I live in Minnesota. The guy I sold it to lives in N Carolina. He flew into Minneapolis and drove it back.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Yup, I sold my clean 89 coupe to get into a SN95.

Foxes are getting harder and harder to find every day.
I'd keep the coupe, especially if it was just finished up.

Yup, that is my story as well. I had an 89GT that I did everything to bolt on wise and then added a paint job and serious stereo system. I traded it in to get my Roush. Looking back i wish I kept my 89GT. It was a great car and there's not much out there for sale that could come close to it now.

Before (Purchased 1991)
89GT-1.JPG

After (Traded Nov 2002)
89GT.JPG

Did a search for it by the VIN last year and found it in a junk yard.........
Wrecked.JPG

OP, I say KEEP your notch and add a Terminator when your funds permit. Or forget the Terminator and keep the Notch. You don't see Fox bodies on the road that much any more. Although not a Cobra, you still do see New Edge Mustangs on the road all the time.

My vote: NO TRADE...........

R15393

Established Member
Can the oem clutch handle the extra power a tvs puts out? I had to upgrade mine with a port and pulley swap. I think that cobra would bring $17k at best. But I'm not a fan of buying a modded car. Just my opinion.

mustang_guy

Established Member
Thanks guys. I think I might hold on to my fox body. It might be a better idea to sell it and spend some money on a lower km cobra in the future

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
lol, everyone told me to keep my fox and ditch the Shelby....which is what i did. anyways....

nothing wrong with the higher mileage AS LONG as you do a compression check and know your way around an 03-04 to do some maintenance. I would question the condition of the paint though, it is black after all. With that amount of mileage, its gonna show

Gl, keep the fox add a Cobra later

tonga3

Established Member
Some good mustang shops around your area. Take the cobra to one of them and have a leak down done on it. I would get the cobra (I’m biased of course).

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I vote keep the fox. If it was maintained, then the mileage is fine on the Terminator. But damn that is a nice notch!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I think I might hold on to my fox body. It might be a better idea to sell it.

LOL, you are having a hard time with this decision. First sentence says keep it, next sentence says sell it.

It's your car do what you want, but a lot of us who had Fox bodies regret getting rid of them.

So, let me make this clear. We are NOT saying do not get THAT Cobra. We are saying DO NOT GET RID OF YOUR NOTCH................

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

cj428mach

Established Member
Unless you love cruising around listening to Vanilla Ice, I say drop the Fox.

But to answer your question terminators can make a lot of horse power and last a long time. There was a member that was around 120k with a TVS and 75 shot making around 800rwhp. Like anything it depends on maintenance and how often it gets beaten on.

Attachments

• Rollin' in my 5.0. - Imgur.gif
    Rollin' in my 5.0. - Imgur.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I feel like my 121k terminator engine is just getting broken in. I'm the original owner and maintain it religiously, but also drive it very hard. The biggest repair I've had was spark plug threads blowing out.

I wouldn't worry about that mileage op, as long as the compression and leak down tests check out. Best of luck with your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread