Opinions on bassani o/r midpipes... HELP!

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
let me first preface my question with a little background info... my truck has been given garage queen duties as of this past december when i picked up my s4 to dd. i will be keeping the L forever, and want to mod the thing minimally for the time bring. currently, i have all the basic bolt-ons (4#, JLP CAI, FTVB, Silver Bullet, boost byepass, oil breather, JDM tune, FRPP drop, etc) and have been given the opportunity to pick up a bassani o/r midpipe for a pretty sweet price. i'm pretty much set on it except for a few concerns...

1. performance loss? since im not running a built motor and/or pushing a ton of boost, will i lose backpressure going catless?

2. will the obscenely loud exhaust noise cover my fantastic blower whine?! i test drove an 03 cobra vert with a catless SLP exhaust, and could not hear the blower AT ALL. i loved how loud the thing was, but was a bit put off by the lack of intoxicating whine.

i've done a bunch of searching and realize that alot of people prefer running some sort of high-flow cats, but it seems as if most of those people are dd-ing their trucks. taking into account the fact that i barely drive the thing, and i want to get the most fun out of it when i do, as well as the fact that i will be getting the brand new in box bassani o/r mid for way less than half of the high-flow mid, should i take the plunge?

also, if anyone has a video of a similar setup (o/r midpipe and catback combo) under load (not just revving in a driveway), id really appreciate taking a look!

thanks in advance
- artie

SVT Knight

Established Member
ive got the bassani catback with bassani catted mids. Some days i wish it was louder. But ill wait till i can get the JLP comp R. And with a 6lber ported it screams. So i'd hate to muffle it with something raspy. my .02

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
ive got the bassani catback with bassani catted mids. Some days i wish it was louder. But ill wait till i can get the JLP comp R. And with a 6lber ported it screams. So i'd hate to muffle it with something raspy. my .02

i'd love to just spring for the comp R, but it's far too much coin for me to drop on the truck at this point. i'd really only go that route if i were to build the motor in the future, and even before i did that i would want to sort out the suspension (TVS, etc) first.

BlackL01

Established Member
I have them on mine along with the hearders and cat back. Yeah it's loud when I step on it but, I still can here the blower with the windows up or down.

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
is there a terrible smell level increase?

i went from stock cats to offroad bassani....it smells a bit more.

it is hella loud with my magnaflow catback, sometimes i wish it was a lil more tame. sounds like nascar when floord. it is harder to hear the blower but the whine is still there:beer:

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
I have a Bassani catback now with no cats but I have long tube headers. I cannot hear my supercharger at all with my built block. The exhaust is overwhelming over the supercharger whine. I am going with the JDM silverbullet catback. Bassani is fairly quiet at idle but really shines when you give it a good amount of gas.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Let's not forget it's gonna sound like a raspy wet fart under load. But some dont care as long as it's LOUD.

When i went catless i hated it. Got my highflow mids back in a week.

Users who are viewing this thread