Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Replace wall, build concrete wall and fill in level with garage

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Who care's the world is ending anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

96dreamer

Established Member
Looking for opinions on what direction to go with replacing a retaining wall and extending my driveway.

There is about a 90ft retaining wall that runs along my property line that has been deteriorating since I bought the house. I have been putting off replacing it but its just about completely gone so it's about time I do something. My original plan was replace with brick retaining wall, level the area by the garage door with the driveway and then rock in the driveway along the side of the garage down to where the fence gate is leaving it slopping towards the back yard. Pretty much the cheapest way to rebuilt and have it look decent

What I'm considering now is having a concrete wall put in continuing the foundation on the back of the house to level off all the way to the back of the house and fill it all in with gravel. The retaining wall would still be replaced with brick but have the ~5ft concrete wall intersect about half way up. The downside to this plan is I can't drive through to the back yard there anymore. I still have access on the other side but it is a steeper hill. It will also cost more. Not looking to concrete it all since I don't plan on being here forever and wont see as much roi.

This is looking down the driveway along the side of the garage. right in front of the jeep would get graded down level with where the truck is graveled or leveled to back where the fence is.
20210817_161204.jpg

upload_2021-8-17_17-4-59.jpeg

This is looking up from the back yard. The wall would go from left to right where the fence gate is. Ignore the temporary fence. Had to put something up to keep the dogs in and didn't want to set posts twice.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Personally I would do the cheapest route if you plan on leaving within 5-7 years assuming that option won't need redoing before you leave. I have really wanted to extend my RV pad now that I've gotten such a large trailer, but I have a hard time taking money from my land fund to dump into this house that I'm trying to move on from.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
That's not that big of a project, your first thought about a gravity wall is a good one, and depending on you- you could do it yourself. Other than brick I'd use a retaining wall (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pavesto...Concrete-Retaining-Wall-Block-81123/202636462) and if you want a bigger parking area- brick pavers could be put down, you need to get the underlayment right, but they'll last years. BTW, my father owned a brickyard for 60 years.

96dreamer

Established Member
Personally I would do the cheapest route if you plan on leaving within 5-7 years assuming that option won't need redoing before you leave. I have really wanted to extend my RV pad now that I've gotten such a large trailer, but I have a hard time taking money from my land fund to dump into this house that I'm trying to move on from.

That was led to my initial plan, I'd be surprised if I'm here another 5 years, Pending what the market does. Bricks for the retiaining wall are going to run about 4k before any other materials or labor.

That's not that big of a project, your first thought about a gravity wall is a good one, and depending on you- you could do it yourself. Other than brick I'd use a retaining wall (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pavesto...Concrete-Retaining-Wall-Block-81123/202636462) and if you want a bigger parking area- brick pavers could be put down, you need to get the underlayment right, but they'll last years. BTW, my father owned a brickyard for 60 years.

I've set up a few retaining walls just none this large. I would say it is well within my abilities. I was planning on a block like this, https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...ining-wall-block/1793966/p-1444441435104.htmk Toward the bottom of the wall it will be up over 4ft. I wanted to level it out just so I had a level spot to park the truck since the mustang and wifes car get the garage.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Our concrete company , makes what is called " Lego blocks .

2'x4'x8' ,with pegs like a Lego to connect and stack .
They are 8 foot long , so it covers a lot of ground .
They are also engineered to use as a retai ing wall .
Check with your local supplier .
I will see if I can find a link , for reference.
These Lego-like blocks let you build your own concrete walls | Block Moulds
Then gravel the rest .

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member

96dreamer

Established Member
I did not say it would be easy , UT 8t will never go anywhere either...lol
I briefly looked into these but decided they were super overkill for what I needed lol. They take a lot of the DIY cost savings out of it too. I also have a one lane bridge with a 90degree turn right before that makes big trucks/ equipment difficult to get to my house

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
How friendly are you with the neighbor? Would regrading the slope be a possibility? Then you could eliminate the need for a wall altogether

96dreamer

Established Member
I'm on good terms with him. He offered to throw some money towards the wall as well. I'm afraid of just grading with how much water comes off this hill, I could see it collapsing at some point. One of us would also lose a decent amount of space.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Those blocks can be moved and placed , with a mini excavator, that you can rent.
I have done a fair amount of these , and for drainage , I run drain rock and perf pipe along the base , back fill with 2 or 3 inch rock , or drain rock .
Because they can be stacked vertically , your neighbor will not lose much .
It is a win win for all .

Users who are viewing this thread