Opinions on enclosed trailers

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I have had my eye on enclosed trailers for quite some time now and the best deal I can find is Defender Cargo ($4k). The trailer MFG shows as Lark and I have heard of the brand before but never really any good or bad, I just know the name.

http://www.defendercargo.com/2018-defender-cargo-enclosed-cargo-trailers-K7If|OPd.html

I know this wont be as good as something brand new in the 10k range but I don't really mind minor fit and finish things, I just want a solid trailer. Will I regret spending $4k on this thing? should I look at a Haulmark for more? Opinions?

FYI - needs are as follows
20'
would like the V nose as you get a little extra space
I would rather have the side vents than the roof vent

big dad

Established Member
My first trailer back in 91 was a 20ft. Haulmark, I regret not getting a 24ft. because it gives you extra room for additional items plus a 20ft. is kind of cramped. With that said, additionally, you should mount a electric winch in the front part of the compartment, it makes it so much easier to load and unload a vehicle. My current trailer is a 28ft. stacker with a 5000lb. Harbor Freight winch with a remote control, nice unit.

There's a lot more that I could advise you on but this thread would take forever, so, PM me if you need to have any more help and we could exchange phone numbers and discuss it more openly. I hope this helps you out.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
My biggest thing is that I cannot justify spending $10k on a trailer I wont use that many times in a year. $4k I can.

Do you have any experience with Lark trailers?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Find a used Featherlite (preferably about 10 years old) and buy that. It'll cost you a bit more, but will last forever and pull much better. I mentioned the 10 year old thing because Featherlite was bought by Universal Trailer in about 2008 and the quality went downhill. My 2004 model is build better than a new one.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Find a used Featherlite (preferably about 10 years old) and buy that. It'll cost you a bit more, but will last forever and pull much better. I mentioned the 10 year old thing because Featherlite was bought by Universal Trailer in about 2008 and the quality went downhill. My 2004 model is build better than a new one.

So SID, how much for your trailer? lol

Appreciate it, I will look into an older one. The problem I have been seeing is the local used ones are used... very very used and abused. Oil stains, corners hit and crumpled in, you can see daylight through the ceiling. I am willing to travel a few states from AZ so I may expand my search to Cali, Nevada, NM, TX, etc.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 24' with cabinets in the front. "not a V-nose" That length is perfect for a car and It is usually a 2012 Mustang. My 20' Featherlite open trailer just is long enough to get a 66 Chevelle on without the back of the car hanging off the trailer.
Trust me, when you are crawling around on the floor tying down a car you will appreciate the extra 4 feet.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
So SID, how much for your trailer? lol

Appreciate it, I will look into an older one. The problem I have been seeing is the local used ones are used... very very used and abused. Oil stains, corners hit and crumpled in, you can see daylight through the ceiling. I am willing to travel a few states from AZ so I may expand my search to Cali, Nevada, NM, TX, etc.

Between $12,500 and $14,500, don't really remember though. However, mine is an option filled gooseneck. I had two Featherlites before and sold them both for more than I paid for them. They hold their value really well.

Blackoyote

Established Member
I can't imagine the quality and craftsmanship of a $4k 8x20 tandem is going to be great...I'd steer clear unless it has a really nice warranty and the place is close enough to your home that it won't be a big deal to drop off for warranty work.

Nukem1040

Established Member
I’m also learning and looking for a enclosed in Northern NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I have an American hauler, got the 20'v nose. bought it as a snowmobile trailer that I can use for other things. had a side door put in to make getting in and out of the race car easier. it pulls great but I should have bought the 24' as the 20' is real tight to get around the car or bikes

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I can't imagine the quality and craftsmanship of a $4k 8x20 tandem is going to be great...I'd steer clear unless it has a really nice warranty and the place is close enough to your home that it won't be a big deal to drop off for warranty work.

I don't expect amazing quality and most things I can fix myself but they are about 2000 miles give or take.

I’m also learning and looking for a enclosed in Northern NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your thread prompted me to ask as I was looking around as well.

big dad

Established Member
No experience with Lark but you'll be surprised once you get an enclosed trailer how many times you'll be using it and people will want to have you help them out. Remember, you get what you pay for, don't be a penny wise and a pound foolish.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
No experience with Lark but you'll be surprised once you get an enclosed trailer how many times you'll be using it and people will want to have you help them out. Remember, you get what you pay for, don't be a penny wise and a pound foolish.

I get what you're saying for sure. My philosophy on things is if its a luxury and I will use it all the time I will pay top dollar. If I don't use it much (such as a camper trailer for hunting, quad for hunting, enclosed trailer for a couple shows and track events a year) I will buy something cheaper if its minimal shortcuts used.

I wont be irritated with fit and finish things that I can fix and play with to make better. But if its cheaply constructed and 36" on center to cut costs I will pass. Obviously I would like to see the quality of the welds as that is a concern of mine. But like I said the fit and finish I fully expect to be crap, the plan is to redo the inside the way I want it anyhow.

streetassasin

Welcome to Gaptown, TX
Established Member
I have a 2017 20' lark, I havent used it on my vette yet but it pulled my wifes hyundai just fine, think I paid $5100 for it

gofast15

Established Member
get 24' and 5200lb upgraded axles . 24' trailer weights around 3500lb so you get left with 3500lb cargo only if you have standard axles

gofast15

Established Member
I paid $5900 for mine few weeks ago. 24' trailer with 2 upgrades only [ 5200lb axles and aluminium roof ]

20180111_125107.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread