Opinions on HX upgrade: Will it really make much different if already heat soaked?

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but wanting to know if it's worth the efforts. I didn't see much improvement on IAT2's on my 03 cobra with a dual pass but that was an Eaton too. Currently on a pretty stock 2012 with just 2.5", intake and 93 tune. I'm trying to stay away from going nuts like I have on past cars and really would like to at least grow into the power I have to maximize it. I may hit a few drag strips a year at most; mostly it is a street weekend fun car.

What I'm considering installing is a triple pass HX, 170 thermostat, and larger coolant tank (Which I already have), and assume I'll need to have VMP tweak tune for fan settings. Will these changes be noticeable with a ported Eaton in the dead of summer or more to complement a better blower. I know the thermostat isn't part of the HX system, but assume this is always a worthwhile upgrade.

Long term I'd consider a 2.3 with 93 octane; no race gas or E85 (hard to find in my parts). I know I'm leaving some power on the table as I also have no interest in long tubes/mid pipe.

Thanks all!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I fought the good fight Dave and just finally came to the realization that cooling the M122 on top of a 5.4 is a bigger challenge than cooling the M112 on top of a 4.6. Pretty much a necessity to go after market HE with dual fans. The thermostat and IC tank will help a bit, but the dual fan HE is the difference maker. Arguably even more important with the M122 than with an aftermarket supercharger. I run the VMP dual fan and it's been a big help at the drag strip.

merkyworks

Established Member
The triple pass with dual fans will make a huge difference at keeping temps manageable even after numerous WOT pulls.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Big problem with the 3x cooler is the inlet and outlet diameters. While the o.d. of the inlet and outlet is .75", the i.d. is only .48". I understand the purpose of the reinforcement tubes in the inlet and outlet, but they are a restriction to coolant flow. I'd look for a way to open those up. I made a by-pass around the degas tank when I installed the 13-14 intercooler pump. I'm going to be doing a write-up on that install in the near future.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Awesome and thank you all for the insight. Sounds like I should see if Catmonkey does a write up! The 13-14 pump is a Pierburg I assume and why the cost is high. Sounds like the 13-14 pump/fan is a marked improvement?

Totalpkg

Established Member
Cleveland,OH, USA or Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes, you need to install a restrictor before the overflow tank or the coolant will foam. Do a search for a 13/14 he pump. I believe Tob did a write up on the upgrade. I'm getting ready to do the Steeda triple pass HE, 13/14 fan and pump and 3x tank. I will try to do a write video but no guarantees.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I installed the VMP triple pass and it keeps the temps within 30 degrees of each other. That is iat1 and iat2. Install was sort of tricky but I have a 08 and it is tight. Probably one of the best things to keep things cool.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
You could always try a Killer Chiller. Same money. Vastly superior cooling.

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
J2fab currently is doing my big gun intercooler and heat exchanger. I should have it back this week.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Saw this on another thread. Opens up the restriction at the intercooler. I'm thinking of doing this next winter.
http://j2fabrication.com/product/gt500-flow-mod/
Has anybody tried this?
I thought about it, but ended up opening up the stock tubes from .55" to .63". While not a big increase in i.d. it equates to 30% more area. There are other culprits in the intercooler system that serve as a flow restriction. I've got a detailed write up I will be posted in the How To section when I get some time, and seeks out these other flow impediments along with an install of the Pierburg pump. Doing this doesn't involve removing the intake manifold which is a fairly difficult thing to do.

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Ended up pulling the trigger on the VMP triple pass and thermostat. Was hoping to do the 13-14 upgrades along with the other recommendations, but the reality is I don't see myself having the time to do it all. So will be leaving some flow/better cooling on the table, but this should help with the inlet temps as is. Wish there was a nice turn key kit for all the better parts to do it all the way.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Big problem with the 3x cooler is the inlet and outlet diameters. While the o.d. of the inlet and outlet is .75", the i.d. is only .48". I understand the purpose of the reinforcement tubes in the inlet and outlet, but they are a restriction to coolant flow. I'd look for a way to open those up. I made a by-pass around the degas tank when I installed the 13-14 intercooler pump. I'm going to be doing a write-up on that install in the near future.

When you say the cooler, I am assuming you mean the cooler and not the tank, correct?

Thank you as always!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I mis-typed. I meant the 3x degas reservoir tank. I'm referring to the degas tank. The inlet and outlet is necked way down on the 3x coolant reservoir and it's even worse on the OEM degas tank based on my measurements. Doing a by-pass will allow you to use it without hogging out the inlet and outlet. I've been dragging my feet on what I did with mine, but I will try to post that write up in the How-To section by the end of the week.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Thanks Catmonkey. That wouldn't be bad to do in that case. I'm waiting for a tune update which I'm assuming is really only going to be adjusted for fan on/off speeds as the tune should adjust whether or not a fanned HE is present. Or perhaps the thermostat doesn't matter and most tunes adjust fan speeds either way?

Imatk

Established Member
I ran the 3x tank but twice it deformed on the top. So I've gone back to my stock tank.

I think I probably do get more heat soak now but it's not enough that I worry with it.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Well that’s not encouraging. I ran both metal tanks on my 03 Cobra but preferred the stock look in old age lol. Hence going with the 3x. Looks like a factory Ford part so kinda surprised it would be affected especially since it’s not engine coolant.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks Catmonkey. That wouldn't be bad to do in that case. I'm waiting for a tune update which I'm assuming is really only going to be adjusted for fan on/off speeds as the tune should adjust whether or not a fanned HE is present. Or perhaps the thermostat doesn't matter and most tunes adjust fan speeds either way?
Most heat exchanger fans have a trigger wire that is connected to the intercooler pump. When the pump is energized, the contact wire triggers a relay to the fans. Most tuners turn that setting for the pump a lot lower than stock. It really is a moot issue as I find no matter how cold it is outside, the intercooler pump is going to cycle even if set at 70*. If the pumps not running, there's noting to cool down the intake, so it will eventually cycle. I don't know why some people want to put these on switches, unless you want them to run in the pits. Just to turn the fans when off when you're cruising down the highway could lead to disaster if you forget to turn them back on. I'd rather replace a fan than an engine.

Users who are viewing this thread