Opinions on new DD

jrandy

Established Member
Well, the time is coming where I might be upgrading my daily. I have a 2018 Charger Scatpack optioned out with the dynamics package (6 piston brembos & 9.5" rims) for right around $40k.

However, I know there are quite a few options in that price range, so I figured I'd open it up to discussion to make sure I didn't overlook another possibility.

Requirements:
  • 4 door
  • performance oriented
  • have aftermarket
  • $40k ballpark
  • 2015/6 or newer

Recon

Established Member
SHO.
Stay away from Europe unless you have deep pockets or sell it once the warranty runs out immediately.

Pick your poison.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Clearly mpg is not a big thing for you so i say get the charger. What about a SRT 8

jrandy

Established Member
Chevy SS would get my vote.

They look too plain for me.

Clearly mpg is not a big thing for you so i say get the charger. What about a SRT 8

The price difference doesn't make sense to me IMO. The interior only seems marginally nicer and the adjustable suspension isn't needed.

SHO.
Stay away from Europe unless you have deep pockets or sell it once the warranty runs out immediately.

Pick your poison.

Yea, I don't think I want to go European.

Recon

Established Member
Yea, I don't think I want to go European.

The SHO seems like it would be the perfect candidate for you, it fits your requirements. The TT eco boost and AWD will make it a fun car to say the least. It doesn’t take much to make them fast and they aren’t a pain to maintain.
It’s actually one of the few modern fords that I actually like.

Pick your poison.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Wait, its a 2018 and you already want a new car? A relevant question for you is what don't you like about your current car?

jrandy

Established Member
Wait, its a 2018 and you already want a new car? A relevant question for you is what don't you like about your current car?

Sorry, it's worded weirdly. My friend is a finance manager at a dealer and I have a 2018 Charger specced out and ready to order.

My current DD is a 2014 Focus that I can't stand.

Blown 89

Established Member
If you can find one in your price range I'd do this all day long. I had the opportunity to thrash a manual 4 door version and it was absolutely brilliant. Blue w/ black carbon fiber and black wheels = pure sex. It's so good I consider selling my wagon to get it every time I drive by the dealer.

If not the ATS-V then I'd go with the Chevy SS.

MFE

Established Member
I just bought a 2016 Chevy SS. It checks all your boxes except the one you didn't list in the OP which is "must not look plain". They got better about that for the 16-17 models but yeah, nobody knows WTF it is, which can work both ways LOL. It hauls ass pretty good, quiets right down and soaks up the miles when you want to chill, and stops and handles better than it has a right to for anything its size.

I love everything about it except the factory stereo, which is better suited for a Nissan Versa than for a luxo/sport sedan that stickered for $50k.

10C10528-B4D3-4FBB-A35A-29D0094279BC.jpeg

jrandy

Established Member
If you can find one in your price range I'd do this all day long. I had the opportunity to thrash a manual 4 door version and it was absolutely brilliant. Blue w/ black carbon fiber and black wheels = pure sex. It's so good I consider selling my wagon to get it every time I drive by the dealer.

If not the ATS-V then I'd go with the Chevy SS.

Yea, I didn't even realize you could get one for around that price. I'll definitely have to check them out.

New Charger 6.4L with Dynamics package or used Hellcat.

I think the scatpack with dynamics is still my front runner.

Blown 89

Established Member
Yea, I didn't even realize you could get one for around that price. I'll definitely have to check them out.
I didn't realize you could either. New msrp is $61k. It looks like there are a ton at that $40k mark with 30k miles. It's worth test driving a manual if you can find one. They're brilliant cars

Users who are viewing this thread