O'Reilly's lost me forever as a costumer

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I was actually at orielys today. I took my used oil and and was going to get some new wipers and oil filters for my next round of oil changes (plus I don't like to look like a cheap ass who brings in used oil but doesn't buy anything).

Guy took my oil and I went to the shelf to get some filters and WHOA was j shocked when they were just bare. Hardly any filters and than I looked at the oil and it was bare too.

I did however find the wipers and bought them and made a comment to the guy about the out of stock of things. He told me he was just fed up of the phone ringing of people asking if they had stuff in stock or not.

It's getting bad out there. Car batteries and tires I have heard are even worse of difficult to get.

Sent from my SM-G991U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Forever is a long time. O’rielleys is a fairly decent parts store otherwise as far as parts stores go..
Yep, forever is a long time, but I'm not here for a long time. I simply don't entertain ignorance on a business level. Our community has so may other options available.

Napa

Napa truck (that I helped build)

Carquest distribution center and sales. They ride trikes to get your parts the place is so big.

Three Autozones

Three Advance auto

Pep boys

All the major car and truck brands dealers

Even an Amazon distribution center, with Amazon delivery people.

Battery Mart

Costco

3 Walmarts

Rural king (for batteries and bulk fluids)

They're the small new kid in town. I welcomed the arrival and participated. They screwed up with ridged policy. Guess what! I have policy too! I have the coin and choices. I wasn't in a position of needing anything. The least they could have done is honor the 20% discount for another purchase after I took the time to register and take the time to deal with the unfulfilled order.

Last edited:

Machdup1

Established Member
So you are mad and will not do business with them because they have supply chain issues, were honest with you, gave you realistic expectations, gave you your money back, but won’t leave unearned revenue on their books?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You're boycotting O'Reilly's because they are out of stock in your oil?

Taking your ball and going home?

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
In the automotive aftermarket

What's going on is not specific to O'Reilly. You could've ordered it from elsewhere, and dealt with the same scenario. Being a retail customer as well, most E-commerce departments won't hold back orders. Especially when products are unpredictable. Your oil could be there in a week or a year, they don't know. But if they hold it for you, and two months down the road you call up bitching about it, they know they'll have to spot you freebies or something. Better to just refund and move on.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Yep, forever is a long time, but I'm not here for a long time. I simply don't entertain ignorance on a business level. Our community has so may other options available.

Napa

Napa truck (that I helped build)

Carquest distribution center and sales. They ride trikes to get your parts the place is so big.

Three Autozones

Three Advance auto

Pep boys

All the major car and truck brands dealers

Even an Amazon distribution center, with Amazon delivery people.

Battery Mart

Costco

3 Walmarts

Rural king (for batteries and bulk fluids)

They're the small new kid in town. I welcomed the arrival and participated. They screwed up with ridged policy. Guess what! I have policy too! I have the coin and choices. I wasn't in a position of needing anything. The least they could have done is honor the 20% discount for another purchase after I took the time to register and take the time to deal with the unfulfilled order.
Wow. I mistakenly thought your town was small. I don’t have near your options without a drive.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Wow. I mistakenly thought your town was small. I don’t have near your options without a drive.
You weren't mistaken. Town population of 3000. County population under 15000. I'm 10-20 minutes from everything I listed. I am in the country. Back yard view I can see Wva mountains front view Appalachian trail mountains.
20211202_101549.jpeg
20211202_101614.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Cute little mountains you have there.

As far as parts stores go, I usually just go to the most convenient store to my current location. I haven't had any experiences, good or bad, that stand out from the rest enough to have any loyalty.

96dreamer

Established Member
I compare the main three, Autozone, O'reily, Advance, on price with discounts before buying anything and usually go to the cheapest/in stock. I do however steer clear from Advance on lifetime warranty items. Apparently their "lifetime" warranty only covers 1 replacement then you are on your own. Got screwed on an alternator on my jeep with that bs.

MFE

Established Member
I was in an automotive aftermarketing program and our professor that had been in the business for eons always said “I’ve never seen money come out of the phone so let it ring”

In this particular setting he’s correct
OTOH, when I worked closely with Western Auto/Parts America (since absorbed by Advance Auto), they were trained to pick up the phone no matter what, because the walk-in customer was already there but an un-answered call was a lost opportunity. That's a company run by bean-counters for you.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
EVERYONE needs to give business's a big ol' break right now.

Some people think they know how bad the supply chain issues are, but unless you deal with it- you probably don't have a clue.

I work in wholesale housing and currently can't guarantee price, carpet color, siding color, type of shingles, build dates, appliances, or any brands/types of electrical/plumbing fixtures.

People have had houses on order for 8 months and I can't tell them the final cost or what "substitutions" will be made until the day it starts production.

"I'm sorry you ordered your house with stainless steel appliances and a $3k French door counter depth fridge. Best I can do right now is a 18CuFt black over and under. If you don't want that- I can omit it, but good luck finding one on your own. Oh, and by the way. It just went up 10% over what I guesstimated 3 weeks ago."

Take your oil and GTFO.

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
EVERYONE needs to give business's a big ol' break right now.

Some people think they know how bad the supply chain issues are, but unless you deal with it- you probably don't have a clue.

I work in wholesale housing and currently can't guarantee price, carpet color, siding color, type of shingles, build dates, appliances, or any brands/types of electrical/plumbing fixtures.

People have had houses on order for 8 months and I can't tell them the final cost or what "substitutions" will be made until the day it starts production.

"I'm sorry you ordered your house with stainless steel appliances and a $3k French door counter depth fridge. Best I can do right now is a 18CuFt black over and under. If you don't want that- I can omit it, but good luck finding one on your own. Oh, and by the way. It just went up 10% over what I guesstimated 3 weeks ago."

Take your oil and GTFO.

I'm a contractor. I know all about supply chain issues. However, I order all types of materials, tools, hardware etc. The majority of websites we frequent automatically tell you if its available or out of stock. It really isn't rocket science to correlate sales with stock, unless you have thieves working for you.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
That’s the opposite for automotive service departments. The phone is where you will make the most money.
thats why I said in this particular setting.
OTOH, when I worked closely with Western Auto/Parts America (since absorbed by Advance Auto), they were trained to pick up the phone no matter what, because the walk-in customer was already there but an un-answered call was a lost opportunity. That's a company run by bean-counters for you.

yuuup. At least pick up the phone "can you hold please", check out the person in store then take a call. If you're gonna sit there and take 10 calls in a row while I stand there, I'm leaving.

quad

Established Member
Covid has changed how we do business both locally and through e-commerce, and how companies view us as customers. It used to be "customer first" and "service first" but now we're expected to accept mediocre service. I will get worse before it ever gets better IMO.
I noticed that too. Some employees are now rude or irritable. I don’t blame them though for having to put up with the masks. I’m glad I am not in that position!

quad

Established Member
O'Reilly's has just entered our community with multiple stores already and stores being built.
A good member here suggested the 20% CYBER Monday deal of 20% off. So I muddled though the registration order 12 qts and receive just 1 quart. So now I have to contact them and give the old WTF. They say they don't have any anywhere and they don't know when they will get any. We say that's ok, just tell us when you have it and either send it or we'll pick it up in the store. Nope, we have to refund your money, except for the one qt.

Just another reason I like brick and mortar stores. I'm not pissed just wanted to share how your time has no value in cyberspace transactions.
You wear costumes to O'Reilly's? :p

My94GT

Established Member
So they didn’t have the oil and had no ETA when more will arrive. You expect them to just hold your money long term? Majority of customers would bitch about not getting a refund right away.

I see zero issues here.

Users who are viewing this thread