OTA pipe worth the $$

GS357

Established Member
Are the over the axle pipes worth the price to remove the resonators and the flat spot on the pipe above the axle? I could have the resonators removed for about $50 but would still have the flat section of pipe above the axle.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I'm making 740+ WHP and I still have the stock OA pipe. I did replace the stock resonators with larger ones. Why do you want to ditch the resonators? They don't hurt power below 650ish and they help keep the rasp down...

GS357

Established Member
I thought the two restrictions that hurt power was the resonators and the flat pipe above the axle. I have heard some sound clips with an OR X/H, resonators removed, and some GT500 mufflers that sounded great. I plan to do a TVS later this year so was trying to get a decent free flowing exhaust. I plan to keep the stock headers. Thanks for the replies.

vortecd

Established Member
Real world numbers would be better then guessing. I would like to see someone change just the pipes and do a before after test on the dyno. Let's say a stockish car and a power adder car. I too was looking at them and have not found any numbers to say if they are worth any power. 10 hp or more would be worth the money to me

I was at Alternative Auto last week and Lido sure likes his resonators and flowmasters

D98GT

Established Member
Someone send me some and I will test them before/after on a 800 hp mustangdyno setup haha.

I have often thought about them but the price is pretty high for them.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Didn't AED do a before and after, with stock versus JPC and picked up like 7whp? Not a lot, but on a bolt on car $250 for 7whp is a lot.

On a turbo car, they're restrictive. I would say pretty much in any case they're restrictive unless you're stock.

vortecd

Established Member
Yes, yes he does... I was up there last sat going over data logs. You should come over to Milan on May 30th for No ET.

Probably won't make it. Really not into going to the track and not being able to see the times the cars ran for comparison

vortecd

Established Member
On a turbo car, they're restrictive. I would say pretty much in any case they're restrictive unless you're stock.

I would agree with the dents in the stock pipes above the axle killing power but again we are just assuming without actual testing.

Users who are viewing this thread