other gauge mounting options

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
has anyone thought of any creative and low key mounting options for gauges? I already have a triple A pillar gauge pod and I don't want my interior to look any more like a cockpit than it already does.

center console? glove box? Under the dash somewhere?

bakers4v4_6

Established Member
Not sure what gauges you have but I have my nitrous gauge and switches for the bottle heater ,secondary tune, arming switch and future line lock switch in the center console...I like it!! alot less cluttered

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
What else do you need to monitor? How much are you going to look at it?

I have an A pillar triple gauge pod. When I first installed it, I used a matching set of Ultra Lites for Fuel Pressure, Boost, and Oil Pressure.

I sacrificed the oil pressure gauge in the bottom opening for an AEM Wideband Failsafe gauge.

Being that the factory oil pressure is a "dummy gauge" for all intents and purposes, I wanted to keep my auto meter oil pressure gauge somewhere. After all, the sending unit is already wired and it's easy to move anywhere in the car.

I was thinking of making a bracket to fit 2 gauges underneath the center armrest using the existing oil pressure gauge and an interceptor scan gauge. That way, I can peek at them quickly without them being in my face or cluttering up my dash any more than it already is.

I'm in no hurry though. I'm sure someone will come out with a scan gauge that's nicer than the aeroforce interceptor (which is already a very nice piece in its own right)

I know Speed of Sound makes a switch plate that holds a single gauge in the cupholder part of the center console, but unfortunately they don't fit the pre-01 cars.

bakers4v4_6

Established Member
I have an A pillar triple gauge pod. When I first installed it, I used a matching set of Ultra Lites for Fuel Pressure, Boost, and Oil Pressure.

I sacrificed the oil pressure gauge in the bottom opening for an AEM Wideband Failsafe gauge.

Being that the factory oil pressure is a "dummy gauge" for all intents and purposes, I wanted to keep my auto meter oil pressure gauge somewhere. After all, the sending unit is already wired and it's easy to move anywhere in the car.

I was thinking of making a bracket to fit 2 gauges underneath the center armrest using the existing oil pressure gauge and an interceptor scan gauge. That way, I can peek at them quickly without them being in my face or cluttering up my dash any more than it already is.

I'm in no hurry though. I'm sure someone will come out with a scan gauge that's nicer than the aeroforce interceptor (which is already a very nice piece in its own right)

I know Speed of Sound makes a switch plate that holds a single gauge in the cupholder part of the center console, but unfortunately they don't fit the pre-01 cars.

what do u mean that dont fit pre 01 cars? they make one exact for pre 01 cars
:shrug:

OW99

Established Member
I used to have a gauge mounted under the dash by the fuse box. You would not see it unless you looked for it.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I used to have a gauge mounted under the dash by the fuse box. You would not see it unless you looked for it.

Good call. For the time being, I mounted my oil pressure gauge under the dash by the OBDII connector using a bendable bracket. A gauge cup will be a good idea if I decide to keep it in that location.

What's really nice about it is that you can see the gauge through the bottom right opening in the steering wheel. It's in the same line of sight as where the keys hang down from the ignition.

The center console for 94-00 cars is different than 01-04 cars. It has a revised cup holder that sits further back.

What I'd really like to do is get an OBD II interface that has a VGA video output that projects a digital dash on a screen. You could use the video input in an aftermarket head unit, or even a rear-view mirror mounted screen. You could really get creative with it.

I think I'm just gonna fabricate a bracket to mount a couple gauges in the center console underneath the armrest for concealment.

I like the steering column pod and the factory gauge bezel pod. The piece that mounts 2 gauges on either side of the factory cluster is nice and clean..

Im waiting for someone to come out with something a little bit nicer than the aero force interceptor. Maybe version 2.0? But like I was saying before, they need to get creative. Using a regular size gauge is nice because you can mount them the same way any other gauge would be mounted. But there is only so much screen area. They need to make a DIN size rectangular gauge that fits in an empty radio opening. It has much more space to display data than 3 round gauges in the same size opening.

Just rambling off thoughts.

OW99

Established Member
Another cool thing would be to get an itsx tuner so you can monitor stuff with your iPhone.

Or you can just wire up alarms for when oil pressure drops to low or something along those lines.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Those are great. I had the PLX kiwi wifi interface to use with my old iPhone 3G a few years ago. The applications themselves that displayed the data were in their infancy and there was a limited selection of apps, limited compatibility, and basic gauge/data readouts. The data/dash layout on some of the apps had limited customization options and will only show 4 or 5 PID's at once. My favorite at the time was Rev2 which had a single center gauge and showed extra data in each of the 4 corners. FuzzyCar was also OK.. It displayed all the PID's in a single screen, but had a slower refresh time and you had to scroll up and down to see what you wanted. DashCommand flat out sucked at the time.

But it was really neat at the time. I even used a clip case to mount my iPhone on the sunvisor for good visibility without getting in the way.

They have come a long way since then. And they make similar iPad apps that take advantage of the larger screen. But they still have a way to come.

I'll probably end up going this route again. PLX came out with a revised OBD II interface and it is expandable to gather additional data not supported with the factory OBDII port using external sending units and analog outputs from gauges or dataloggers.

For example, the 11-up coyote cars come from the factory with wideband 02 sensors and will display the true air fuel ratio as a PID, whereas the earlier cars only show narrowband "fuel trims" (still important). Also, cars such as the 03 cobras and Shelby's might have a factory PID for boost, but all the other cars don't.

Since i can't get the wideband air fuel and boost data through the factory computer, I can use sending units to pipe that data through the interface. As luck would have it, my AEM Wideband Failsafe gauge has analog 0-5v outputs for both wideband and boost which can be connected to the PLX unit and displayed on the app. I can also tap into the sending units for my fuel pressure and oil pressure gauges to display that data as well. (I don't think there's a PID for fuel pressure or oil pressure on my car either.).

It would be great to display all the data from my analog gauges on a single screen in digital format addition to the factory PID's. And it would give me the ability to mount my gauges in a more discrete location.

I'll probably end up getting the new PLX Kiwi interface and an old iPod touch to keep in the car. I'll check out the apps to see if they've been updated much in the past few years.

You're right, that's probably the best solution.

The nicest thing is being able to see intake air temps! Standalone IAT gauges are not cheap.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Speed of Sound 2005+ Ford Mustang Cup Holder Switch Panels

yes I understand there different but they make it for both pre and post 01.... Unless your saying it wont work for you guess Im confused eithere way good luck

Well I'll be damned! Last time I checked their site, I only saw the center console gauge plate for the 01+ cars (and the 94-98 cars that had an ashtray instead of the cup holder). I always thought the 99-00 cars were a bastard child in that regard. You learn something new every day I guess!

Users who are viewing this thread