Ouch. Bee sting on the head.

bobh

Not so Senior SVT Poster
Established Member
So I go out front and grab the hose to water a couple of bushes and see this new hole in the ground. Hmm, more yellowjackets? No activity around so I stick the hose down it and turn on the water.

A couple minutes later I'm watering with another hose about 30 ft away and get stung under the hair about 3 inches above the ear. Hurts like hell. Bas-turds. This is war. :bash: Tonight is time to break out the gasoline and have some pyrotechnics. I have at least two underground nests in the yard.

Last time I did this I got myself fully covered including gloves and even my helmet when I gassed 'em. What I need is a flamethrower with a ten ft reach. Anybody make those? LOL

Street Racer

Established Member
Ouch I bet that does hurt! Are you just pouring gas in the hole or are you lighting it?

:burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :uh oh:

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
Originally posted by Street Racer
Ouch I bet that does hurt! Are you just pouring gas in the hole or are you lighting it?

:burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :uh oh:

Just be sure that the nest isn't nestled up next to a gas line.:uh oh:

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
Those holes in the ground are caused by Yellow Jackets?!

Those things are HUGE!! I had this one hole that came up every year and it was huge! I finnaly took a fire cracker stuck it in the hole ( was totally clueless on what the hole was for, I thought it was an ant hole ) and blew a bigger hole in the ground :D

A few days later I see a huge wasp looking thing flying around, I took a small cage ( used for my very small fish ) and traped it. I then placed a fire cracker in the cage and blew that sucker up.

Ever since then. No more big waspy looking things. I thought they were mutant bees or something.

thehyena

Resident DSMer
Established Member
Originally posted by peterjmc
Those holes in the ground are caused by Yellow Jackets?!

Those things are HUGE!! I had this one hole that came up every year and it was huge! I finnaly took a fire cracker stuck it in the hole ( was totally clueless on what the hole was for, I thought it was an ant hole ) and blew a bigger hole in the ground :D

A few days later I see a huge wasp looking thing flying around, I took a small cage ( used for my very small fish ) and traped it. I then placed a fire cracker in the cage and blew that sucker up.

Ever since then. No more big waspy looking things. I thought they were mutant bees or something.
those are cicada killer wasps, not yellow jackets. yellow jackets are the size of bumble bee's and they're little bastards. cicada killer wasps will kill you in 3 stings

DOHC32VMark8

Established Member
Thats what those things are called? I had those around my house a few years ago, they were like 2'' long, and me and my dad used them as target practice with bb guns and paintball guns. I got stung once too, on the side of my arm, swelled up the size of golf ball and hurt like a mf'er. Took a week for the swelling to go down. I've also seen yellow jacket things that are white and black and look friggin nasty, can anyone tell me what they are??

bobh

Not so Senior SVT Poster
Established Member
They're called yellowjackets around here. And I've had multiple stinks from them before and still here typing. LOL
Your wasp
CK10_72s.jpg

My yellowjacket
yellowjackets.jpg

Anyway, I've pretty well flooded the hole in the front yard. And, yeah, it'd be a good idea to call the gas company before nuking that hole. Damn, I don't wanna show up on some Darwin Award list.

Yes, after tossing in the gasoline I throw in a match. Great fun to watch after dark.

thehyena

Resident DSMer
Established Member
Originally posted by DOHC32VMark8
Thats what those things are called? I had those around my house a few years ago, they were like 2'' long, and me and my dad used them as target practice with bb guns and paintball guns. I got stung once too, on the side of my arm, swelled up the size of golf ball and hurt like a mf'er. Took a week for the swelling to go down. I've also seen yellow jacket things that are white and black and look friggin nasty, can anyone tell me what they are??
white faced hornets.... another nasty breed of hate

thehyena

Resident DSMer
Established Member
Originally posted by bobh
They're called yellowjackets around here. And I've had multiple stinks from them before and still here typing. LOL
Your wasp
CK10_72s.jpg

My yellowjacket
yellowjackets.jpg

Anyway, I've pretty well flooded the hole in the front yard. And, yeah, it'd be a good idea to call the gas company before nuking that hole. Damn, I don't wanna show up on some Darwin Award list.

Yes, after tossing in the gasoline I throw in a match. Great fun to watch after dark.
damn, multiple did you get dizzy or anything because that's pretty amazing

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
One thing I learned (the hard way): when using a can of wasp spray to kill a nest of hornets, have TWO cans ready, and be sure they both work. I started to spray once, and just as the whole hive came boiling out the spray can quit! Fastest I ever ran!

Also got attacked by a nest of yellow jackets while mowing. The whole hive chased me 1/4 mile and I vaulted a 6-foot chain link fence and dived into a swimming pool.

Any of the buggers can kill you IF you have an allergic reaction. Some people do, others don't. And some get moree allergic each time they get stung.

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
Originally posted by harry gilbert
One thing I learned (the hard way): when using a can of wasp spray to kill a nest of hornets, have TWO cans ready, and be sure they both work. I started to spray once, and just as the whole hive came boiling out the spray can quit! Fastest I ever ran!

Also got attacked by a nest of yellow jackets while mowing. The whole hive chased me 1/4 mile and I vaulted a 6-foot chain link fence and dived into a swimming pool.

Any of the buggers can kill you IF you have an allergic reaction. Some people do, others don't. And some get moree allergic each time they get stung.

A can of WD-40 works for me! What you need to do is spray the surrounding air first, and work your way to the center of the nest. I ran out of bee killer yesterday and had to resort to air intake cleaner to kill a nest in my backyard!

nj7703

Established Member
I have them as well, but i am allergic to them. Our 1st frost should be very soon, that should "off" most of them, keep them from flying at me. I bought some raid last time, sprayed it into the hole, killed them off as they "slept" at 1st light when it was still 45 or so. The nest undergroud was the size of a football.

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
You should have just plugged a vacum up to the hole! It would be sweeter if you had one of those bagless vacum cleaners and you could watch them twirl around in the container.

I am so evil...:fm:

Users who are viewing this thread