OUCH....Death of a DSS Level 5 halfshaft

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Rear suspension mods:
DSS Level 5 Halfshafts (Ones that use the Stock Ford Inner CV's)
Detroit Locker Differential
Ford Racing 3.73 gears
QA1 Double-Adjustable Shocks
Full Tilt Boogie Complete IRS Bushing Kit part # FT5001
IRS Bumpsteer kit with upgraded toe links part # FT1800
Tires are MT DR's 315/35/17s at 28 psi here on the street

Everything worked as it should except that Stock Inner CV. So if you are looking at level 5s I would suggest the upgraded chromoly inner CV's.

Here is the vid. Forward to 7:14 for the breakage. Hurts a little to watch. The 69 Camaro I am lined up next to is TT at this time running 8 psi making over 700 RWHP. At 18 psi it makes 1100 RWHP. Halfshaft wasn't up to the task. Suprised it was from a slow roll that it went on me. Didn't realize it broke initially, just thought the car was spinning and would eventually hook. Well it was spinning haha, the left wheel that is being the only wheel receiving power after the right one broke.
YouTube - ‪Carlsbad Car Cruise to HRE Wheels Open House 2011‬‏

Get on the car a couple of times at 2:22, 4:58, 6:12, and 6:46 as well. Camera car is a new 5.0. Car was hooking good, so I think the suspension setup is pretty good, just need to work through the weak links.

Will try and get some pics of damage after I get things apart this weekend hopefully.

Anyway to just get the chromoly inner CV's from DSS without having to buy all new halfshafts? If they require buying new halfshafts, going to go with the pro level halfshafts. If that doesn't cut it, then bye bye IRS.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
Out of the 2 03 Cobras Ive owned, both of them received an SRA swap. Never broke the stock Mach 1 solid I had in my first Cobra.(Ported & Spray Car)

I have a built 98 SRA in my current 03. 31 spline etc, girdle, control arms. Expecting it to take over 1,000rwhp without it breaking.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Out of the 2 03 Cobras Ive owned, both of them received an SRA swap. Never broke the stock Mach 1 solid I had in my first Cobra.(Ported & Spray Car)

I have a built 98 SRA in my current 03. 31 spline etc, girdle, control arms. Expecting it to take over 1,000rwhp without it breaking.

I hear you man. If I could go back and do it again, I would have just did the swap when I was doing everything else on the car around 2 years ago when the project began. I have put a lot into keeping the IRS. Bruce and Jimmysidecar should give me props for trying and keeping it.:lol: I'll get things apart back there though and evaluate. If it's just the inner CV or a halfshaft Ill just upgrade those. If there are bigger problems, then maybe I'll have a lot of IRS parts for sale. I think it is localized to that halfshaft though, since the car actually was able to drive somewhat after the fact.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
Anyway to just get the chromoly inner CV's from DSS without having to buy all new halfshafts? If they require buying new halfshafts, going to go with the pro level halfshafts. If that doesn't cut it, then bye bye IRS.

yes you can just buy the inners only. they are $400 per side. it might be a broken halfshaft though. i broke my level 5 axle right at the cv, so untill i took it appart i thought it was a broke inner cv. heres a pic of what happened to mine

bokenaxle1.jpg

Last edited:

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
SRA swap and be done.. i bought my car and started modding.. the wheel hop was enough for me to swap! now i have a fully built sra, and no wheel hop.. its the best mod ive done so far.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
900 HP to the wheels they say. Anyone know how they came up with that number? How did they get tested. They said this back in 2004 when I bought my level 5's. Who was making 900 RWHP in a Terminator back in 2004, or even now really. Not too may 900RWHP Terminators out there and even if I can think of one I don't think it still has an IRS.

Last edited:

04cobrawhine

Established Member
900 HP to the wheels they say. Anyone know how they came up with that number? How did they get tested. They said this back in 2004 when I bought my level 5's. Who was making 900 RWHP in a Terminator back in 2004, or even now really. Not too may 900RWHP Terminators out there and even if I can think of one I don't think it still has an IRS.

mine makes 1012 on c16. obviously i still have the irs. however the picture about shows what happens with that much hp

Jefe

Established Member
Ahh that sucks. Just got it back together too. Cool vid thanks

mine makes 1012 on c16. obviously i still have the irs. however the picture about shows what happens with that much hp

:eek: Vids please

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member

my friend Jay Knott (ENGCON) was doing most of the testing in his built KB car for DSS

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member

How much time does it spend with that set up. What power level does the car typically see. And the most important question I have is...what halfshafts do you run now?:burnout: Probably would be more accurate to ask how much torque the halfshafts can take.

Last edited:

04cobrawhine

Established Member
Ahh that sucks. Just got it back together too. Cool vid thanks

:eek: Vids please

haha when i make some ill post them

How much time does it spend with that set up. What power level does the car typically see. And the most important question I have is...what halfshafts do you run now?:burnout: Probably would be more accurate to ask how much torque the halfshafts can take.

its about 25/75 on the power levels, the other 75% of the time its around 740rwhp. im running the level 5's with the stock ford inners. yea dss rates the axles in hp. its not hp that breaks them, its torque.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
crazy. was it the detroit locker that allowed you to keep driving?

Yea, otherwise I would have been done after that. Guess I should not have given the camaro the chance to get the jump and just went out. Think I hit it in 1st, ran out of 1st quick and then that hard shift to 2nd just shocked the halfshaft and that is when it broke.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
You can hear it hopping a little right before it broke...so that might have been the finishing blow.

Crazy seeing the one wheel peel though..lol

keith89

Established Member
Yea, otherwise I would have been done after that. Guess I should not have given the camaro the chance to get the jump and just went out. Think I hit it in 1st, ran out of 1st quick and then that hard shift to 2nd just shocked the halfshaft and that is when it broke.

lol yeah the 1 wheel peel was crazy. sick car though.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Inner CV shaft is definitely broken. Broke off in the differential. Pretty Ugly.
IMG_20110609_142418.jpg

IMG_20110609_124836.jpg

IMG_20110609_124548.jpg

IMG_20110609_124540.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread