Out of the box heads. Pay to get inspected?

_Snake_

Established Member
Yes. Cracks can occur in the casting process and they probably need to be decked to be completely flat. No sense in doing everything twice because of a "bad" part.

Signed,
6.0 Powerstroke owner for 11 years

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Yes. Cracks can occur in the casting process and they probably need to be decked to be completely flat. No sense in doing everything twice because of a "bad" part.

Signed,
6.0 Powerstroke owner for 11 years

Exactly... I have bolted on brand new factory heads (LS1 241 heads) only to find out one had a cracked water jacket.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I wouldn't be buying assembled anything from anyone that requires third party quality checks.

_Snake_

Established Member
I wouldn't be buying assembled anything from anyone that requires third party quality checks.

Very common to do this with brand new OEM Ford heads for the 6.0 because of the reasons I mentioned. Sometimes there's no way around it. I learned the hard way on that platform.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I would do a solid visual inspection on a set of Trickflows and AFR's. You can buy the kit to check for cracks yourself and it's fairly easy. Also, if you pick up a machinists straight edge you can check the deck as well.

I suppose I don't always trust machine shops. I'd rather do it all myself.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
How about a $5K set of CNC Fox Lake's? You gonna bring those to Joe Schmoe's machine shop to see if they check out?
That's why I said earlier depends on the brand.

Users who are viewing this thread