outlook 2010 won't send emails automatically. How do I fix this?

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
All sent items go to the outbox where I have to go and manually click them to send. I have a POP3 email account using comcast. I have tried turning off email protection in Norton and that didn't work. I have "send immediately box when connected" box checked and I also went into the "send receive groups" and selected all the check boxes and set the auto send/receive to 1 minute. I have it set to send/receive when I hit F9 and also to do it when I close outlook. None of this works. I still have to go into the outbox and open each email and hit send. This works just fine, but its annoying to constantly have to do this.

I tried to create a new rule, but it won't let me select 0 for the delay. It has to be between 1 minute and 120 minutes.

Is there a fix that I haven't tried yet? I tried searching and all I can get it people trying to setup email delay and I want to stop email delay. As soon as I click send I want the email sending, not just going to the outbox where I have to go into it and click send again.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So you can send the email manually? If so, the outgoing server port should be okay. I've never heard of email not going out automatically while you can send it manually, when you have Outlook set to send immediately.

What happens when it initially isn't send immediately? After the minute passes, is it then sent automatically, or does it just sit in the outbox until you manually send it. What happens when you close Outlook and open it again? Is it sent then?

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I'm on port 587.

I have to go in the outbox and manually send them. Doesn't matter if I close outlook and reopen it. The only way to send the emails is for me to go into the outbox and manually send each one. If I use my iphone to send an email then it goes automatically.

It's an outlook 2010 thing I think. I came from outlook 2003 and the emails sent as soon as I clicked send and so does 2007 which we use at work. This is so frustrating!

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
It's not in offline mode and I did try creating a new profile. If you read all the stuff online apparently MS in their infinite wisdom allowed outlook 2010 to have an option to hold sending emails in case you wanted to edit it or if you sent 1 in an irrational state you could change it when you calm down.

I just can't figure out why I can't get my emails to automatically send. I know its a setting somewhere and I have tried chasing everything Incan and working backwards with the guides on how to delay email sending. Nothing has worked.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Consider upgrading to Office 2013. I've been using it for a few months now and like it a lot.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I would upgrade to 2013, but I don't want to pay for it. There has to be a fix for the issue I'm having and the thought of giving MS money for something I don't really need annoys me. I got office 2010 w/ outlook free because support for 2003 stops in April or else I'd still be on 2003.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I understand about the price. However, if you don't like Microsoft (you're not alone), and come to a place where you just want to upgrade, take a look at Softmaker Office 2012. $99.00 buys you Office compatible versions of their spreadsheet, email client, presentation manager and word processor. Looks pretty good. Especially if you need an Outlook compatible email client, which pretty much all of the free Office alternatives exclude.
SoftMaker : SoftMaker Office 2012 for Windows : Overview

Users who are viewing this thread