Overdrive balancer install questions?

builttodrive

Established Member
I am installing an ATI 10% balancer on my 07 but I am wondering how far it is supped to press on the crank. I am coming close to the TDC mark on the aluminum front timing chain cover but I'm not pressed all the way flush to the end of the crank. I am probably within a 1/16th to an 1/8th from flush. There wasn't any mention of having to grind that TDC indicator for clearance. I know I have to grind some off the sensor tab for belt clearance.

justablur91

Established Member
i installed mine a few weeks ago, very straight foward here is what i did, used a 100mm lenght bolt from ace hareware and washer to get the balancer started onto the snout of the crank. after a couple turns and after it slid over the key way i installed a new factory length crank bolt and washer and kept on pressing it on until it bottomed out. removed bolt and washer and put some red locktite on it and followed ford torque sequence and thats it, make sure to apply black rtv silicone to the back side of washer before you install the bolt.
XwQl8NU.png

Last edited:

builttodrive

Established Member
That looks like my exact same system. Did your balancer go flush with the crank? It feels like my stock bolt is bottomed out and I'm roughly a 1/16th to an 1/8th away from the TDC marking on the front timing cover.

builttodrive

Established Member
My ATI 10% balancer hub never did sit flush to the crank snout. I was about a 1/16th to an 1/8" away from flush. I was < 1/32 away from the TDC mark on the front engine cover and pulley. Bolt seemed to be bottomed out so I swapped in a new bolt and torqued it there.

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
All you guys installing the ATI, are the stock crankshafts double keyed? I noticed theres 2 keyways on the used ati I bought and was curious if the crank was double keyed.

builttodrive

Established Member
All you guys installing the ATI, are the stock crankshafts double keyed? I noticed theres 2 keyways on the used ati I bought and was curious if the crank was double keyed.

No just a single key. when the keyway is in the 9 o'clock position on the crank the one key on the balancer hub will line the TDC mark up on the timing cover and the TDC mark on the outer ring of the balancer.

98ATLBlueCobra

Established Member
I have not done any crank pulley replacement Before so I have a couple of questions. I see someone saying to make sure to apply black silicone to the washer. What is the reason for this? Also since the key way is on the crank is it simply pull the old crank pulley assembly off and then match up the new one with the key way no need in worrying about tdc mark or anything or is it better to make sure where tdc is before u remove the original crank pulley assembly? This is one project I'm not all that familiar with.

Last edited:

builttodrive

Established Member
I have not done any crank pulley replacement Before so I have a couple of questions. I see someone saying to make sure to apply black silicone to the washer. What is the reason for this? Also since the key way is on the crank is it simply pull the old crank pulley assembly off and then match up the new one with the key way no need in worrying about tdc mark or anything or is it better to make sure where tdc is before u remove the original crank pulley assembly? This is one project I'm not all that familiar with.

I lined up the little TDC notch on the factory balancer and pulled it off. The ATI balancer hub I got had the two keyway spots on it but only one lined up with the TDC marker on the timing cover and the TDC mark on the outer ring of the balancer pulley. The keyway and TDC marks should line up with the crank in the 9 o'clock position.

May93

Established Member
Make sure you are using a new bolt for the install.They are only made to tq once

Does anyone have the torque sequence?

No just a single key. when the keyway is in the 9 o'clock position on the crank the one key on the balancer hub will line the TDC mark up on the timing cover and the TDC mark on the outer ring of the balancer.

Is this 9:00 when looking at the motor while standing in front?

I lined up the little TDC notch on the factory balancer and pulled it off. The ATI balancer hub I got had the two keyway spots on it but only one lined up with the TDC marker on the timing cover and the TDC mark on the outer ring of the balancer pulley. The keyway and TDC marks should line up with the crank in the 9 o'clock position.

With the price of this balancer its hard to believe that none of this is included in the directions. I believe I'll install the stock balancer long enough to establish TDC. Does anyone know why the ATI is doubled key to begin with?

Users who are viewing this thread