P-63 collides with B-17 in Dallas

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Just happened down at Dallas Executive during "Wings over Dallas/ Airshow", both were CAF aircraft.
the B-17 I've gotten confirmation was "Texas Raiders." All on board both aircraft were killed, just not sure of who or how many were in the B-17, or who was in the P-63
Looks like the B-17 checked up as the P-63 was in it's blind spot. Visability out of the P-63 is better than many other fighters of the time as the prop is powered via driveshaft going to the engine behind the cockpit but the wing prevented him from seeing the B-17 until they hit.
I can't remember the CAF having something like this happen. Before this the biggest event was when their HE-111 (spanish built) crashed in Wyoming in the 90s, and several very good pilots were lost.

The loss of human life trumps all, but losing these aircraft hurts as well. Seeing one in a museum vs seeing one go screaming overhead gives even more appreciation to the men and women who built and flew them.
It's a sad day.
b17_texasraiders.jpg

Reports are was a P-63 King Cobra not the P-39 Cobra

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Air shows are dangerous. As a kid I witnessed two fatalities at Air shows, so my Pop wouldn't take me to them any longer. So he took me to see the hydro races on the Potomac River. One of the boats hit an under water log a vaporized in front of the crowd about 100 yards out. No more events like that until Evil Knievel tried to jump the Grand canyon.

Also, did you know that there is a 10% mortality rate as a Blue Angel. Out of like 260 pilots since it started, 27 have lost thier life at shows or in training.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Just happened down at Dallas Executive during "Wings over Dallas/ Airshow", both were CAF aircraft.
the B-17 I've gotten confirmation was "Texas Raiders." All on board both aircraft were killed, just not sure of who or how many were in the B-17, or who was in the P-63
Looks like the B-17 checked up as the P-63 was in it's blind spot. Visability out of the P-63 is better than many other fighters of the time as the prop is powered via driveshaft going to the engine behind the cockpit but the wing prevented him from seeing the B-17 until they hit.
I can't remember the CAF having something like this happen. Before this the biggest event was when their HE-111 (spanish built) crashed in Wyoming in the 90s, and several very good pilots were lost.

The loss of human life trumps all, but losing these aircraft hurts as well. Seeing one in a museum vs seeing one go screaming overhead gives even more appreciation to the men and women who built and flew them.
It's a sad day.
View attachment 1769028
Reports are was a P-63 King Cobra not the P-39 Cobra
How horrible!

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Another angle from the front.
I doubt either plane saw the other.
The P-63 with the high bank angle was in a situation similar to that many high wing aircraft pilots get into except they cannot see above vs below the wing and end up in mid air colisions.
Question is was the B-17 supposed to stay low, and checked up? Or were the fighters supposed to maintain separation, and follow the bombers lead?
Honestly in formation or just near that many aircraft maintaining visual is paramount. Every moment you don't see them, it's changing.

Hearing those kids dosen't help, makes it the worst for me.

My cousin and I said/thought the same thing when we heard the news. At least it fell on the airfield, not somewhere populated and the people on board were dead on impact, well before the hell of the avgas fire.

Last edited:

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
That B-17 is/was part of the Gulf coast Squadron. The P-63 was one of only 2 F variants made, last in existence flown by the Dixie squadron.
I don't believe that this was intentional, but likely pilot error after several little problems turned into a big one.
I'm curious to hear more about the KingCobra pilot, and how many hours he had in that aircraft.
The more I watch the more it almost seems like he's not turning as tightly as intended but commits to it instead of breaking off, then safely reforming. But it's All speculation at this point .

wckdvnm

Established Member
Only 6 flying B-17’s left, one crashed last month as well. Out here in Kingman they still have a flying one as this area was a bomber and gunner training area. They offer flights where you can drop dummy bombs. It’s a shame but accidents happen unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
RIP

It looked like both crashed in an empty field; I guess silver lining is the planes didn't crash into a giant crowd
That's because they pushed the safety margin between crowd and said aircraft doing air displays back, I think it is something like 1/4 mile for prop 1/2 mile for sub sonic jets and a 3/4 of a mile for supersonic. I think this had to do with the one F-117 that broke up in the late 1990's and scattered on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread