P0301, P0304 DTCs

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I've recently had the P0301 and P0304 DTCs on my 13 Boss 302. When it happens the yellow engine symbol flashes and I have a brief reduction in power. The light disappears after 20-30 secs. and the car then resumes normal operation. Happens with standard key or track key.

Not sure if this is the issue described by the TSB (below) or something else, given there is a brief drivability issue (power reduction).

Anyone had this issue and had it fixed using the Ford TSB?? (see 2012/2013 Boss302/Mustang GT Ford Issued Technical Service Bulletin's

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Check the plugs?

Haven't done that as yet. I guess it's a possibility, though the car only has 35K miles on it. Seems pretty early for a plug problem? Also, the fact it's happened on different cylinders makes me wonder if it's more related to the TSB? Car is now in storage till next spring

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Haven't done that as yet. I guess it's a possibility, though the car only has 35K miles on it. Seems pretty early for a plug problem? Also, the fact it's happened on different cylinders makes me wonder if it's more related to the TSB? Car is now in storage till next spring
Could be a related. But 35k is alot of miles on plugs on a high performance car. Mods can also play a factor. I had 2 2013 5.0 and never had that issues.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Could be a related. But 35k is alot of miles on plugs on a high performance car. Mods can also play a factor. I had 2 2013 5.0 and never had that issues.
Car is completely stock. Will pull the plugs in the spring though to see how they look. Any idea what the Ford recommendation is on plug change interval? I'm guessing they are platinum plugs, which typically last a long time.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Car is completely stock. Will pull the plugs in the spring though to see how they look. Any idea what the Ford recommendation is on plug change interval? I'm guessing they are platinum plugs, which typically last a long time.
Ford recommends 100k. Personally on a performance vehicles thats too long.

Driving condition play a huge part. Norm freeway community miles 60k would be fine.

Racing i would say 20k miles

Mixed driving i would say 30-40k.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I've recently had the P0301 and P0304 DTCs on my 13 Boss 302. When it happens the yellow engine symbol flashes and I have a brief reduction in power. The light disappears after 20-30 secs. and the car then resumes normal operation. Happens with standard key or track key.

Not sure if this is the issue described by the TSB (below) or something else, given there is a brief drivability issue (power reduction).

Anyone had this issue and had it fixed using the Ford TSB?? (see 2012/2013 Boss302/Mustang GT Ford Issued Technical Service Bulletin's
That tsb would not apply considering you have driveability issues. The tsb is addressing false misfire codes that the ckp can set. You issue could either be ignition or injector related. The flashing CEL is because it's misfiring bad enough that it could cause cat damage and will cut power to keep them from melting. You can swap the coils to different cylinders to see if the misfire travels and same with the plugs. If it's not ignition I would check the injectors.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
That tsb would not apply considering you have driveability issues. The tsb is addressing false misfire codes that the ckp can set. You issue could either be ignition or injector related. The flashing CEL is because it's misfiring bad enough that it could cause cat damage and will cut power to keep them from melting. You can swap the coils to different cylinders to see if the misfire travels and same with the plugs. If it's not ignition I would check the injectors.
Thanks, appreciate the input.

Users who are viewing this thread