PA guys come in! Safety/Emissions Inspection Questions

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
I will be moving to Limerick, PA at the end of the month and I will need to take the Bullitt through safety inspection, and possibly emissions? According to some research I did, it looks like I have 2 options to bypass the emissions testing as I don't have cats, or any of the emissions equipment anymore.

Option 1: Classic Registration because the car is older than 15 years old, and I don't drive it more than once a week anyway.

Option 2: Regular Registration, but would be exempt from emissions because I'm under 5k miles per year.

Thoughts on my options? What do you guys do?

I'm also worried about some rando guy taking my wheels off the car to check the brakes and scratching the shit out of them. I'd throw my Bullitt wheels on, but I need 1/2" spacers in front to clear the brakes and PA only allows 1/4", plus the tires are pretty worn.

Does anyone know of any inspections places in that area that are lenient/car guys and won't hassle me/wreck my wheels? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Send me a PM. I’m nearby and have someone I use and trust and only take my cars to them. I’m licensed PA inspection mechanic but non practicing. They’re in Collegeville and I’m anal lol.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Wow that is one badass Bullitt!

Classic plates are nice because you don’t need emissions every year...but you still have to get the car inspected. So that would solve one of your two problems. I can’t remember the one-time fee for the PA classic plate...it used to be $75 but not sure what it is now.

If you keep the miles under 5k a year you are correct - you can get an emissions exemption sticker, but it will still need inspected. I’m not 100% sure if you need an inspection when you bring a car into PA, but if you have proof you put less than 5k miles on in the last year - like from last year’s sticker or registration - you might luck out.

Antique plates are the best...no inspection or emissions...but the car has to be 25 years old.

I would call PA AAA with questions about the different plates. They know their stuff.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
Send me a PM. I’m nearby and have someone I use and trust and only take my cars to them. I’m licensed PA inspection mechanic but non practicing. They’re in Collegeville and I’m anal lol.

PM sent, thanks!

Wow that is one badass Bullitt!

Classic plates are nice because you don’t need emissions every year...but you still have to get the car inspected. So that would solve one of your two problems. I can’t remember the one-time fee for the PA classic plate...it used to be $75 but not sure what it is now.

If you keep the miles under 5k a year you are correct - you can get an emissions exemption sticker, but it will still need inspected. I’m not 100% sure if you need an inspection when you bring a car into PA, but if you have proof you put less than 5k miles on in the last year - like from last year’s sticker or registration - you might luck out.

Antique plates are the best...no inspection or emissions...but the car has to be 25 years old.

I would call PA AAA with questions about the different plates. They know their stuff.

Thanks man, and thanks for the info! I will definitely give them a call and pick their brain. Right now I have to jump through hoops in CT to get the car to pass, so I have to figure all of this out again in PA.

Users who are viewing this thread