Paint brake calipers yay or nay?

Harding27

Im looking to have my calipers repainted OEM grey. Does anyone know what colour grey the stock calipers were on the terminators?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Obviously not as good as powder coating, but the G2 paint works well with good prep

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Im looking to have my calipers repainted OEM grey. Does anyone know what colour grey the stock calipers were on the terminators?

I'd say primer gray? Seriously though, it's pretty close I think.

I'm in the process of choosing a color for my calipers as well. It's not as easy to make a choice as one would think.

TP03

Established Member
Obviously not as good as powder coating, but the G2 paint works well with good prep

This.
post_image5.jpg

Used G2 on my last 2 cars. Works well and easy install after everything is clean. This pic was my old GT, used the same stuff on my cobra now.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
This.
View attachment 1521044
Used G2 on my last 2 cars. Works well and easy install after everything is clean. This pic was my old GT, used the same stuff on my cobra now.

I've used Engine enamel, caliper paint, and even Rust-Oleum on my first Mustang.
They all held up for the life of my ownership.

I'm going with VHT engine enamel for my Brembos I believe.

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That looks sick.

Did you take this somewhere to get the emblem laser etched, or do you own one?

Thank you!!

I actually created it on my computer. Printed it on decal paper and then placed it on the caliper. Then I clear coated over it to seal it and protect it. Now it's under the clear coat. So, it will not peel, scratch or other wise get damaged. Been on there like that since 2016 and no issues to date.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
It’s all in the prep if you can bake them like VHT recommends they turn out great, the VHT silver is very close to stock, use Vaseline over the cobra letters and after your clear them and it dries wipe the paint of the letters and throw them in the oven.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So painting calipers on a newly acquired vehicle from the factory would be much easier due to less prep? I'm asking the question in advance of my next vehicle.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Yeah, less time for brake dust to etch it’s way into the finish, the paint will not stick to the dust or if you have and fluid present. Depending on how crazy you go you can also sand the front part smooth (the part you see most) before you paint.
IMG_3628.JPG
IMG_3629.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
So painting calipers on a newly acquired vehicle from the factory would be much easier due to less prep? I'm asking the question in advance of my next vehicle.

Yes Bob, 03 Cobra DSG is correct. It's 95% sweat (prep) and 5% spray. The more time and effort you put into your prep the better the paint job will be. Also, starting with a new vehicle will help speed up the process immensely.

This is what I started with. Needless to say I had a lot of prep work to do. Got to love starting on 13 year old (at the time) brakes:

Caliper 05.JPG

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I figured that would be the case. Thanks for the two responses to my question. Nice job with cleaning up your rotors/calipers. The before and after is jaw dropping.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I have tried both paint and powder coat. Powder coat is still lasting. After 4 years. Tried g2 and vht high heat engine paint it all fades if your car sees some miles.

I vote powder coat

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
IMG_0152.JPG
My opinion? Which is usually different than mainstream..., chrome plate those bastards!
Painted calipers, (other than OEM) has been done to death IMO. Kinda like black wheels, Abercrombie shirts, etc.
Dare to be different. In a unique cool way. Plus, chrome matches ANY body color or wheel selection. Carry on.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1521734 My opinion? Which is usually different than mainstream..., chrome plate those bastards!
Painted calipers, (other than OEM) has been done to death IMO. Kinda like black wheels, Abercrombie shirts, etc.
Dare to be different. In a unique cool way. Plus, chrome matches ANY body color or wheel selection. Carry on.

How does the chrome hold up to brake dust, debris, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread