Paint chip w/mystichrome

HPLouis

Established Member
I don’t use pens or touch-up bottles with brushes. They tend to leave a “blob” of paint. For my cars, I buy a can of spray paint from

www.automotivetouchup.com

The paints are always a good match, Mystichrome included. For chips, I spray the paint into the lid and apply it with a small brush. It is thinner/runnier than regular touch-up paint and allows you to fill the chip flush/level.

Regarding the black primer, I would not try to put any in the chip prior to filling it with paint. It will be more of a pain than what it is worth. The black will go up the “walls” of the chip and give you problems. If I was going to repaint a section, like a bumper cover or fender, I would absolutely use black primer. For a chip, I’d skip it and just fill with base coat paint.

I remember you posted this method a while ago and I started do it that way and it works. The thinner formula works much better.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How much masking did you do using the spray? I would imagine quite a bit to avoid overspray.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
How much masking did you do using the spray? I would imagine quite a bit to avoid overspray.
If you are asking me this Bob, I don’t spray the car... I step outside of my garage and spray the paint into the lid (I use the lid like a cup). I then go back inside to the car and use a small brush, dunking it in the paint, to fill in the chip. If it’s a tiny chip, that’s all I do. If it’s a bigger chip, I have put clear over top using the same technique. I have also been known to wet sand/polish bigger chips when done filling them in.

Users who are viewing this thread