Paint over powder coat?

coposrv

Established Member
Picked up a set of stern face 2 wheels. The centers have been powder coated blue. It’s awful. I’d like to paint over instead of stripping and re-powder coating. The powder coat was done 2/3 years ago and is in great shape. Should I just scuff/prime paint them?

IMG_1445.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I don't see why that wouldn't work if done properly but getting a good scuff around all those rivets will be a chore, or impossible.
What are these going on?

coposrv

Established Member
I don't see why that wouldn't work if done properly but getting a good scuff around all those rivets will be a chore, or impossible.
What are these going on?

Yeah the bolt holes won’t be fun but they’re larger than the picture illustrates. I’m having new lips and barrels made and then they’re going on my 01 cobra.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
The bolt holes won't be a problem but those rivet depressions will suck.
I had a strut tower brace for my Shelby chromed a few years ago. It was powder coated silver. My chrome shop did find a solvent that removed the PC. A permitted product. If I was serious about a set of wheels long term, I'd consider stripping.
If it's a quick job, try to sand the piss out of them & make it happen. Those rivet holes tho, will drive you insane to sand correctly & make paint actually adhere long term.
To add, wheels with rivets are not on any of my cars. Polishing, cleaning is bad enough without adding another set of obstacles.

coposrv

Established Member
Those aren’t rivets. That’s where the face is bolted to the lips and barrels.

Users who are viewing this thread