Paint protection...What is the best option?

jserr68594

Established Member
I am awaiting the arrival of my new lightning blue super crew. I am trying to determine what is my best option for paint protection.

I am not one to wax every couple of months, but am not opposed to doing something say once a year. Professionally installed ceramic coating seems like it is the best (However expensive) option. A five year coating runs about $1000. It seems like a lot to spend.

What other options may be a good route to go? Is there something that can be applied by an amateur that will hold up for a reasonable period of time?

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
A lot of people run the PPF film and a ceramic coating on top of that, which is way beyond $1,000. More like 2-4k, which all depends on how much PPF film you want on your vehicle.
I have Cquartz Finest ceramic coating on my truck and will do so again next year. All professionally done of course, as with Cquartz Finest, only approved and certified detail shops can apply it. My cost was 950 bucks back in 2016.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
1.) Ceramic/Glass coating. Ease of maintenance, looks, durability, protection, etc. With proper maintenance, it does it all very well for quite some time. Longevity: 1-3 years realistically.

2.) Synthetic sealant. These will have some of the above characteristics, but will not last as long. Longevity: 4-10 months.

3.) Wax. Again, similar properties as above, however your longevity nose dives at around a 2-3 month maximum.

The above is for a well maintained vehicle that sees average use and is not abused.

If you want to delve into a coating, there are some consumer coatings that are very good and would serve you quite well for approximately 1 year +/-. Do some research, watch some videos and let us know what you decide to do!

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Go with the best clear bra on the truck. You can do the just front end mirrors sides or the entire vehicle. I have it on my 2018 explorer and 2012 GT 500. Been on my Shelby for 6 years and looks day 1.... no chips or scratches. Had it on a daily driver Grand Prix GXP for 6 years and looked great.

Polish or wax it and your good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I've seen those clear bras fade to yellow, then they are just fugly. Not to.mention they look like a long scratch along the edges.
I vote for ceramic.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I've seen those clear bras fade to yellow, then they are just fugly. Not to.mention they look like a long scratch along the edges.
I vote for ceramic.

That was the the old fugly clear bras. I’ve had mine on for 6 years and looks fantastic...like day one and guaranteed not to fade yellow. I get many compliments on how great it looks and you really don’t notice the break line as much since the film is much thinner than the old fugly styles.
I have it on a 2012 GT500 and a 2018 Explorer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Imatk

Established Member
Not to mention ceramic coating isn't going to do a thing against a rock chip.

I've had the clear bra on my Shelby for years and it looks perfect.

I would vote for a clear bra and then ceramic coating. You can apply coatings as a DIY but if you averse to waxing then you probably wouldn't want to mess with it... they're harder to get right than wax and easy to mess up if you don't know what you're doing. Not to mention once you mess it up it has to be polished off.

KEVINS

Established Member
I did ceramic coating hoping to prevent the paint from getting etched from bird bombs. Within two days I found out it doesn't do a thing to prevent it so the paint it now etched.

I've been told that the films will etch also but maybe it won't etch down to the paint and in that case the film could be removed and redone if the etchings get too bad.

ks

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I vote for ceramic.

my car has the 3m clear stuff from close to 10 years ago and its just recently started to yellow. I have it on my front bumper and behind the rear wheels, it isn't noticeable at all so long as you dont get wax or something under the edges)

I did ceramic coating hoping to prevent the paint from getting etched from bird bombs. Within two days I found out it doesn't do a thing to prevent it so the paint it now etched.

I've been told that the films will etch also but maybe it won't etch down to the paint and in that case the film could be removed and redone if the etchings get too bad.

ks

hmmm, I was assuming it would protect against this as well, good to know! My next truck will get a clear bra treatment and some kind of coating. It sits outside all the time in the FL sun and gets fairly dusty at work, I dont wanna wax it every 2-3 months.

bceeezy

Established Member

ks

It's highly possible that it didn't reach the clear, and you just need to either compound or polish the area and reapply the ceramic coating.

KEVINS

Established Member
It's highly possible that it didn't reach the clear, and you just need to either compound or polish the area and reapply the ceramic coating.

I'm perfectly aware of what happened and it was into the clear. Had to sand with 3000 grit to get it smooth again.

ks

KEVINS

Established Member
Unfortunately it happens every time a birds shits on it. This time it sat on the car for about 2hrs before I saw it and was able to wash it off but it still etched into the clear.

I was hoping the coating would prevent these issues it but it didn't make a bit of difference. That's why I mentioned using a film instead. The film could be removed then reapplied and hopefully the etching would be on the film and not penetrate to the clear.

ks

bceeezy

Established Member
Unfortunately it happens every time a birds shits on it. This time it sat on the car for about 2hrs before I saw it and was able to wash it off but it still etched into the clear.

I was hoping the coating would prevent these issues it but it didn't make a bit of difference. That's why I mentioned using a film instead. The film could be removed then reapplied and hopefully the etching would be on the film and not penetrate to the clear.

ks
Yeah it sucks how much bird bombs mess up finishes, but the cost to replace ppf would be substantially more than repolish or compound one spot and recoat. I do wonder how the newer self-healing ppfs would hold up to bird crap etchings. I do really like the ppf I have on my wife's car which is also coated for a little more hydrophobicity.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CV355

_
Established Member

ks

A few years back I spent a full weekend detailing my Volvo- full treatment and all with hand polishing (didn't have the Flex at that point in time). I was all proud. A few days later I was walking back up the driveway from my mailbox and I saw this massive white mark on the hood. I got up closer and saw, no joke, a 4" explosion of bird dook. Without thinking too much I yelled out "what the hell!? Did an albatross **** on my car?!?!" My neighbor, who I did not know was outside, started laughing hysterically.

Long story short, that **** etched bad. Uric acid eats through wax and sealants, and it varies in concentration based on what the nasty winged creature was eating. I caught it the same day it happened and it had already etched in so deep it took serious polishing to get it out.

I hate birds.

Users who are viewing this thread