painted the rear bumper valence today (pics)

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
decided to paint the lower valence on the rear bumper flat black today like how some gt's come from the factory. it was a pretty strait forward procedure. masked up the area (was kind of a bitch cuz of all the curves), mask up whole rear of the car to avoid overspray, sand down the to be painted surface, wash sanded area with dish soap, then hit it with 4 light coats. 1 of them i did a bit to heavy and got some runs but they are hard to see unless u look real close. i think it turned out pretty good.

what do ya think?

lowevalencemaskit3.jpg

lowervalence001zf6.jpg

lowervalence002wf9.jpg

lowervalence003ht7.jpg

Marcosvt

Svt Power
Established Member
Thats great bro i actually wanted to get that on mine but they charge me 60 bucks, i really have to know how to get it done myself.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
That looks really good. I was about to do the same thing to my 98 cobra before I traded it.

-Jeff

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Looks good! Next time use 3/4 inch tape. Stick one end and bend as you go. Save yourself some time. But looks good!

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Adds a nice look to the rear end. You did a good job, Zach ... it compliments the black gas tank cover, that you obviously painted. Real nice project!:banana:

BTW, did you use just regular Auto Zone/type spray paint?

Last edited:

ARdoller

Established Member
damn you guys really went overkill on covering up the car. i went about half way up my bumper, and covered the tail pipes, and didnt get a spot on anything but where i was painting.

SoddyRebel

Darkside
Established Member
looks very good man, i did it to my old 97, i kno 94-95 came that way, 94-95 gt's atleast, but they all should have been black stock, never knew why they changed it.

Last edited:

Marcosvt

Svt Power
Established Member
Also guys, kind of new to self projects. When u said 4 coats u mean 4 sprays of the black paint back and forth, also how long did it take bro might try it soon.

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
Adds a nice look to the rear end. You did a good job, Zach ... it compliments the black gas tank cover, that you obviously painted. Real nice project!:banana:

BTW, did you use just regular Auto Zone/type spray paint?

it was duplicolor regular flat black. and actually i didnt paint the gas tank cover..i think i just put some back to black on it from meguiers. that stuff works wonders on black trim.

Users who are viewing this thread